The National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN) invites applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the following vacant Academic and Senior Non-Teaching staff positions in the University.
1. Professors, Readers and Senior Lecturers
2. Study Centre Directors
3. General Manager NOUN Consult and Investment Ltd (NOUNCIL)
Academic Positions In The Schools Listed Below:
- Professors, Readers and Senior Lecturers.
- School of Arts and Social Sciences
- School of Agricultural Sciences
- School of education
- School of Health Sciences
- School of law
- School of Management Sciences
- School of Science and Technology
Qualifications and Experience
The Professor is a Senior Academic Staff who is to provide administrative and academic leadership in the School.
Scope of the Position:
The PROFESSOR will be responsible to the Vice-Chancellor through the Dean of the School.
- Providing Academic and Administrative Leadership in the School
- Coordination of the activities of the staff of the School, especially in the academic functions of programme/course planning development, administration and research.
- Attending meetings of statutory and/or ad-hoc committees, especially Senate and its committees.
- Other Duties as may be assigned from time to time by the Dean of the School or the Vice-Chancellor
The Professor must be:
- A respected authority in his/her field of specialization
- Versatile in research activities especially at the post graduate level
- Able to show evidence of continuing research and publications.
- Have supervised a substantial number of post graduate, especially Doctoral Students.
- Have considerable professional/ teaching experience.
- Possess considerable administrative experience as Head of Department and or Director of Institute, Dean of Faculty, Provost of College in a University.
(a) Essential Qualifications
- A doctorate Degree in an academic discipline or a related field in the relevant School/Programme.
- Substantial number of scholarly publications in reputable and referred journals.
- Considerable knowledge and application of information Technology.
(b) Desirable Qualifications
- Experience in Distance Education will be an added advantage
Candidates applying for the position of Professor must have a minimum number of ten (10) years postdoctoral research and teaching experience in a University and show demonstrable evidence of ability to initiate and supervise postgraduate research. Administrative experience at the University or comparable institutions will be an added advantage.
- Academic and Administrative Leadership: Ability to provide academic and administrative leadership for staff of the School
- Resource Management: Ability to efficiently manage and optimize the human, financial and material resources of the School.
- Communication Skills: Ability to demonstrate excellent skills in report writing and fluency in communication.
- Professional/community service activities: Evidence of involvement in professional and community activities
- Staff welfare and motivation: Ability to command the respect and loyalty of his/her staff through consistent demonstration of genuine concern for their welfare and making conscious effort to motivate them towards excellence in the performance of their duties.
- Computer Literacy: Ability to use various software for daily tasks e.g. Microsoft word, power point, excel. Ability to use and access the web for teaching and tutorial purposes.
Salary: CONUASS 7 (N 390,029.08-510,013.58)
The Reader is a Senior academic staff of a School whose duty it is o assist the Dean generally in the administration of the School. He/She is specifically responsible to coordinate and develop course materials, to provide leadership, undertake research and participate in University/professional/community services.
Scope of the Position
The Reader will be responsible to the Dean of the School for the discharge of the Academic and/or administrative responsibilities that may be assigned to him/her.
- Undertaking programme planning development and administrative delivery
- Undertaking course planning, development and delivery
- Reviewing and determining acceptability of course materials in conjunction with course developers
- Monitoring the progress of the process of course development
- Undertaking examination duties including the preparation of examination question papers and marking of answer scripts
- Liaising with external examiners, assessors, moderators and advisory peer groups
- Undertaking research activities
- Organising workshops and seminars in related courses
- Supervising the work of course coordinators involved in the programme
- Reviewing, adopting and preparing learning materials for use by the School
- Participating in the recruitment, training and supervision of part-time tutors
- Performing any other academic and administrative duties and responsibilities as may be assigned to him/her by the Dean of the School from time to time.
The Reader must:
- Have an identifiable research focus
- Have undertaken extensive research and published substantially in the area of his/her research focus
- Have successfully supervised an appreciable number of post graduate (especially Doctoral) Students
- Have had some administrative experience at tertiary level preferably in a University.
(a) Essential Qualifications
A Doctorate Degree in the relevant academic discipline or a related field
Considerable number of scholarly publications in reputable and referred journals
Appreciable knowledge and application of information Technology
(b) Desirable Qualifications
Experience in Distance Education will be an added advantage
Candidates must have a minimum of eight (8) years post-doctoral research and teaching experience in a University and show demonstrable evidence of ability to initiate and supervise post graduate research
As itemized for Professor
Salary: CON UASS 6: (N322,351.00 - N425,395.83)
C) Senior Lecturer
The Senior Lecturer is a Senior academic staff of a School whose duties are similar to that of the Reader above
Scope of the Position:
The Senior Lecturer will be responsible, through the Reader, to the Dean of the School for the discharge of the Academic and/or administrative responsibilities that may be assigned to him/her.
