Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an International non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 99 countries around the world. CRS programs assist person on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality works through local church and non-church partners to implement its programs, therefore, strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations is fundamental to programs in every country in which CRS operates. CRS re-established presence in Nigeria m 2000 and currently focuses on agriculture, HIV and health extractives and governance, and peace building programming.
Report to: Head of Operation
Location: Abuja Nigeria
Duration: 6 Months (Renewable)
- The Security Manager post is located in Abuja, Nigeria and charged with the responsibility for ensuring the safety and security of CRS staff and assets in Nigeria.
- The post provides technical leadership and oversight on all matters related to security and safety of CRS personnel and assets. The post holder is charged with developing, updating, maintaining, disseminating and ensuring staff compliance with, the Nigeria Field Security Plan (FSP) as well as security and safety policies, procedures and advisories for all staff working with Nigeria, and coordinating the same with the Security Officer and staff based in satellite offices.
- S/he will represent CRS at all security forums in Abuja (and outside as necessary) and will develop strong professional relationships with other lNGOs and the UN agencies on security related issues.
- The post holder will also establish and nurture effective working relationships and mutual trust with the official government agencies of law and order and security enforcement in Abuja and other parts of Nigeria at all levels.
- The post holder will ensure that Abuja based international and national staff are fully informed of, prepared for and responsive to potential emergency and security threats.
- The post holder will take the lead in revising or developing new security procedures, standards and SOPs for CRS Nigeria as deemed necessary.
- An important part of the Security Officer's responsibility is the mainstreaming of emergency preparedness planning, security and staff safety management into all project activities and strengthening the technical and management capacity of CRS staff on security matters.
Safety and Security:
- Ensure Nigeria program, compliance with CRS staff safety and security policies and protocols so that CRS personnel, assets and image are protected.
- Participate in recruitment, management and evaluation of security service providers and personnel. Coordinate closely with security service providers.
- Supervise guards and ensure that they are working as per their responsibilities and they have the up-ta- dote security information.
- Coordinate with country-level security committees, staff and key contacts from other agencies operating in the Abuja area, including OSAC and UN/DSS agencies.
- Attend UN & I/NGO security meetings, gather relevant security incident information, and report back to CR, Head of Ops or Head of Programs on significant security details from these meetings,
- Monitor continuously the security situation in Nigeria with a focus on Abuja.
- Advise on security and safety policies and procedures for all CRS Nigeria field locations in line with GoN, UN and most important, CRS guidelines
- Develop and maintain effective security communication tree system Conduct (day and night) communication checks and inform guards, drivers about any security updates.
- Ensure clear security procedures for checking entry and exit of all the vehicles and visitors into CRS compound(s).
- Provide spot checks at night to ensure that guards are awake and are patrolling the compound
- Periodically check to ensure all first aid boxes in CRS vehicles are easily identified and fully stocked.
- Working with the administration team, assess some of the hotel facilities regularly used by CRS staff to ascertain the security level and advise senior management as necessary.
- Coordinate security and safety briefings for all CRS staff and visitors
- Review, improve and adjust CRS staff tracking systems as necessary.
- Ensure regular updating of the CRS Safety Portal.
- Ensure that all staff have access to and have road and fully understand their FSR
- Carry out regular assessments to review and monitor compliance by staff to security protocols including the updating of the Employee Locator when moving out of the country of posting.
- Cultivate and lead an Nigeria program community of practice among country-level security point persons and other interested parties to encourage learning and implementation of best practices in the area of security management
- Ensure training of staff in proper convoy, radio and Thuraya usage and/or procedures
- Track road safety incidents and accident reports, and make recommendation for reducing such incidents.
- Attend to vehicle accidents involving CRS vehicles as well as security incidents and provide assistance and guidance
- Participate and contribute as necessary towards CRS Emergency and Development programs
- Provide technical assistance to CRS partners as requested by them and as needed.
- Provide technical assistance to CR5 in conducting investigations at CRS level or partners as required.
Security Planning, Documentations and Reporting:
- Review country-level Field Security Plan periodically and identify need for revisions and ensure annual revision of FSPs.
- Ensure preparation of contingency plans for times of expected crisis, such as during elections.
- Provide Nigeria program with security analysis on at least a quarterly basis based on safety and security incidents in order to inform investment decisions in training, equipment purchases/transfers, staffing, and other budget items related to security management.
- Ensure frequent communication depending upon the security context with all field offices and update Country Representative, and senior management of any security threats and/or incidents
- Set up a fortnightly reporting system to keep all International staff updated on key Security issues. This will include compilation of reports received from security networks Nigerian Government sources and UN.
- Ensure that reports on all safety and security incidents gathered and reported to CR within 24 hours of
- incident, including after-action reviews as appropriate.
- Share relevant security information promptly including changes in the security situation to all staff via
- frontline, SMS, or whichever technology is used by CRS, on the internal security tree.
- Conduct regular safety and security checks of CRS offices and staff houses and make necessary and improvements to structures, equipment, systems, etc when necessary.
- Develop a security action plan for reinforcement of security measures at the Nigeria office compound and the residences of CRS international staff.
- Conduct initial security assessments before the hiring of new CRS offices/programs and international staff residences.
- Ensure all accommodation and office facilities are secured according to CRS staff and security guidelines
- Ensure compliance with Fire Safety standards and preparedness, including availability, placement and adequacy of relevant equipment and signage, as well as appointment and training of Fire Marshals, conducting fire-drills, etc.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor's degree in related field.
- Excellent communication skills- both oral and written,
- Minimum 5 years experience working in security-sensitive environments.
- Undergone formal training in security.
- Demonstrated ability to transfer knowledge through formal and informal training.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should click here to download the CRS Application form and send with a detailed resume as attached MS word documents to: NG_HR@global.crs.org Only applications sent in the required format will be considered.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale