The International Rescue Committee, one of the world’s largest humanitarian agencies, provides relief, rehabilitation and post-conflict reconstruction support to victims of natural disaster, oppression and violent conflict in 42 countries. The IRC is committed to bold leadership, innovation and creative partnerships. Active in public health, education, livelihoods, women's empowerment, youth development, and protection and promotion of rights, IRC assists people from harm to home.
IRC entered Nigeria in October 2012 in response to a widespread flood disaster. IRC’s Emergency Response Team, with local partner CISCOPE (Civil Society Coalition for Poverty Eradication), implemented a project to support livelihoods and improve WASH in Kogi State from February to May 2013. This was followed by a 3-month nutrition and food security program in the same location from October 2013 to January 2014. The IRC is now in the process of establishing long term presence in Nigeria.
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Maiduguri, Nigeria
SCOPE OF WORK:
The Surveillance Nutrition Officer is the Sub-focal point for IRC's primary Nutrition information source and quality assurance in Maiduguri-Bama. He/she reports to the Nutrition Manager and ensures full involvement for the implementation of a quality Nutrition program, in accordance with appropriate standards and as well provide support to the Nutrition/M&E manager in identify program gaps in Nutrition services with immediate solution for further necessary steps to address those gaps. Assist in providing technical support in planning, implementing and monitoring of Nutrition interventions and as well support in system strengthening and promotion of childhood nutrition.
- Team management, including recruiting, training and evaluation of the national staff.
- Provision of the continuous technical support, most especially in nutrition SMART survey, using ENA version, KAP, coverage and Nutrition Casual Analysis surveys.
- Monitor and supervise the team, while conducting the surveys, to ensure data collected are meeting standards set.
- CMAM online flat form data storage and management
- Monitoring and tracking program log frame and indicators in course of implementation, based line and End line surveys, client exist interview
- Accountability feedback mechanism on Nutrition program
- Reports presentations, in a statistical manner and analysis, should be precise, present the survey findings to the Nutrition cluster information technical working groups for validations.
- Representation of IRC different nutrition cluster forum, as well as in the Counties where assessments will be conducted.
- Coordination, with other key stakeholders, both in International Medical Corps, such as logistic, Finance, programs and external ones, such as MoH, UNICEF, WFP and County authorities.
- Build the capacity of the national staff, to be able to undertake all stages of nutrition SMART surveys.
- Ensure efficiency and results-oriented performance in the CMAM and MCG component of the program
- “Other duties as assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all inclusive.”
Skills and abilities
- Working in chronic underdeveloped settings where both acute malnutrition and stunting are significant issues of public health concern
- Knowledgeable about latest development in nutrition SMART surveys, SQUEAC, Social community Mobilization, KAP surveys and developments Food security, nutrition monitoring systems (FSNMS)
- Possess proven analytical, problem solving and interpersonal skills
- Ability to relate to and motivate local staff effectively
- Ability to work in hardship conditions and in conflict-prone areas; ability to be flexible
- Excellent oral and written communication; good computer skills, strong writing skills (in English)
- Satisfactory organizational skills.
- Excellent verbal and written skills in English are required
- Flexible, and have the ability to cope with stressful situations and frustrations.
- Satisfactory decision making skills.
- Health and Nutrition related professional ( HND, BSc ) with emphasis on Public Health Nutrition
- Significant experience in nutrition in emergencies.
- At least 2 years professional experience in nutrition (CMAM and IYCF) programming
- Ability to write clear and concise program reports with meet required deadlines.
- Able to work with little supervision while being a strong team player captain
- Experience and ability to support team and build staff capacity.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, survey report.
- Ability to live and work under pressure in an unstable security environment.
- Excellent computer skills: MS Word, Excel, Power-point, Outlook, Epi Info, ENA, Access, SPSS and the internet.
- Fluency in speaking the local languages is necessary
- Recommendation on previous SMART, SQUEAC and other Nutrition survey work by other INGO, is an additional advantage.
Ability to Travel: 10% of time if applicable.
Security level orange. The situation in Gwoza, Borno remains unpredictable; there is active conflict in many parts of the country and a possibility for further expansion of the conflict and violence into other areas and other states.
- Competitive Monthly salary,
- 13th Month Salary Inclusive,
- Health Insurance Coverage for Family, Pension, Crèche Facilities available for Women with babies under 24 Months.
Standards of Professional Conduct The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.
Method of Application
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Interested and qualified? Go to International Rescue Committee (IRC) career website on rescue.csod.com to apply