African Development Bank Group (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Banks development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50092370
- The President, plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group. Under the direction of the Board of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the African Development Bank and the African Development Fund.
- The President supervises several Departments and Units including Office of the President (PRST0); Independent Development Evaluation Department (BDEV); Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department (PIAC); Compliance Review and Mediation Unit (BCRM); Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board (BSAB); Administrative Tribunal (BATR); Office of the Auditor General (PAGL); Group Risk Management Directorate (PGRM); General Counsel and Legal Services Department (PGCL); Communication and External Relations Department (PCER); Staff Integrity and Ethics Office (PETH) and Office of the Secretary General & General Secretariat(PSEG).
The Hiring Department:
- The Compliance Review and Mediation Unit (CRMU) is the organizational unit that administers the Independent Review Mechanism (IRM), which is one of the accountability instruments of the African Development Bank.
- The mandate of the IRM is to handle complaints submitted by people who are or are likely to be adversely affected by any of the Bank Group financed operations due to the African Development Bank non -compliance with its own policies and procedures.
- The IRM examines requests relating to non-compliance with the Bank Group safeguards policies The IRM handles complaints relating to both public and private sector operations.
- The CRMU Director Administers the Compliance Review and Mediation Unit. With the assistance of professional and support staff, the Director assesses and registers requests, facilitates problem-solving exercises, undertakes advisory and outreach activities, administers the Roster of Experts and reports on the IRM to the Board of Directors and the President.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the overall supervision of the PRST, the Director CRMU performs the following:
General Duties and Responsibilities:
- Be responsible for general administration of the CRMU, including staff, budgets and external relations and arranging for the selection of the members to the Roster of Experts who upon the recommendation of the President will be appointed by the Board of Directors.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide advice and technical opinion to the President and/or the Board, as may be approved by the Board under the advisory services of CRMU;
- Arrange for the selection of Experts for the Roster as required upon resignation or expiration of an Expert's term of appointment in accordance with the Bank Group's procurement rules, as applicable to the selection of consultants and prepare the President’s recommendation and reports to the Board concerning the appointment and removal of Experts;
- Establish such administrative procedures and guidelines necessary for the proper functioning of the CRMU and the Roster of Experts;
- Oversee the establishment and maintenance of the Register of Request open to the public on the Bank Group’s website, which shall contain significant data concerning the delivery and registration of Requests;
- Receive and assess whether or not the requests (complaints) fall within the mandate of the IRM, and if found admissible register the requests in the Register of Requests;
- Conduct problem-solving exercises and facilitate compliance reviews;
- Ensure IRM documentary records for requests are well maintained;
- Correspond with requestors throughout complaint handling with regard to any issues and decision made;
- Ensure that all timeframes are met and approve any extensions;
- Liaise with other CRMU staff and the experts, and ensure that such CRMU staff and Experts fulfill their responsibilities generally and in accordance with any applicable Terms of Reference;
- Without prejudice to the powers of the Board and the President under these Rules, take any steps required to ensure the integrity of CRMU processes, including the replacement of any Expert whose impartiality or independence in any compliance review is in doubt;
- Provide administrative and technical support to other CRMU staff and the Experts, including without limitation, making and supervising arrangements for meetings, site visits and IRM proceedings in the Bank Group’s principal office or elsewhere;
- Administer the budgetary allocations for the CRMU;
- Oversee the establishment and maintenance of CRMU databases of consultants, mediators whose services may be called upon in connection with compliance reviews and problem-solving exercises.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Hold at least a Master’s degree in Law, Social Science, Anthropology, Sociology, Development, Environment, or related Humanities field or a combination of related or equivalent studies/degrees;
- Advanced and specialized training certification
- Have a minimum of ten (10) years of relevant professional experience in development, environmental and social development, conflict resolution and consensus building especially in settling human and social problems in developing countries, preferably from Africa. Out of these, five (5) years must be in managerial role.
- Experience in applying relevant public participation, social policies and other relevant policies in development of projects, such as environmental conservation and resettlement of people, and a keen interest in ensuring compliance with environmental and socio-economic policies;
- Familiar with the objectives and functions of multilateral development banks and financing institutions;
- Good communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to carry out effective dialogue with stakeholders, including government officials, project affected people, civil society organizations, and Bank managers and staff;
- Innovation and Creativity: Commitment to search for and produce innovative and creative approaches to activities in order to enhance performance and create added benefits to the Bank and its clients.
- Communication: Provides clear and concise oral and written communication; presents oral information with clarity and appropriate style and adapts language and style to suit the requirements of a particular audience.
- Problem Solving: Applies business knowledge to the resolution of problems and identifies solutions to the benefit of the client (internal and external) and the organization.
- Client Orientation: Ensures that the client is considered to be of primary importance in all transactions and interactions. Strives to understand, and when appropriate, anticipate client needs, and ensures that the client receives the best possible service from the Bank.
- Team working and Relationships: Works with others to maximize the effectiveness of the team as a whole, sharing the knowledge and workload. Develops strong working relationships with colleagues and contributes to creation of a positive team environment
- Operational Effectiveness: The Commitment to ensure that full use is made of the systems, procedures and culture within the organization in order to deliver the required results.
- Ability to make sound, impartial and fair judgment.
- Familiar with the objectives and functions of multilateral development banks and financing institutions.
- High dedication and ability to handle sensitive and confidential documents.
- Strong ability to carry out effective dialogue with stakeholders, including government officials, civil society organizations and non-government organizations, affected people and Bank staff.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications; knowledge of SAP is an added advantage.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other.
Method of Application
Note: This position is classified international status should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem, to HR Direct via: HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
Interested and qualified? Go to African Development Bank - AfDB career website on www.afdb.org to apply