Médecins Sans Frontières is a private, international organisation. The organisation is made up mainly of doctors and health sector workers and is also open to all other professions which might help in achieving its aims.Médecins Sans Frontières provides assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict. They do so irrespective of race, religion, creed or political convictions.
Contract Period: Indefinite.
- Coordinating and supervising the accounting of the mission (accounting, treasury, audit procedures, etc.) according to the instructions of the Finance Coordinator, and in compliance with legal obligations and MSF standards and protocols in order to provide quality, reliable and transparent information to the organization on the use and allocation of resources in the mission.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Being responsible for quality and timely accounting for the whole mission e.g. cash procedures, bank accounts, receipts and supporting documents, electronic data entry, consolidation of overall mission accounting, monthly closing process and documents, ensuring strict respect of deadlines and strict compliance to MSF guidelines, financial standards and procedures.
- Coordinating and overseeing the monthly and yearly closing of accounts and balance sheet, and reporting the mission's accounting statement through monthly and weekly reports, in order to verify the evolution of project finances and provide information about them
- Being responsible for the financial management of donor contracts e.g. preparing and verifying the financial reports to donors, following up and analysing the need for amendments. Ensuring reporting conditions are met and stakeholders in the mission are informed of their responsibilities (for example, logistics for stock inventory, quotes)
- Coordinating and overseeing the payment of tax liabilities in order to comply with legal obligations.
- Coordinating and supervising the conduct of local audits relating to accounting, tax, labour, stock and asset management
- Planning and supervising, in close coordination with the HR department, the associated processes (recruitment, training/induction, evaluation, potential detection, development and communication) of the staff under his/her responsibility in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required and to improve people's capabilities
- Is the technical reference for any accounting-related issue including compliance with MSF financial standards and procedures, legal compliance, training and support on the MSF accounting software / system
- When required, briefing all staff involved, on specific accountancy management (Mission Coordination Team, Administration Managers, Logistics Managers, etc).
Minimum Required Skills and Qualifications
- Essential solid accountancy training and experience-professional accounting qualification (ICAN, ACCA etc).
- Desirable University degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration. Relevant Master’s degree will be an added advantage.
- Essential 5 years previous experience in similar relevant position is required.
- In addition, at least 2 years previous experience with MSF or other NGO will be highly beneficial.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Application including Cover Letter, Resume and copy of relevant degrees, certificates and NYSC certificate/exemption to: firstname.lastname@example.org
MSF Belgium Human Resources Office,
14 Tennessee Street,
- Please include the title of the position for which you are applying on the envelope or in the subject line of the email.
- Only short-listed candidates will be notified and invited for interview; MSF Belgium takes this opportunity to thank all potential candidates for their application.
- MSF is an equal opportunity employer; both men and women are encouraged to apply.