Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-profit organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood, and enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We believe in the power and potential of every child, but know this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination.
Location: Maidguri, Borno
Type of Role: 13 month fixed term contract
Reports to: Emergency Response Manager
- This 36 month project aims to restore the peaceful coexistence and social cohesion of the population affected by the conflict in the Lake Chad Basin to be implemented in Nigeria, Cameroon and Niger. The project has the objective to promote social cohesion through the rehabilitation of social infrastructure and the integration of IDPs and refugees. In Nigeria, the project will ensure adolescent girls and boys, as well as young women and men in Yobe state of Nigeria have access to appropriate and timely SRHR and nutrition services and structures and Community mediation structures are in place in the project areas to prevent and deal with conflicts between members of the community and to promote non-violent and peaceful coexistence of the various different groups living there.
- The project will be implemented by Plan International Nigeria in 5 LGAs of Yobe state in collaboration with the Yobe State Ministry of Health, Yobe State Primary Health Care Development Agency, local CSO partners and other relevant stakeholders.
- The post holder will be responsible for overseeing and managing the peace building, conflict prevention and resolution at community level and social cohesion components of the overall North-East Nigeria program and Lake Chad region.
Dimensions of the Role
- Ensure internal and external synergies, collaboration and information sharing and mutual learning of the program partners, as well as the involvement of relevant actors.
- Support the development of a comprehensive peacebuilding and social cohesion strategy for the North-East Nigeria program; and develop tools/methodologies to enhance mainstreaming of social cohesion approach across the program
- Monitor the political and social developments in the country and program sites, keeping up to date with conflict analyses, to identify needs and opportunities for project improvement and adjustment
- Provide support and guidance for the program team in the areas of conflict sensitive programming; identify and recommend remedial measures to address problems in program design or implementation
- Work on a range of projects across the humanitarian and development functional area, with a specific focus on social cohesion and integration issues. For example, to reduce prejudice and discrimination, to increase trust between community members, interventions that tackle extremism etc.
- Effectively coordinate program partners for the social cohesion, peacebuilding and, providing guidance and technical support to ensure that different projects and interventions are well aligned and integrated.
- Lead efforts to increase community participation in local peacebuilding and conflict prevention
- Identify capacity-building needs and provide training and mentorship for partners, to ensure they are capable to implement projects and accomplish quality results
- Conduct knowledge management: documenting and sharing project information and lessons learned between partners and stakeholders, to maximize the impact and contribute to future program strategy and direction
- Liaise with specialized institutions, universities and organizations to strengthen the relevant program component and Plan International expertise as well as to organize operational research studies, workshops and conferences as adequate
- Support the Emergency Response Manager in producing progress reports and donor reports on the peacebuilding, and social cohesion activities.
Human Resource Development:
- Ensure the ongoing capacity building of program team on peace building and social cohesion
- Ensure appropriate support to the team
- Support field staff in the implementation of standards and best practices on peace building and social cohesion.
- Support the coaching of key staff to improve competencies on social cohesion and peace building.
Learning and Knowledge Management:
- Shares information within the Programme and operational team in a systematic timely manner.
- Facilitates processes for internal and external knowledge sharing among national programmes teams in the region and supports such processes between regions
- Participates in global/regional projects/networks as requested.
- Develop Knowledge management materials on Plan International peace building and social cohesion work.
- Support resource mobilisation efforts of proposal writing and budgeting and related engagement.
Dealing with Problems:
- Ability to manage competing priorities and expectations from internal and external stakeholders and remain calm and resilient in the face of pressure.
- Use Plan procedures to settle conflicts among colleagues;
- Resolve problems that are not covered by established process.
- Analyse possible causes of problems and suggest solutions to get them resolved.
- Refer, whenever necessary, the case to the Emergency Response Manager for consideration.
- Prepare and submit relevant information for programme reports and proposals for domestic and international consumption.
- Provide timely responses concerning queries linked with relevant projects or programmes.
- Report to the Emergency Response Manager;
- Provide advice and support to Plan International Nigeria’s programme delivery and resource mobilisation.
- Work with other members of the programme the units to ensure effective and efficient programme delivery.
Technical Expertise, Skills and Knowledge
- Demonstrable international experience in a relevant position
- Proven experience in peace-building, and/or inter-religions engagement, and/or social cohesion
- Proven field experience and experience in working with international donors
- In-depth knowledge of international standards for humanitarian / development programs
- Strong program management skills and experience including program proposal development, logical framework, monitoring and report writing
- Proven communication and leadership skills including the ability to diplomatically manage the relationship with local partners, different authorities and donors
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work and deal successfully in multi-cultural environment as a flexible and respectful team player
- University degree in Political Sciences and/or International Development, Peace and Conflict Studies, Social Sciences, Social Cohesion and Law or related subjects
- Fluency in English (written and spoken) required
- Travel to Programme activities as required as necessary to ensure that programme are effectively monitored
Level of Contact with Children:
- Medium to low contact- the job responsibilities of this position require the post holder to have medium to low contact with children. It is expected that children shall be protected at all times.
Method of Application
Click here for More Information (docx)
Note: We may start shortlisting before the Application Closing Date.
Interested and qualified? Go to Plan International career website on jobs.plan-international.org to apply