Teach For All is a global network of over 40 independent, locally led and governed partner organizations and a global organization that works to accelerate the progress of the network. Each network partner recruits and develops promising future leaders to teach in their nations’ under-resourced schools and communities and, with this foundation, to work with others, inside and outside of education, to ensure all children are able to fulfill their potential. Teach For All’s global organization works to increase the network’s impact by capturing and spreading learning, facilitating connections among partners, accessing global resources, and fostering the leadership development of partner staff, teachers, and alumni.
Ref #: 615
- Strategic and effective partnerships with government and private sector stakeholders are critical to all Teach For All network organizations as they work to develop, launch and scale thriving movements for educational equity within their countries.
- As the Director, Fundraising, Multilateral and Government Affairs - Africa (internally referred to as Development and Government Engagement - Africa) You will use your strategic thinking, judgment, and relationship building skills to leverage the knowledge and power of our global network in developing the capacity of our partner organizations across the African region.
- Within your region, You will support our partners and early stage entrepreneurs to create legal pathways to placing their teachers, building diversified funding bases, including bilateral and multilateral donors, and establish government and cross-sector partnerships that enable sustained growth and impact over the years to come.
- In this role, You will also serve as an external representative of Teach For All and our partner organizations in international forums and conversations, as needed.
- Globally, you will build our knowledge and resources to develop and maximize relationships with bilateral and multilateral organizations and foundations to ensure that all Teach For All partners across the world have the knowledge and skills they need to secure support from these organizations in their own context.
- You will be leading these efforts as part of our Africa regional team, which aims to grow the capacity and impact of Teach For All’s partners across the African region overall.
- Additionally, you will also be joining the global teams of Development and Government Engagement specialists and of Government and Multilateral Affairs specialists who support Teach For All partners in this area of impact across the world.
- This position is part of 2 teams: the Africa regional team and Scale team. The Africa regional team is a remote, globally distributed team with team members located across different countries, including UK, US, Brazil, India and South Africa.
The Fundraising, Multilateral and Government Affairs, Director - Africa aims to achieve strong results in relation to:
- The strength of external support, including financial viability, of Teach For All and its partner organizations in Africa (measured by increased revenue, funding diversity, and other qualitative measures),
- Enhanced relationships with bilateral and multilateral organizations and foundations in a diversity of contexts and
- Supporting the growth of a constituency of public and private sector allies in Africa who are committed to increasing educational opportunity for children.
The primary responsibilities of the Director of Development and Government Engagement, Africa include strategic engagement with Teach For All partners in the region in building public and private sector partnerships that increase and sustain their scale and impact. Activities might include:
- 50% Coaching Teach For All partner organization senior staff and early stage entrepreneurs in the area of public and private sector engagement (i.e. Heads of Development and Fundraising, Heads of External Relations, CEOs) including working alongside them in external meetings to further develop their confidence and ability to build external support for their organizations from across the public and private sectors
- 20% Creating resources and tools that can be used by Teach For All partner organizations globally to support their engagement in the public and private sectors
- 10% Defining a plan for external engagements in the public sector for African partners/ESEs leveraging on the global and regional resources of the network in this space
- 10% Designing and executing workshops and sessions at Teach For All conferences that advance the thinking and practice of local organizations in the dimension of public and private sector engagement
- 10% Facilitating high-impact connections and collaborative projects between Teach For All partner organizations so they can learn and support each other to achieve greater impact individually and collectively.
- Bachelor’s degree required, more advanced degrees preferred
- Minimum 8-10 years full time work experience, including at least 5 years of experience in fundraising and/or government relations, preferably within the African region
- Demonstrated success in building and growing effective partnerships with government partners and/or in fundraising, preferably within the African region
- Fluency in one or more regional languages strongly preferre
- Ability to work in English required and French is highly preferred
- Past experience working in the government, bilaterals and multilaterals is highly preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Exceptional reasoning and strategic problem solving abilities
- Exceptional relationship building skills, including the ability to build rapport and engage effectively with individual and organizations from a diversity of backgrounds, contexts, and working styles
- Ability to deeply understand and operate sensitively across a wide range of cultural contexts
- Ability to work effectively within an entrepreneurial, fast-paced, and results-oriented culture
- Adaptability, flexibility, and openness to working collaboratively with colleagues and partners across the region and world, including a significant volume of virtual engagement (i.e. video conference calls, e-mail, social media, virtual collaboration tools)
- Exemplifies Teach For All’s core values of constant learning, sense of possibility, locally rooted and globally informed, and diversity and inclusiveness as well as a commitment to Teach For All’s mission.
Travel and Hours
- Travel expected, approximately 50%, mostly within the region to Teach For All partner organizations across Africa, but also some global travel to lead conference sessions, facilitate peer visits between partner organizations, and attend team and organizational events. Given that we work across different time zones, some non-traditional hours for early morning and/or late night calls are an expectation of this role.
- Candidates for this position must possess local work authorization to be considered
- Salary for this position is competitive and depends on prior experience. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is included.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Teach For All career website on teachforall.avature.net to apply