The Population Council confronts critical health and development issues—from stopping the spread of HIV to improving reproductive health and ensuring that young people lead full and productive lives. Through biomedical, social science, and public health research in 50 countries, we work with our partners to deliver solutions that lead to more effective policies, programs, and technologies that improve lives around the world. Established in 1952 and headquartered in New York, the Council is a non-governmental, non-profit organization governed by an international board of trustees.
The Finance & Administration Manager is responsible for the efficient administration of accounting, human resources, grants management, operations and communications infrastructure in the Abuja office and the continuing communication between the Nigeria office and HQ in the US, as well as with colleagues in international offices. Provides key support to the Nigeria Country Director on all management areas under her/his direct supervision and, working in a leadership capacity with an administrative team, is responsible for implementation and management of internal controls to facilitate accurate and timely accounting, financial, human resources and information systems for the Nigeria office. The incumbent will report directly to the Country Director, and to relevant management staff at HQ. S/he will also collaborate with international colleagues, technical personnel, sub-awardees and international partner organizations, and local governmental institutions.
- Oversee a team of 5 finance and administration professionals on the office management team
- Manage the accurate and timely preparation of office's monthly expenditure reports to HQ (current monthly expenditure level is US$425K), ensuring review with and approval by Country Director.
- Oversee accurate and timely payment and recording of financial, accounting, treasury, and local tax transactions, as well as reporting and allocation of project costs.
- Design, monitor and implement systems of internal control that safeguard client’s assets and lead the process of implementing sound accounting procedures.
- Ensure cost effective and efficient procurement of goods and services in accordance with donor and client procurement procedures, as well as security of capital assets and valuable equipment.
- Monitor bank account balances and bank reconciliations, ensuring sufficient balances for smooth office operations.
- Prepare annual program plan budget in collaboration with Country Director and financial managers based at HQ, as well as interim budget updates
- Generate regular project financial updates for Nigeria office staff and senior management at HQ.
- Supervise handling, reconciliation and reporting of petty cash
- Serve as liaison to local accounting firms, bankers, insurance carriers, brokers and other business vendors.
- Comply with donor regulations for Nigeria office projects; advise & monitor program staff to ensure compliance; coordinate staff effort allocations across office grant portfolio
- Compile proposal budgets in collaboration with program financial managers, local program staff, and other colleagues.
- Review donor financial reports for the Nigeria office in collaboration with Country Director.
- Coordinate with HQ in monitoring and managing subcontracts.
- Prepare regular internal financial updates for principal investigators and other program staff.
Human Resources Administration
- Formulate, interpret and implement personnel policies & procedures for Nigeria staff, ensuring compliance with Nigerian labor laws and collaborate with HR/HQ in its review.
- In collaboration with HR Coordinator, oversee preparation of monthly payroll, including computation of income tax and pension contributions & other fringe benefits, including expatriate allowances.
- In collaboration with HR Coordinator, manage recruitment of local staff including preparation of staffing requests and appointment records, employment contracts, and benefits enrollments.
- Oversee recruitment, contracting and timely payment of consultants, interns and temporary staff.
- Monitor effective maintenance of up-to-date personnel records; provide timely staffing reports and other HR data to HQ upon request.
- Oversee annual staff performance appraisal process, and office participation in regional salary surveys.
- Maintain effective liaison with local counsel to provide on tax, labor and related legal issues.
Office Administration and Operations
- Monitor compliance with administrative and operations policies in collaboration with Country Director and HQ.
- Ensure continuous, smooth functioning of Nigeria office facility, infrastructure and equipment.
- Maintain effective liaison with office landlord and utilities providers, keeping related contracts & legal agreements properly documented and up to date.
- Oversee coordination & supervision of support staff, including drivers, office assistants & IT support.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting; minimum 10 years related or comparable professional experience with an international organization, preferably an NGO with a focus on public health or related area.
- Experience with and knowledge of the international development donor community.
- Strong organizational and team building skills, attention to detail and ability to work both independently and collaboratively with Country Director and colleagues at HQ.
- Demonstrated ability to work in, and appreciation for, a multi-cultural environment.
- Expertise with MS Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, PowerPoint); accounting software, payroll management systems & web-based communications platforms. Advanced Excel skills preferable.
- Proficiency in written and oral English.
- Willingness to travel both within country and overseas.
Method of Application
Nigerian national desired; position in based in Abuja. Compensation package includes qualified relocation expenses without expatriate allowances. Please submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, proof of Accounting certification and three professional references
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should click here to apply online.