Mercy Corps has been working in Nigeria since 2012. With a team of over 25 people, our country programs currently focus on conflict mitigation, economic development, girls’ education, and women and girls’ financial inclusion. Mercy Corps Nigeria is launching a new program, in consortium with other NGOs, aimed at promoting household economic development and financial inclusion.
The Educating Nigerian Girls in New Enterprises (ENGINE) program aims to improve learning outcomes and economic status of marginalised adolescent girls aged 16-19 years in Kano, Kaduna, FCT and Lagos Nigeria. ENGINE is funded through a grant to the Coca-Cola Company as part of the UK Department for International Development’s Girls’ Education Challenge (GEC). With the view to ensure an evidence-based programming, ENGINE intends to conduct mapping across its intervention sites to guide implementation. Mapping will involve physical visits to the project communities to obtain GIS coordinates of relevant community structures. Hence there is need to engage a GIS expert to undertake analysis of the GIS data and produce maps of project sites.
Purpose of the consultancy
The project seeks to engage a Geographic Information System (GIS) consultant to undertake analysis of GIS data based on outcome of data collection and develop and print maps showing relevant community structures in the project communities in Kano, Kaduna, FCT and Lagos States.
Illustrative list of tasks to be performed
The consultant will be required to undertake the following task
1. Provide adequate information to be collected during the mapping exercise
2. Collate GIS coordinates of project sites
3. Plot the GIS data on the LGA and State Map
4. Design and print map for each project sites/structures
Qualifications and Experience
The ideal consultant is expect to have the following qualifications and experience
1. Bachelor’s degree in relevant field with 3-5 years’ experience in geographic information system
2. Experience in data collection using mobile phones/hand held devices/GPS
3. Excellent knowledge of GIS data analysis using relevant GIS software
4. Experience producing GIS maps superimposed on maps of EAs, LGAs and States in Nigeria
5. Evidence of providing similar expertise in a donor funded organisation
Location of Assignment
Mercy Corps Nigeria, Wuse 2, Abuja, Nigeria
Duration of Assignment
The Consultancy will consist of a maximum of up to 10 working/billing days
Submissions must be delivered electronically by May 9, 2014 to firstname.lastname@example.org All submissions should include: Consultant’s up to date CV and one letter of recommendation from previous consultancy/employer.
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should click here to apply online.