The European Commission's Directorate General for Humanitarian Aid and Civil Protection (ECHO) seeks to recruit a Programme Assistant to join its Nigeria Office based in Abuja with possible missions and/or relocation to Kano or any other state. The employment contract duration will be one year with the possibility to renew.
The European Commission's Directorate General for Humanitarian Aid and Civil Protection is the department responsible for financing humanitarian and civil protection assistance. ECHO finances a range of partners, which indude NGOs, UN agencies and the Red Cross Movement, to provide assistance to people affected by both natural and man-made disasters.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Initially based in Abuja with possible relocation to Kano or any other state, the Programme Assistant (PA) will assist ECHO's Technical Assistants in-charge of programmes in Nigeriato provide quality technical advice and support to ECHO's funded projects in the country.
- The PA will be required to participate in the contextual analysis aimed at determining the strategy for humanitarian interventions in Nigeria and eventually neighbouring countries, as well as for IDPs'/refugees; examining partner's grant proposals and reports; and closely monitoring the implementation of ECHO funded actions.
- The PA shall be required to take a pro-active role in relevant coordination meetings with implementing partners and other international and local organisations ensuring ECHO is appropriately represented.
- The PA may also be required to travel in the region.
- A relevant university degree and minimum of five years work experience in the humanitarian sector; if university degree is not provided, ten years working xperience in humanitarian sector must have been acmmpiished;
- Good knowledge of intemational NGOs and UN aid agencies working in the regionis an advantage;
- Work experience outside Nigeria in an international setting is an advantage;
- Good understanding of humanitarian issues in the region and/or experience with lOPs/refugee
- operations; will be considered as an added advantage;
- Thorough knowledge of Logical Framework Approach and Project Cyde Management.
- A detailed List of competences and Terms of reference are available at http://eeas.europa.eu/delegations/nigeria/about_us/vacancies/index_en.html
- Fluent written and spoken - English is required. Good command of Hausa is a good asset;
- Knowledge of French is an adcfed advantage;
- Personal initiative; ability to work both independently and in a team, with ability to set priorities, and to work to tight deadlines;
- Commitment, determination, reliability and a high degree of personal integrity & discretion;
- Ability to analyse and process information;
- Ability to clearly and concisely convey information to others.
Method of Application
Please apply through the following e-mail address only: ECHO-Abujafirstname.lastname@example.org Your e-mail message must include a covering letter, an updated Europass CV available at
http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/en/documents/curriculum-vitae/templates-instructions, references, and copies of all work certificates, a recent passport photograph, and daytime telephone contact.
Applications received after the deadline stated below or do not conform to these instructions will be automatically rejected. The deadline for submitting your application is 20th May 2014. Candidates who have not been contacted by 31st May 2014 should consider that they have not been selected.