African Development Bank Group (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Banks development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50001438
- The President, plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group. Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the ADB and the ADF.
- The President supervises several Departments and Units including Office of the President (PRST0); Independent Development Evaluation Department (BDEV); Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department (PIAC); Compliance Review and Mediation Unit (BCRM); Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board (BSAB); Administrative Tribunal (BATR); Office of the Auditor General (PAGL); Group Risk Management Directorate (PGRM); General Counsel and Legal Services Department (PGCL); Communication and External Relations Department (PCER); Staff Integrity and Ethics Office (PETH) and Office of the Secretary General & General Secretariat(PSEG)
The Hiring Department
The role of the Office of the Secretary General and the General Secretariat (PSEG) is to facilitate the delivery of the objectives of the Bank’s Ten Year Strategy, High 5s, and Development and Business Delivery Model (DBDM) by enhancing the decision-making process of the governance organs and forging better working relationships with the shareholders and host countries of the Bank. PSEG is comprised of:
- The Immediate Office of the Secretary General (PSEG.0) which has the additional responsibility of managing the Records Management and Archives Section and a Conferences and Meetings Section;
- A Board Affairs and Proceedings Division (PSEG.1);
- A Protocol, Immunities and Privileges Division (PSEG.2).
The Conference and Meetings Coordinator reports to the Secretary General and supervises the Conference and Meetings Section whose main functions is to:
- Strategically plan and efficiently organize internal and external conferences, meetings and events;
- Install and manage conference infrastructure and information technology in the board rooms, meeting rooms and specific areas at the Bank’s Headquarters, Temporary Relocation A (TRA), regional hubs and country offices; and
- Assess and manage conference facilities in the member countries hosting the Annual Meetings
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting the Secretary General to lead and coordinate the planning and organization of all conferences and meetings of the Bank both at Headquarters and beyond, including coordinating and ensuring logistics for the Annual Meetings liaising with all relevant stakeholders within and outside the Bank;
- Elaborating, updating and implementing the Bank’s Guidelines on Conferences and Meetings ;
- Revamping and stabilizing the Bank’s calendar of Meetings, conferences and events and ensuring its publication on the Bank’s Intranet and public website;
- Overseeing the management of conferences and meetings infrastructure and technology;
- Working with the various stakeholder units of the Bank to oversee and manage registration for the Annual Meetings of the Bank; and
- Contributing to the drafting of all meetings-related agreements and memoranda of understanding as well as aide memoires for preparatory and assessment missions and leading related negotiations.
Specific Accountabilities of the Function
- Manage a section that leads, supervises and coordinates the strategic, operational and logistical activities necessary for the organisation of internal and external conferences and meetings of the Bank.
- Plan and manage all conferences and meetings organized or co-organized by the Bank;
- Lead negotiations of all conferences and meetings-related agreements and memoranda of understanding as well as aide memoires for preparatory and assessment missions;
- Set objectives, formulate policies, establish priorities, define and monitor the key performance indicators of the section;
- Ensure that the section produces high-quality outputs within available resources, by making the best use of its human, financial and technological assets, and by monitoring and enforcing efficiency targets;
- Work together with the Protocol Division to provide logistical support for ceremonies and events in a seamless manner;
- Supervise budget preparation in relation to conference and meetings and follow its execution, and advise the Secretary General on the budgetary and financial impacts of the section’s functions;
- Monitor best practice and, as appropriate, liaise with counterparts in other organizations;
- Promote the sharing of best practice across the Bank;
- Represent the department, as needed, in bank-wide working groups;
- Propose the appropriate organizational structure of the section, assigning staff and material resources based on priorities and workload, and provide guidance on work-related matters;
- Assess the training needs of staff in the section, monitor and evaluate their performance, and recommend personnel actions to the Secretary General;
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned by the Secretary General.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Hold at least a Master's Degree in Conference and Events Management, Logistics Management, International Relations, Public Administration, Business Administration or related disciplines.
- A minimum of eight (8) years of extensive and progressive experience in a similar organization, with managerial level experience in conference management.
- Innovation and creativity
- Problem Solving
- Client Orientation
- Team working and relations
- Solid experience in planning and organizing meetings and conferences and implementing technology strategies in international organizations.
- Demonstrated strong leadership qualities, diplomacy and technical excellence and an established operational track record of excellence in achieving results;
- Ability to anticipate problems proactively deal with them (able to predict potential problems and provide appropriate solutions, i.e. manage contingencies) by supervising and monitoring the performance of staff before, during and after an event.
- Knowledge of the relevant rules and procedures of the Bank.
- Uses industry/business trends knowledge to develop and drive improvements which give competitive advantage and contribute to client’s satisfaction;
- Proactively proposes value-added operational solutions to clients based on understanding of business requirement and current market trends;
- Takes initiative to improve policies/programmes and products in order to maximise efficiency;
- Engages, supports and motivates the team to implement efficient ways of doing things;
- Communicates and shares information with external (e.g.: service providers, etc.) and internal conference and meetings team, clients, Bank technical services, etc.;
- Ability to deliver quality initiatives in order to enhance team's performance;
- Train and motivate the conference and meetings team.
- Fluency in English or French (Spoken, Written). A good working knowledge of the other language is desirable.
- Competence in the use of standard Bank software (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and SAP).
- Familiar IT with Conference Infrastructure systems and electronic systems set up and operations.
Method of Application
- This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.
- Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem, to HR Direct via: HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
Interested and qualified? Go to African Development Bank - AfDB career website on www.afdb.org to apply