Jobs at AU InterAfrican Bureau for Animal Resources
Posted on: 21 July, 2011
Deadline: 14 August, 2011
View Jobs in NGO / Non-Profit Associations
View All Jobs at AU-IBAR
For the implementation of the Project ‘REINFORCING Veterinary governance in Africa’ (VetGov) funded by the European Union, AU/IBAR seeks the services of an Assistant Accountant to assist in the implementation of the project at regional level.
The project aims at improving the institutional environment at national and regional levels to provide effective and efficient animal health services in Africa. This will be achieved through (i) enhancement of knowledge and awareness for institutional strengthen at national and regional level for the establishment of adequate and affordable veterinary services(ii) enhancement of capacity for livestock policy, animal health strategies and legislation formulation and(iii) enhancement of capacity for policy implementation and regulations enforcement.
Assistant Accountant for Regional Office
• Post level: GSA 5 Step 5
• Office: Departments in charge of finance and/or livestock at the RECs
• Duty station: Abuja (ECWAS HQ)
The position is subject to availability of funds.
2. Major duties and responsibilities:
The position is based within the headquarters of the REC ( i.e ECWAS ) with possible travel to REC member states. Under the shared supervision of the project coordinator and the senior finance officer on IBAR side, and the senior livestock officer and the finance department in the REC, the incumbent will perform the following tasks:
Finance management and accounting
• Assist in the daily financial accounting of the project
• Assist in the preparation of budgets
• Liaise with procurement
• Verify all claims submitted by contractors and projects for approval, in compliance with the terms of the relevant contracts and budgets
• Prepare payments and reimbursement claims for approval with supporting documents as required by African Union and donor standards by cheque, bank transfers or cash
• Conduct reconciliation of project bank accounts at the end of each month
• Process staff salaries, allowances, etc.
• Register all financial transactions in the accounting system and maintain accounting records according to agreed standards
• Facilitate the work of external and internal auditors.
• Provide monthly detailed and summary accounts of expenditure as per agreed formats and standards
• Provide quarterly and annual financial reports as per AU and/or donor standards and formats.
• Degree in Accounting, Commerce or any other related course, including a pass in English or French, mathematics and preferably in science
• CPA (II), ACCA (II) or equivalent.
• Should have a minimum of five years working experience, with preferably at least two years in an international environment
• Previous working experience with donor-funded projects (with European Union is added advantage)
5. Skills and competencies:
• Good interpersonal skills and ability to work productively in a multicultural team
• Perform under pressure
• Willingness to work overtime
• Be highly motivated, have innovative ideas and a creative mind
• Computer knowledge and accounting software like SAP and NAVISON is mandatory
6. Language requirement:
Proficiency in one of the African Union working languages is a requirement. Knowledge of one or more of the other AU working languages would be an added advantage.
7. Age requirement:
Must be preferably between the age of 25 and 40 years.
8. Tenure of Appointment:
The initial appointment will be for 11 months including a 3 months probation period. Contract extension will be subject to performance and availability of funding.
9. Gender Mainstreaming:
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Method of Application
To apply, please submit the following:
i. A letter stating your motivation for seeking employment with the AU Commission;
ii. A detailed and updated CV, indicating your nationality, age and gender;
iii. Names and contact details (including e-mail addresses) of three references
iv. Certified copies of degrees, diplomas and other academic certificates
The lump-sum salary attached to this position will be USD 1,694.81 per month all inclusive.
Applications must be received not later than 14 August 2011 and should be addressed to:
Director of AU-IBAR
P.O.BOX 30786 Nairobi, Kenya
E-mail: email@example.com and a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org
❮ Back to All Jobs
- Know more about AU-IBARSimilar Jobs
- Finance Manager at Save the Children
- Job Vacancy at Palladium Group
- Nutrition Analyst Consultant at the Famine Early Warning Systems Network (FEWS NET)
- Graduate Clinical Services Provider at Marie Stopes Nigeria (MSION)
- Latest Job Openings at Catholic Relief Services (CRS)
- Media Producer at The Education Development Center (EDC)
- HR Officer at The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC)
- Supply Chain Manager at the International Rescue Committee (IRC)