Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international, private, non-governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization. Our organization offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters, to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. We have been working in Nigeria since February 1996. A Memorandum of Understanding between Medecins Sans Frontieres and the Federal Government of Nigeria facilitates this. We are at present co-operating with the Federal Ministry of Health, State and Local Government departments of health on various health projects.
Duty Station - MSF OCA, Benue Project – Makurdi
Main objective and responsibility of the position
Execute administrative and finance related tasks and follow up of project accountancy to support the Project Finance Manager following MSF standard and procedures, in order to ensure legal compliance and keep a strict control over monetary resources to achieve project objectives
Description of the responsibilities/activities
- Implementin cash management procedures in order to ensure the highest control and security, assisting the Project Fin Manager in the prevision of monthly treasury and planning in order to en-sure the coverage of daily needs, advances on salaries, payroll, etc.
- Processing the payment to suppliers and keep strict on all documentation involved, informing the administration manager of any sort of disparity
- Carrying out all accounting tasks and activities, classifying, preparing and filing of all accounting pieces in accounting software, in order to ensure strict control of all expenditures and the reliability of statements and documentation.
- Following up of all expiring rental contract dates and inform the Administration Manager in order to leave enough time to arrange a renewal or look for some other alternative.
- Making all administrative information available to the staff (posting, meetings, etc.), supporting the Project Fi-nance Manager in translating documents into local language and assisting in meetings upon request.
- Any other administrative task delegated by the Project Finance Manager
- Following uo the payment process with referral hospitals and agreed pharmacies, collecting the invoices from those locations on a monthly basis, checking the initial invoice details and amounts, sharing them with MTL for his/her validation, and processing the payment upon the validation of MTL, under the supervision of HR/Fin Manager.
- Maintain and update cashbook movements for each petty cash box, record all IN and OUT transactions endure that cashbox balances always reflect the actual amount of money kept in the cashboxes and, investigate any discrepancy.
- Ensure strict compliance with cash control procedures for each cashbox/currency (daily cash control, weekly cash inventory, reconciliation with BooX, to ensure reliable and updated financial information.
- Monitor cash advances by ensuring that MSF rules and protocols are followed and the amounts advanced will be duly refunded within the prescribed timelines
- Keep track of bills/vouchers and other running costs and analyze the related information (costs, service contracts…) to give reliable information about the mission functioning.
- Ensure all receipts meet MSF requirements (deadlines, information, signatures…)
- Checking individual entries and preparing the necessary administrative documents (originals) as a basis for justification and explanation of payments and receipts made
- Prepare the hardcopies according to the month-end checklist and ensure proper filing and archiving of financial documentation. Review the projects’ bookkeping to endure that the supporting documentation complies with the finance policy standards.
- Maintain and up-to-date schedule all contracts (suppliers and rental agreements)
- Prepare tax and pension payments and reports within the prescribed deadlines
- Prepare and distribute monthly sub account statements for all international staff
- Keep track of all food-kitty costs and charge out to expat sub accounts on a monthly basis
- Responsible for issuing of recharge cards (MTN, Glo, Airtel and Etisalat)
- Flexibility in undertaking assigned tasks, due to the changing nature of MSF operations.
- Desirable finance, business or administration related diploma
- Master degree in finance, business or administration will be an advantage
- Essential previous working experience of at least two years in relevant jobs.
- Desirable experience in MSF or other NGOs in developing countries.
Fluent English essential. Tiv, Idoma, or Igede desirable
Essential computer literacy (word, excel, internet)
- Results and Quality Orientation
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Behavioural Flexibility
- Commitment to MSF Principles
- Stress Management
Method of Application
Submit Application Letter, latest Curriculum Vitae (CV) and photocopies of all necessary credentials with telephone contact details (daytime) in an envelope (specify on the envelope – Application for the post of Finance Assistant –Benue Project) to the address below:
Human Resources Coordinator, OR To Any of MSF OCA Projects offices in Benue, Sokoto and Zamfara states.
Médecins sans Frontieres – Holland,
No. 11, First Avenue, Gwarimpa, Abuja