Girl Hub's mission is to empower the 250 million adolescent girls living in poverty to reach their full potential. Girls are a proven force for change and the catalyst to end global poverty – we call this the Girl Effect. We want girls to be able to complete secondary school, be healthy and free of violence, be able to earn and save for the future, and only marry and have children when they are ready. Our work aims to shift the social norms that hold girls back, and drive better investments that directly benefit girls. Everything we do is based on what girls tell us they need and what will work for them. Girl Hub is a strategic collaboration between DFID and the Nike Foundation. We currently operate in Rwanda, Nigeria and Ethiopia with headquarters in London.
Overview and Main Responsibilities
The Girl Hub Nigeria Finance and Operations Manager will be responsible for the financial and operational management systems, in order to guarantee the integrity of Girl Hub’s Nigeria based programme and to enable the programme to keep pace with new demands.
The post-holder will ensure best practice with all aspects of financial accounting and reporting, as well as sound financial practices/controls and rigorous budgetary management. A key priority is to embed clear financial management controls and to ensure understanding of and compliance with these by all staff. He/She will also be responsible for donor, legal and tax compliance.
The post-holder will oversee the management of business support provided by the Operations Coordinator, ensuring that it complies with Girl Hub policy and procedures, and general best practice. This will include human resources, procurement, logistics and transport, legal and governance, IT and comms, and security.
We are seeking someone who is passionate about our work and who is looking to be part of a dynamic and enthusiastic team.
Budgeting and Reporting
· Provide advice, training and general support to all staff members on any issues relating to accounting, payment processing, budget management, and operations.
· Work with internal and external auditors as necessary, ensuring that agreed recommendations are implemented
· Work closely with lawyers and tax advisors to ensure compliance with local legislation. Take the lead on the process of registration and on-going reporting compliance.
· Other duties as agreed with the line manager
· Qualified professional accountant (internationally recognised qualification, practical experience equivalent will be considered) with at least 5 years of post-qualification accounting experience
· At least 3 years’ experience working at a senior level. NGO or other international organisation experience would be an advantage.
· Experience with strategic financial and operational/systems management – this includes HR management, logistics and procurement, and IT and office management.
· Experience of working in insecure environments and understanding of what this means for systems/procedures and duty of care to staff.
· Computer literate (i.e. WORD, advanced Excel, Outlook, Internet Explorer, field office financial database systems).
· Excellent personal organisational skills, including priority management and ability to meet deadlines. Self-motivated with excellent team-working skills.
· Proficient in both spoken and written English. Good communication and report writing skills.
· Commitment to and understanding of Girl Hub’s aims, values and principles.
· Experience working in Northern Nigeria would be desirable as would experience in designing and implementing security procedures and experience with monitoring and supporting local NGOs.
· Fluency in Hausa would be an advantage.
Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered. Please provide references, but do not attach any written recommendations.
To apply for this position, click here