Same as those listed for Reader
Same as those listed for Reader
Same as those demanded of the Reader
Candidates must have a minimum of six (6) years post-doctoral research and teaching experience in a University and show demonstrable evidence of ability to initiate and supervise postgraduate research.
Same as those expected of a Professor and Reader
Salary CONUASS 5 (N264,292.09 - N377,958.84)
Study Centre Directors for the Following Noun Study Centres:
- Kebbi Study Centre, Kebbi State
- Abuja Study Centre, FCT Abuja
- Lokoja Study Centre, Kogi State
- Special Study Centre for the National Union of Road Transport Workers, Abuja
- Port-Harcourt Study Centre, Rivers State
- Lafia Study Centre, Nasarawa State
- Jalingo Study Centre, Taraba State
- Owerri Study Centre, Imo State
- Gombe Study Centre, Gombe State
- Enugu Study Centre, Enugu State
- Uyo Study Centre, Akwa Ibom State
- Awa-Ijebu, Ogun State
- Special Study Centre for the Nigeria Prisons
- Special Study Centre for the Nigeria Police
Study Centres are established at Regional, State and Local Government Levels. Students will use any Study Centre within their immediate locality to collect instructional materials, access instruction and multimedia delivery routes, tutorials and counseling service. They will also submit and collect Tutor Marked Assignments (TMA) through such Study Centres and use Information and Communication Technology (ICT) for a variety of learning purposes. To this end, a robust and effective management system is required to support and enhance the instructional functions of the Open and Distance learning system at the Study Centres.
Applicants for the Position Must:
- Be an experienced Academic or Administrative staff, not below the rank of Reader/Associate Professor, Deputy Director/Deputy Registrar. Candidates who earn below the salary of CONTISS 14/CONUASS 6 or their equivalent need not apply:
- Have served in management capacities including Headship of a Department or Division, Academic Affairs Officer with a minimum of ten (10) years cognate experience.
- Possess a minimum of Ph. D. degree in any of the professional fields of studies such as the Liberal Arts, Humanities, Law, Physical Sciences, Engineering, Applied Medicine and Social Sciences.
- Major Responsibilities
- To head, manage and coordinate the day-to-day activities of the Study Centre
- To act as the first contact point for the University in the immediate locality of the Study Centre.
- To mentor and evaluate the performances of the instructional facilitators
- To laise with the headquarters of the National Open University of Nigeria on matters relating to the distribution of instructional materials to distance learners and instructional facilitators
- To ensure maintenance of cordial relationship with the local community
Salaries and other Conditions of Service
The post of Study Centre Director is a full time appointment and attracts the following remunerations:
For Academic staff of the status of Reader! Associate Professor or Professor, the salary is CONUASS 6 or 7 respectively;
For Administrative, Technical or Professional staff who are not below the status of a Deputy Registrar or Director, the salary is CONTISS 14 or 15 respectively.
(3) General Manager National Open University Of Nigeria Consult And Investment Ltd (Nouncil), Kaduna
NOUNCIL is a Limited Liability Company registered with the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) with certificate of Incorporation No: RC 716437 floated by the National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN) with headquarters in Kaduna.
- He/She will be the Chief Executive Officer of the company with the primary responsibility of overseeing the day to day general administration of the company
- He/She will report directly to the Chairman of the Board and will execute all decisions of the board.
- He/She is expected to possess all attributes of a good Chief Executive Officer and must be a dynamic, self-motivated, focused, proactive and versatile personality. Fle/She must have good marketing skills and be computer literate.
- Must have ten (10) years post-graduation work experience in similar b business concerns
- Must possess a minimum of a Master’s Degree from a recognised University
- Membership of a relevant professional body will be an added advantage
- Must he between 35-45 years of age
- Salary/remuneration is competitive and attractive.
Method of Application
Interested candidates should submit fifteen (15) copies of their applications (stating post desired), relevant certificates and detailed curriculum vitae, stating their full names, date of birth, state of origin/domicile, nationality, marital status, permanent home address. (not P.M.B), current postal/contact address with GSM phone numbers and e-mail addresses) institutions attended (with dates), academic and professional qualifications (with dates), honours, distinctions and membership of learned societies and professional bodies, publications (where applicable), working experience, present employment status and employer, extra-curricular activities, names and addresses of three (3) referees. All applications should be submitted on 26th June, 2014 in sealed envelopes indicating at the top left hand corner the post applied for and send to:
National Open University of Nigeria,
14/16 Ahmadu Bello Way;
P.M.B 80067, Lagos.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.