Marriott International is a leading global Lodging company based in Bethesda, Maryland, USA, with more than 4,100 properties in 79 countries and reported revenues of nearly $14 billion in fiscal year 2014. Its heritage can be traced to a root beer stand opened in Washington, D.C., in 1927 by J. Willard and Alice S. Marriott.
Marriott has more than 361,000 people working worldwide at managed or franchised properties and corporate offices. Marriott has been consistently recognized as a top employer and for its superior business ethics. The company also manages the award-winning guest loyalty program, Marriott Rewards® and The Ritz-Carlton Rewards® program, which together surpass 49M members.
Job Number: 19001JPU
Job Category: Finance and Accounting
Brand: Sheraton Hotels & Resorts
Position Type: Management
Start Your Journey With Us
- At Sheraton, we go above and beyond in everything we do. We are inspired by our guests and one another – and are driven to make things better. We love what we do, and we give it all we’ve got – on property and off. When guests stay with us, it’s not just a room with a bed that they’re buying. It’s an experience.
- We’re looking for someone who is ready to go beyond in everything they do. If you are someone with a genuine drive to improve your life and the lives of those around you, we encourage you to explore careers with Sheraton.
- Responsible to establish and maintain the controls environment for the Shared Service Center and properties finance activities.
Core Work Activities
Managing Work, Projects, and Policies:
- Interact with Area Direct of Finance Nigeria, GM & HOD’s to achieve control environment goals
- Provide and lead training of SOP’s
- Verify and complete on property audits -
- Complete monthly, quarterly & annual audit related functions
- Review Daily Executive Pack
- Assist Area Direct of Finance Nigeria during External Audit Period
- Support ISRA auditors for his/her development
- Act as buddy to DOFs for property audits
- Assist with or lead investigations on property
- Act as support to DOFs in cluster as needed e.g. cover for sickness/maternity leave
- Responsible for on-property internal controls activities
- Uphold the policies and procedures outlined in the audit standards
Maintaining Finance and Accounting Goals:
- Develops specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work.
- Submits reports in a timely manner, ensuring delivery deadlines.
- Ensures reports and audits are documented accurately.
- Maintains a strong accounting and operational control environment to safeguard assets.
- Provide direction and assistance to other organizational units regarding controls and policies and procedures.
- Achieves and exceeds goals including performance goals, compliance target, team goals, etc.
Demonstrating and Applying Accounting Knowledge:
- Demonstrates knowledge of job-relevant issues, products, systems, and processes.
- Demonstrates knowledge of company’s internal controls and procedures
- Demonstrates knowledge of the Gross Revenue Report.
- Keeps up-to-date technically and applying new knowledge to your job.
- Uses computers and computer systems (including hardware and software) to program, develop financial spreadsheets, set up functions, enter data, or process information.
- Uses relevant information and individual judgment to determine whether events or processes comply with laws, regulations, or standards.
Managing and Conducting Human Resource Activities
- Supports the development, mentoring and training of employees.
- Provides constructive coaching and counseling to employees.
- Trains people on marriott’s policies and procedures
- Provides information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
- Demonstrates personal integrity.
- Uses effective listening skills.
- Demonstrates self confidence, energy and enthusiasm.
- Manages group or interpersonal conflict effectively.
- Informs and/or updates the executives, the peers and the subordinates on relevant information in a timely manner.
- Manages time well and possesses strong organizational skills.
- Presents ideas, expectations and information in a concise well organized way.
- Uses problem solving methodology for decision making and follow
- Makes collections calls if necessary
Education and Experience
- 4-year bachelor's degree in Finance and Accounting
- Minimum 5 years experience in a leadership position within Accounting or Finance or related professional area
- Working knowledge of PeopleSoft accounting and Opera PMS will be advantageous
- Excellent team leadership skills are required
- Ability to work under pressure and deadline-driven
- Knowledge of Microsoft packages
- Knowledge of Marriott finance policies will be advantageous.
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills.
- Ability to travel within Sub Sahara Africa
- Building and Contributing to Teams - Leads and participates as a member of a team to move the team toward the completion of common goals while fostering cohesion and collaboration among team members.
- Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
- Planning and Organizing - Gathers information and resources required to set a plan of action for self and/or others; prioritizes and arranges work requirements for self and/or others to accomplish goals and ensure work is completed.
- Coworker Relationships - Interacts with others in a way that builds openness, trust, and confidence in the pursuit of organizational goals and lasting relationships.
- Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
- Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability:
- Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of team assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
- Talent Management - Provides guidance and feedback to help individuals develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed to accomplish work objectives.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise:
- Applied Learning - Seeks and makes the most of learning opportunities to improve performance of self and/or others.
- Business Acumen - Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach team, business, and administrative challenges.
- Technical Acumen - Understands and utilizes professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges:
- Economics and Accounting - Knowledge of P&L statements, operating budgets, forecasting and scheduling, and the reporting of financial data.
- Auditing and Reconciliation - The ability to recognize, research, and resolve discrepancies in financial data, and create flow charts on main accounting and control cycles (A/R, AP, Cash) to facilitate understanding of key control points.
- General Finance and Accounting - The ability to perform bookkeeping procedures, proficiently use financial systems technology, and accurately complete general ledger entries; knowledge of database structures in order to obtain financial queries; establish Cash flow statements and cash flow forecast with a good understanding the financials flows and the working capital needs.
- Analysis - The ability to create and maintain spreadsheets as well as analyze and summarize financial data using appropriate financial software.
- Accounting Knowledge - Knowledge of general accounting principles and current company accounting policies and procedures. This includes general accounting and financial reporting, auditing, accounts payable, and accounts receivable.
- Accounting and Internal Control Knowledge - Knowledge of local Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (local GAAP), Marriott International Policies (MIP), and International Standard Operating Procedures (ISOPs).
- Legal - Ability to read and understand basic contract elements, e.g. royalty fees, management agreement, terms, priorities and profit distribution.
- Auditing Skills - The ability to perform auditing procedures, including the ability to recognize, research, and resolve discrepancies in financial data.
- Payroll Systems - Knowledge of local payroll reporting and tax requirements, ability to effectively record wages/tax liabilities, and operate payroll software applications, including understanding the features and functions of the applications.
- Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable - Knowledge of Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable processes, including knowledge of subledger reconciliation and controls.
- Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities:
- Basic Computer Skills - Uses basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
- Mathematical Reasoning - Demonstrates ability to add, subtract, multiply, or divide quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
- Oral Comprehension - Demonstrates ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Reading Comprehension - Demonstrates understanding of written sentences and paragraphs in work-related documents.
- Writing - Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Marriott International, Inc. career website on jobs.marriott.com to apply