FINCA is a leading international Microfinance Institution offering financial services and products to small scale businesses that have been turned down by traditional banks, so that these businesses can start, grow, and diversify with resulting increases in family income, nutrition, employment and well-being.
FINCA pioneered the "Village Banking method of credit delivery, now used by hundreds of organizations worldwide. Our programs reach low-income people in more diverse countries than any other microfinance provider.
Location: Owerri, Imo
About the Job
- FINCA is recruiting for an experienced, self-motivated and hands-on Chief Accountant to join FINCA Microfinance Bank Limited, Nigeria. This is a senior management position in the Finance and Administrative department and reports directly to the Chief Finance Officer (CFO), and is responsible for the overall supervision of the department, safeguards the company’s physical and financial assets with the aim of maximizing value for the company, reviews the inventory as well as the accounts records and further oversees the smooth running of the department in the absence of the CFO.
- Additionally, h/she is responsible for the accuracy of financial reports, compliance with accounting standards and FINCA’s Subsidiary’s accounting policies and procedures and ensures compliance with Central Bank of Subsidiary’s and statutory requirements, while working with the regional offices to improve the qualities of financial records. The treasury responsibility of cash-flow forecasting, Liquidity management and investment management shall be under his/her supervision.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Management of the Accounting Unit:
- Supervise, train, and manage performance of all accounting staff of FINCA.
- Evaluate and improve work processes to improve efficiency, quality and reliability.
- Be a driving force in capacity building for head office and branch finance staff in terms of technical as well as managerial skills; design and implement development plans for all employees under his/her supervision
- Ensure performance evaluations for all accounting staff are done on time and to a high standard of quality
Tax & Accounting:
- Work with the legal department to ensure that the institution’s tax affairs are managed on a timely basis to ensure 100% compliance in terms of reporting and payment deadlines
- Supervise the preparation, recording, control, monitoring, maintenance and reconciliation of financial transactions and provide overall management of the accounts of the company at all levels of operation (branch, head office, etc.)
- Monitor and manage accounts to control for fraud, loss or mismanagement. This includes management of suspense and transitory account balances, identification of mis-postings or irregular balances or transactions.
- Manage and monitor the use of accounting software and the accounting module of the core banking system and ensure correct functioning of accounting systems
- Ensure timely preparation and fair presentation of accounting records, financial statements and tax/statutory withholding returns in accordance with internal procedures and policies, IFRS accounting standards and all applicable regulatory requirements and avail financial reports and records to Management, the Board or other stakeholders as required.
- Maintain ownership over accuracy and completeness of all reconciliations, internal reports and external party reports.
- Manage all treasury processes as regards cash flow forecasting, liquidity management and investment management of the bank and/or other functions that may be assigned.
Budgeting, Audit and Other:
- Drive the annual budgeting and forecasting process to successful completion.
- Facilitate internal and external audits in conformity with FINCA International, Central Bank and other government agency (i.e. tax) reporting requirements and act as the principal contact during the interim and final audits
- Represent the CFO and CD in tax and other government agencies inspections
- Coordinate annual inventory of fixed assets in all branches and Head Office
- Ensure prompt filing and proper organization of accounting documents
- Take on ad hoc tasks as delegated by the Chief Financial Officer.
Qualifications and Experience
- University degree Accounting or its equivalent with ACA/ACCA
- Master’s Degree will be an added advantage.
- At least 5 years of post-qualification experience - 2 years in supervising accounting functions
- Proven experience working with at least one accounting package or banking application.
- Strong Experience in financial management of a company, desirably financial institution.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word and PowerPoint).
- A sound knowledge of micro finance, principles and practices of banking.
- Leading with integrity - Reinforces our values through daily behavior and holds others accountable to ethical behavior
- Employee engagement - Maintains a fulfilling work environment and engages staff based on their strengths. Mentors others to develop their skills and provides feedback on performance regularly.
- Responsible for results - Takes responsibility for own actions and manages others to focus on key priorities.
- Recruitment and staffing - Makes quality hiring decisions; Forecasts staffing needs accurately; Follows Company hiring process
- Managing People - Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; Takes responsibility for subordinates activities; Makes self available to staff; Provides regular performance feedback; Develops subordinates skills and encourages growth; continually works to improve supervisory skills.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
- Financial responsibility - Conserves organizational resources and works within budget guidelines.
Candidate other requirements:
- To perform the job successfully, the candidate should demonstrate the following competencies and qualities:
- An effective implementer of organization’s accounting entries
- Willingness to relocate to Owerri, Nigeria and to travel within the country (50% of the time)
- Good understanding of IT issues in core banking systems related to accounting
- Strong fit to FINCA’s desired corporate culture and values, and commitment to furthering FINCA’s mission and vision. In particular, must demonstrate a commitment to transparency and integrity
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications and Resume in Word or PDF format and less than 4 pages to: firstname.lastname@example.org Using the "Job Title" as the subject of the mail.