|Summary of key functions: Working as part of a team, the Research Associate contributes to the following:
Provides assistance to UNDP management, programmes and projects focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Assist EPU or Imclusive Growth and UNDP management on economic and development issues
- Assist in knowledge building on economic and development issues
- Assist strategic partnerships and support to resource mobilization
- Assist the promotion of UNDP’s mandate and mission
- Assist in the provision of relevant information, reports, tools and other references to facilitate technical preparations and implementation of National, District HDRs, MDGR, Development Plans as well as other papers and products required to promote human development.
Provides assistance to UNDP and counterparts and facilitation of knowledge building focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Assist in tracking of economic data, provision of periodic analysis of economic and development issues and production of relevant reports aimed at promoting equitable economic growth and human development.
- Contribute to the provision of analysis and substantive inputs to CCA, UNDAF, CPD, CPAP and other strategic documents.
- Contribute to the provision of economic inputs to all relevant UNDP programmes and projects for aligning UNDP programmes with national policies and priorities.
- Assist in the analysis of economic environment and synthesis of proposals on possible areas for UNDP support to ensure that UNDP programmes are in line with national policies and priorities and are strategically positioned.
- Assist in the production and launch of economic reports, including National Human Development Reports.
- Assist in writing of regular briefs on country economic situation.
Assist in the creation of strategic partnerships and support to resource mobilization focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Assist in analysis of the country’s macro-economic policies and their impact on poverty reduction, growth, equity, etc.
- Assist in the sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice through identification of best practices and lessons learned.
- Assist in the management of the office in facilitation of policy dialogue on economic issues with the Government, private sector, civil society and donors
- Assist in provision of capacity building support on economic issues to office staff
Assist the promotion of awareness of UNDP’s mandate and mission focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Assist UNDP in resource mobilization by preparing analytical papers documentation for donor and consultative meetings.
- Assist in analysis and research of information on donors; preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation.
- Assist in creation of strategic partnerships by preparing notes, speeches and statements for UNDP officials and consultative meetings.
Assist in provision of relevant support to the technical preparation of NHDR, DHDRs, MDGR and Development Plans focusing on achieving the following results:
- Contribute to advocacy for the Millennium Development Goals, Human Development and equitable economic growth by participating in relevant forums, conferences and trainings.
- Assist in monitoring progress and formulation of strategies towards the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals.
- Assist in the management of events and publications on economic issues.
Impact of Results
- Assist in keeping track and maintain record of all meetings, activities and materials related to the HDR activities and inform UNDP and the Coordinator of pertinent issues
- Assist in keeping track of development trends in Nigeria and bring up pertinent human development issues for attention;
- Assist in the maintenance of up to date work plan for the HDR, as approved or revised by the Coordinator and the UNDP, and inform concerned parties of impending deadlines;
- Assist in the making inputs into the reports on MDGs, Development Plans and general human development issues in Nigeria
The key results of the post assist in strengthening UNDP’s contributions to the national policy dialogue and enhance the policy impact of UNDP programmes and projects. In particular, the key results have an impact on the design of programmes and the work of the Economic Policy & Inclusive Growth Unit. The post supports the visibility of UNDP in the discussion about economic policies and analysis.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
Knowledge Management and Learning
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Shares knowledge and experience and contribution to 'UNDP Country Programme areas' and actively works towards continuing personal learning and development
- Ability to support top quality policy support services on economic issues
- Practical knowledge of inter-disciplinary development issues
Management and Leadership
- Good knowledge of economics and current development issues particularly those pertinent to 'UNDP Country Programme areas'.
- Ability to assist in analysis of data, application of conceptual models, policy frameworks
- Ability to assist in formulation and evaluation of development programmes and projects
- Ability to support the Unit apply economic theory to the specific country context, carry out high-quality economic research
- Focuses on impact and result and responds positively to critical feedback
- Encourages risk-taking in the pursuit of creativity and innovation
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
- Builds strong relationships with within and outside UNDP