Mercy Corps has been working in Nigeria since 2012. With a team of over 25 people, our country programs currently focus on conflict mitigation, economic development, girls’ education, and women and girls’ financial inclusion. Mercy Corps Nigeria is launching a new program, in consortium with other NGOs, aimed at promoting household economic development and financial inclusion.
Primary Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Position Status: Field-based, full-time, regular, exempt
Position Level: Level 3
Current Employee: N/A
- The Procurement Department is committed to implementing and maintaining the highest standards of efficiency and integrity in the purchase of goods and services.
- The overriding objective for all Mercy Corps procurement activity is the prompt and effective provision of materials and services to Mercy Corps’ beneficiary populations in compliance with donor specifications.
- The Procurement Assistant is responsible for facilitating the procurement aspects of Mercy Corps’ logistic operation.
- Working closely with Program, Administration, Finance and Logistics, the Procurement Assistant is instrumental in supporting program activities through his/her services.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Daily coordination of MC procurement activities;
- Has a full understanding of MC procurement policies and formats. Assists, as needed in training staff on these policies;
- Assists staff as needed on creating clear and understandable purchase requests and other documentation;
- Collects quotations and bids from the market for PR-s as assigned by Senior Procurement Officer – as per Mercy Corps standards and formats;
- Interact with Vendors during collection of quotations – explain Mercy Corps formats and ensure that vendors will use the provided forms.
- Ensure fair competition and strictly adhere to MC procurement rules regarding vendor relations as described below:
- Always accord prompt and courteous reception and fair and equal treatment to all vendors/suppliers and their representatives.
- Provide equal opportunity for vendors/suppliers to make price and specification quotations.
- Guarantee the confidentiality of all specifications and price quotations made by vendors/suppliers.
- Decline to take advantage of vendors/suppliers’ errors, and show consideration for vendors/suppliers’ difficulties by co-operating with them whenever possible.
- Avoid subjecting vendors/suppliers to needless expense or inconvenience when requesting quotations or returning goods.
- Explain as clearly and fully as possible to vendors/suppliers the reason(s) for the rejection of their bids/proposals.
- Remain scrupulously free of obligations to any vendor/supplier.
- Remain informed about sources of supply, methods, services and materials and encourage vendors/suppliers to test and develop improved or expanded products and services.
- Inform vendors/suppliers about current and anticipated requirements.
- If, for any reason, one vendor/supplier is permitted to re-quote (submit a revised quotation), all competitors should be given the same opportunity. Re-quoting should be kept to an absolute minimum.
- Interact with contractors, in coordination with the Senior Procurement Officer & Operations Manager;
- Ensure that the required documentation of supplies and transactions are completed to MC standards.
- Assist the P&L management and office staff with procurement activities, as required;
- Assists P&L Management with asset management. Identify assets during the course of procurement and notify the Asset Controller on receipts of assets.
- The Procurement Assistant will conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Maintain and update MC procurement files.
- Raise payment request for vendor’s payments and monitor the status of each payment.
- Other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Degree in a relevant business field is desired. Minimum 1 year experience in procurement, preferably within an INGO; international business or related field.
- Strong organizational skills; ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel.
- Good oral and written English skills. Good computer skills on MS Office programs, especially in MS Excel.
- A demonstrated ability to multi-task and process information into action as to not delay program activities.
- A clear understanding of procurement ethics and donor compliance is essential.
- Conscientious with an excellent sense of judgment
- Ability to work simultaneously on multiple tasks
- Willingness and ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work as part of a team and coordinate with project personnel
- Good spoken and written English
- Computer literate and strong organizational skills.
Method of Application
Please submit CV and cover letter addressing the key criteria above to firstname.lastname@example.org with mail subject Procurement Assistant. Closing date: 2 weeks from the date of this advert. Recruitment will be ongoing and may conclude prior to this date.