Division Manager - Industrial Development at the African Development Bank Group (AfDB)
Posted on: 18 April, 2019
Deadline: 16 May, 2019
View Jobs in Banking / Financial Services
View All Jobs at African Development Bank - AfDB
African Development Bank Group (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Banks development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50092444
- The Vice-Presidency for Private Sector, Infrastructure and Industrialization is central to the Bank’s mission of developing the private sector, improving infrastructure and accelerating industrialization.
- The complex main functions are to (i) strengthen the enabling environment for private sector [and financial sector] development conducive to inclusive growth and sustainable development, (ii) support the development of reliable and sustainable infrastructure, including cities and urban development, and (iii) place renewed emphasis on industrial and trade performance in support of structural transformation across Africa.
- The Complex leverages knowledge, co-financing, and partnerships to attract private capital and work with governments on delivering the Bank’s development agenda.
The Hiring Department/Division
- The role of the Bank’s Industrial and Trade Development department is to promote the implementation of the Bank’s 10 Year Strategy and HI 5’s initiatives with special emphasis on the Industrialize Africa strategy.
- The department leads the Bank’s activities in the area of industrial policies, ICT, trade and investment climate, and private sector investments in industry and services.
- In line with the Bank Ten-Year Strategy, and consistent with the Bank’s Industrialization Strategy for Africa, the Division drives the Bank’s interventions through the implementation of priority programs to scale-up and accelerate industrial transformation in Africa.
- Through strategic partnerships with other co-financiers, the Private Sector, the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO),the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA), the African Union Commission (AUC) and Regional Economic Communities (RECs), the Division actively seeks to support governments in adjusting their national industrial policies, identifying potential sectors for industrial development and investment, and providing support for value chain development, advisory and technical assistance as well as operational support through sectoral expertise to operational teams in Regional Hubs.
- This will cover operations, advisory and technical assistance pertaining to industry clusters, investments in Small & Medium Enterprises (SMEs) and linkage projects, technical assistance for Public-Private Partnership-targeted projects and special initiatives and activities dedicated to promoting strategic partnerships.
- In addition, the Division strives to facilitate government and private sector dialogue to foster coordination between all the industrialization stakeholders.
- The job of Division Manager Industrial Development, reporting to the Director Industrial and Trade Development, is key to the implementation of the Bank’s Industrialization Strategy for Africa.
- The Manager is responsible for all aspects of the implementation programs, projects and initiatives of the Bank on industrial development focusing mainly on non-lending activities.
- The Manager is accountable for managing quality, risks, results, institutional initiatives and compliance with Bank policies and procedures and keeping the Division at the forefront through needed upgrades and innovation.
- Manage team’s staffing and resources in the division.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the Director Industrial and Trade Development (PITD), the Division Manager will perform the following:
- Lead the Bank’s policy and operations on industrial development to enhance economic diversification and to improve competitiveness by fostering successful policies, and by promoting and driving enterprise development on the continent;
- Lead the implementation of the Industrialize Africa Strategy, focusing on flagship programmes (i) Fostering successful industrial policies; (iv) Promoting and driving enterprise development (v) Promoting strategic partnerships; (vi) Supporting governments in developing efficient industry clusters across Africa
- Develop industrial policies, enterprise development plans and industrial cluster business plans to support the Bank’s work in industrial development;
- Work with the Regional Hubs to support and/or lead the design and delivery of sovereign sectoral operations;
- Work with the Industry and Services division to support policy developments aimed at unlocking investments in strategic industrial sectors;
- Lead industrial policies implementation support through execution of Country Strategy Papers (CSP)/Regional Integration Strategy Papers (RISP)
- Build and manage relationships with strategic partnerships with other co-financiers, the Private Sector, the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO),the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA), the African Union Commission (AUC) and Regional Economic Communities (RECs), etc.;
- Lead the effective delivery of the division work and budget programming;
- Lead the strategic staffing of the division and the performance appraisal of work performance, appraising staff potential and determining training and development needs;
- Lead the activities of the division with appropriate delegation of day to day activities;
- Ensure effective budget resources management and cost saving;
- Ensure that the KPIs set for the division are met;
- Lead the division expert teams by regularly assessing the skill mix and learning needs with the support of the Industrial and Trade Development Department and Human Resources Department (CHHR/HRBP).
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Hold at least a Master's Degree in Economics, Public Policy, Industrial Policy, International Trade, Business Administration or related fields or related discipline;
- A minimum of eight (8) years of extensive and in-depth experience out of which 3 should be at a managerial level, in a similar institution and/or in-depth experience in industrial development
- Deep understanding of Africa’s industrial structure coupled with practical experience in high-level policy dialogue. Solid network of contacts within the AUC, RECs and key partner agencies such as UNIDO and UNECA is a major advantage
- Strong knowledge of socio-economic, industrial development and business environment issues in African countries
- Diploma in Industrial Engineering and/or Policy design would be a plus
- Exposure to technical assistance and SME financing would be advantageous
- Ability to lead in creating an environment for sharing and communicating knowledge within the division, department, complex, regional hubs and externally.
- Ability to proactively engage with internal and external parties to develop and communicate knowledge and methods
- Having Private sector experience would be considered as an asset.
- Operational effectiveness
- Innovation and creativity
- Team working and relationship
- Client Orientation
- Excellent spoken and written English or French languages, preferably with a working knowledge of the other;
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications; Knowledge of SAP is advantageous.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to African Development Bank - AfDB career website on www.afdb.org to apply
❮ Back to All Jobs
- Know more about African Development Bank - AfDBSimilar Jobs
- Internship Positions at Transsnet Financial
- Legal Manager at Transsnet Group
- Accountant at Mkobo Microfinance Bank
- Operations Officer at Assets Microfinance Bank
- Chief Accountant at FINCA Microfinance Bank Limited
- Business Analyst at Finance Life Technologies Limited (Riby)
- Recovery/Loan Verification Officer at GTI Microfinance Bank Limited
- Managing Director/CEO at Bayero University Microfinance Bank Limited