UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Peace and Security Cluster
The UNOPS Peace and Security Cluster (PSC) is a principal service provider in the field of mine action with the United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS), UNDP, UNICEF, Governments of mine-affected countries and other mine action partners. The Head of Cluster is responsible to administer, provide support and oversight of the day-to-day management of the Project Field offices, both according to the client requirements and in line with UNOPS rules and regulations. It is headed by the Head of Cluster who has the overall authority and accountability for the performance of the Peace and Security Cluster on behalf of its clients.
Background Information - Job-specific
UNMAS Nigeria plans, manages and oversees all mine action activities in north-east Nigeria. It provides technical support to all partners and ensures the proper integration of mine action into wider humanitarian assistance and developmental programmes. UNMAS deployed to Nigeria in July 2018.
* CANDIDATES WITH NO UN OR UNOPS EXPERIENCE ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY!
* FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY!
The Information Management Associate will be based in Maiduguri in the UNMAS office situated in a UN compound and will work under the direct supervision of the Programme and Communications Officer.
The Information Management (IM) Associate will coordinate the Information Management System for Mine Action (IMSMA) for UNMAS Nigeria and he/she will be responsible for the following tasks:
Information Management (IM) Responsibilities:
- Ensure proper functioning of IMSMA database including installing and maintaining IMSMA database
- Install IMSMA on partners devices and train partners on its use
- Ensure the accuracy and operational functioning of the designed links of the database
- Train junior staff on IMSMA and provide remote support to UNMAS programmes
- Verify and record all field data from implementers and partners into the IMSMA database
- Perform quality assurance and related checks during and after data entry
- Produce statistics and reports from the data
- Create and maintain comprehensive soft and hard archive systems
- Update both soft and hard archive systems on weekly basis
- Create and maintain the file and document management system of the programme
- Create and update IM processes Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Engage with Mine Action partners to obtain information and improve data collecting
- Liaise with partners and represent UNMAS Nigeria in meetings related to the functions
- Make recommendations and provide advice on the technical information management requirements
- Conduct monthly checks of IMSMA reports to ensure completeness, integrity and quality
Geographic Information System (GIS) Responsibilities:
- Prepare and print informative maps with mine action and other available data
- Maintain and contribute to the operations mapping archive
- Assist with IT and other general computer related issues
- Contribute to Network Administration
- Assist with Database training and technical assistance to implementing partners and external stakeholders
- Create and update photo catalogue of received photos from mine action activities
- Perform any other duties assigned by the Programme and Communications Officer
Provide reports related to UNMAS Nigeria work plan.
Open to Nationals or persons with a valid Nigeria residence/work permit
- An advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in information management, computer science, Geographic Information Systems (GIS) or related field with a minimum of one year of relevant experience; OR
- A first level university degree (Bachelor's degree or equivalent) in information management, computer science, Geographic Information Systems or related field with a minimum of three years of relevant experience; OR
- A secondary education degree (High School Diploma or equivalent) and a minimum of seven years of relevant experience
- Relevant experience is defined as experience in information management, computer science, GIS, database management or data collection
- Experience with handling confidential data and understanding of different data collection methodologies is desired
- Experience in web design and software development is desired
Fluency in English (speaking, writing and reading) is required
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to UNOPS career website on jobs.unops.org to apply