PSI is a global health organization dedicated to improving the health of people in the developing world by focusing on serious challenges like a lack of family planning, HIV and AIDS, barriers to maternal health, and the greatest threats to children under five, including malaria, diarrhea, pneumonia and malnutrition.
A hallmark of PSI is a commitment to the principle that health services and products are most effective when they are accompanied by robust communications and distribution efforts that help ensure wide acceptance and proper use.
PSI works in partnership with local governments, ministries of health and local organizations to create health solutions that are built to last.
PSI seeks entrepreneurial, results-driven candidates for the position of Reproductive Health Technical Advisor, for the Women Health Project in Nigeria. This position will provide technical assistance to the Family Planning/Reproductive Health (Women's Health Project) at the Society for Family Health (SFH), PSI’s network member in Nigeria, in the implementation of a large-scale reproductive health project focused on increasing the use of long-term family planning methods and access to post-abortion care. The Reproductive Health Technical Advisor will have broad experience in the design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of reproductive health programs; experience in training; and expertise in family planning products and services development and distribution; and expert knowledge in the development of communications strategies based on disciplined use of consumer research. The position will be based in Nigeria and reports to the PSI WCA Regional Director and the Chief Program Officer of SFH Nigeria
Provide technical assistance to SFH in the following areas:
- Implementation of franchised family health services, including quality assurance
- Implementation of the IPC program for the project;
- Coordinate technical training and support for new and existing health franchises in LARCs and PAC (misoprostol and MVA);
- Work with relevant SFH staff to ensure procurement of appropriate misoprostol and assure quality testing;
- Work with relevant SFH staff on sales and distribution strategies and medical detailing training and strategies;
- Development and implementation of strategies for increasing uptake of long-term methods (IUDs and implants);
- Knowledge management efforts and lesson sharing across PSI platforms;
- External relations as needed with donor, government, NGOs, and commercial entities; and
- Financial and programmatic reporting as required by the donor and PSI/Washington.
- Minimum five years work experience in a developing country;
- Proven success in management of complex operations in a challenging developing country environment;
- Experience in managing international health and/or family planning programs;
- Health franchising experience preferred;
- Knowledge of international development and reproductive health issues including PAC;
- Familiarity with the international donor community;
- Fluency in English; and
- Relevant post-graduate degree (MBA, MIA, MPH, etc.)
- The successful candidate will be a creative, innovative and strategic thinker, and will have excellent communication, analytical, organizational, interpersonal and cross-cultural skills; a strong interest in private sector approaches to development; and a proven ability to produce results and meet objectives under difficult circumstances.
go to method of application »
PSI seeks entrepreneurial, dynamic candidates for the position of HIV Prevention Technical Advisor to the Strengthening HIV Prevention Services for Most at risk Populations (MARPS) SHiPs project led by Society for Family Health (SFH), PSI’s partner agency in Nigeria and funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) This management team-level position is based in Abuja and will report to the Regional Director, West and Central Africa with a dotted line to the SHiPS Chief of Party based in Abuja, Nigeria
SFH is the largest social marketing organization and local non-profit organization in Nigeria, with sixteen regional offices across the country and over 250 staff members. SFH implements diverse public health interventions in HIV and AIDS, reproductive health, and maternal and child health. SFH activities range from product sales and distribution to behavior change communication, advocacy, research, and community mobilization.
Strengthening HIV Prevention Services for Most-at-Risk Populations (SHiPS forMARPs) is a prevention flagship program of the United States Government. This five year cooperative agreement for $45.8 million is lead by SFH, as the managing partner. Programming for MARPs includes using best practices and lessons learned from global experience modified and applied to the Nigerian context. The project will help to strengthen the HIV prevention services available toMARPs and improve the capacity of stakeholders at national, state and local levelsto deliver these services.
The HIV Prevention Advisor will provide overall technical advisory leadership for the SHiPS HIV prevention portfolio. Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Provide technical support to the SFH managed team and partners to help the project apply best practices for HIV prevention among key populations;
- Provide technical oversight on field implementation of developed HIV prevention strategies, processes and tools for MARPs by consortium partners ensuring uniformity of approaches
- Provide overall technical leadership and oversight to the design and implementation of an evidence informed referrals and linkages strategy for key populations to be adopted across SHiPS.
- Regularly liaise with research staff (both in country, regional and PSI headquarters) to develop high quality research and MIS systems to inform, monitor and evaluate the SHiPs program;
- Assist the project management team to identify opportunities to develop and pilot innovative strategies to improve HIV prevention and linkages to treatment and care for key populations;
- Lead efforts to build SFH and partner capacity in DELTA social marketing planning
- Provide strategic directions to HIV Prevention using evidence from the DELTA trainings and in alignment with the national strategic and prevention plan of the National AIDS Control Agency and Federal Ministry of Health.
- In consultation with SHiPS senior management team, develop annual work plans, budgets and marketing plans. for PSI sub agreement. Develop monthly activity plans and write quarterly donor reports.
- Develop and support field and management trainings, communication materials development and review; Lead on the applications of BCC theories for effective strategic behavioral change among high risk populations as well as support the development of appropriate communication materials to intervene with relevant stake holders through the utilization of both social media and interpersonal communications);
- Develop and disseminate knowledge management strategies and tools to foster harmonious approaches to HIV interventions among key populations and across the SHiPs partners;
- Represent SHiPS on relevant interagency task forces, working groups and technical advisory bodies at local, regional and global HIV conferences and meetings as required. Coordinate external technical assistance with PSI and independent consultants as needed.
- Manage PSI technical assistance budget
- Perform other responsibilities as necessary
- Masters degree, MPH or other related advanced degree
- Proven track record with at least 7 years experience managing HIV programs in developing country settings;
- Prior experience designing and implementing HIV prevention programs targeting key populations;
- Previous experience working with MARP populations;
- Familiarity with PEPFAR funded programs including USAID;
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills;
- Experience and excellence in working with large, diverse teams;
- Proven track record of developing successful behavior change communications campaigns, preferably using social marketing approaches in the African context;
- Considerable understanding and application of quantitative and qualitative research findings in HIV programming;
- Proven experience supporting and mentoring cross-cultural teams;
- Familiarity with the international donor community;
- Excellent organizational and multitasking capabilities;
- Fluency in English required; and
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
The successful candidate will exhibit creative, innovative, and strategic thinking ability; excellent oral and written communication, analytical, organizational interpersonal and cross-cultural skills; strong attention to detail; ability to work efficiently and quickly under pressure; and a strong interest in private sector approaches to development; and a proven ability to produce results and meet objectives under difficult circumstances.
Method of Application
To apply for Technical Advisor, Reproductive Health, click here
To apply for Technical Advisor, HIV Prevention, click here
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale