VSO is the world’s leading independent international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty in over 40 developing countries. VSO has been operating across Nigeria since 1958 and has accompanied the country through complex social change and growth, alongside local conflict and instability building capacity of civil society and government structures. VSO Nigerias current strategy 2012-15 promotes holistic integrated development of marginalised youth by promoting employment employability and enterprise development, enhancing quality of education and nurturing leadership to promote youth participation and accountability in governance.
VSO Nigeria is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job I.D: NG1225/0001/0002, Salesforce- JOB0026744
- The volunteer will primarily be based with Oando Foundation partner organization in Kwara state, and will work with the project partners and schools on the Adopt A School project of the foundation to strengthen understanding of education systems, school improvement and classroom practice.
- The volunteer will have a range of tasks and activities;
- Familiarize himself/herself with the Nigeria Education Sector and the Oando Foundation's Adopt A School Initiative Strategy.
- Conduct a needs assessment in project target schools and training of implementing partners to administer tools.
- Analysis of needs assessment reports and developing action plan for interventions on the identified needs
- Develop training plan, modules, materials and execute plan as agreed
- Work with a team of teacher trainers to train teachers on professional teaching methods using learner-centered methodologies to deliverteaching and learning.
- Work in collaboration with the monitoring & evaluation manager to develop monitoring tools for collecting routine data that informs the monitoring and evaluation framework.
- Train implementing partners on routine data collection for monitoring and evaluation
- Jointly monitor training impact on children and teachers.
- Take part in, support and/or deliver, as appropriate activities within Oando Foundation and its implementing partners
- Fulfill an advocacy role for VSO as and when required
- Actively participate in the Monitoring and Evaluation of the programme (baseline, periodic monitoring, gathering data, analysis and reporting).
- Write periodic progress reports as per Oando Foundation and VSO requirements.
- There will also be the opportunity to travel to and work in other Oando Foundation project states, supporting the wider programme.
- Due to the nature of our volunteer placements, it is possible that the responsibilities of this role may differ in reality and therefore the postholder will need to be prepared to be flexible and adapt to their environment as necessary.
Jey Performance Indicator:
- The performance indicators will be jointly developed with the employer upon final agreement on work objectives.
- Objectives will be confirmed in a three way discussion between the volunteer, employer and VSO in the first three months of the placement.
Skills, Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelors Degree or Post-graduate degree in Education.
- A minimum of 4 years teaching experience.
- Experience in teaching literacy and numeracy.
- Knowledge and experience of working with government officials
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to adapt knowledge and experience to Nigeria.
- Ability to support others to adapt ideas to their own context.
- Good understanding of subject matter - primary education.
- Ability to handle responsibility
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to maintain good working relationship
- Good communication skills- creativity in problem solving & conflict resolution
- Enthusiastic and good team player
- Experience of working with and/or developing participatory programmes for children (this would be helpful).
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should click here to apply online.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale