Norwegian Church Aid ('NCA') is a member of the ACT Alliance and works with people and local actors, especially Faith-based actors in many countries where it works in their struggle to eradicate poverty and injustices. We provide humanitarian assistance in disasters and work for long-term development in local communities and societies. In order to address the root causes of poverty, we advocate for just decisions by public authorities, businesses and religious leaders.
NCA has a presence in Nigeria to respond to the Humanitarian crisis in Northeast Nigeria and will scale up an emergency response in the Cross River states. NCA has its core competencies in Gender Based Violence and Water Sanitation and Hygiene. NCA has its strengths in works and invest in local partners ensures building their capacities are built from the onset of response, in order to enable them have the capacity to respond in a long-term intervention including recovery and development.
Contract until 31st of March 2019; with possibility of extension
Department / division / team:
BornState, Mafa LGA, Mafa (location)
Thursday 17th of January, 2019
With potential interviews on Friday 18th, Monday 21st and Tuesday 22nd
The WASH officer will focus on water supply and sanitation infrastructures but he will alsfocus on managing hygiene promotion activities. S/he will contribute tthe development of strategic documents related tthe WASH program, and be responsible for ensuring the implementation of the emergency WASH project by coordinating with other staffs on the field. The person will ensure coordination of WASH activities with all stakeholders including the UN-led WASH cluster, the RRC at State and County Levels, as well as the relevant line Ministries, etc.
- Support WASH Program Manager tconduct needs assessments, technical feasibility studies, prepare detailed engineering designs, BOQs, and assess & identify needs in relation temergency WASH activities
- Documentation and monitoring of WASH activities (WASH infrastructure, WASH point mapping, HP sessions, writing reports) through coordination with the WASH Program Manager
- Coordinate with water supply, sanitation and hygiene promotion field staff tensure that the various aspects of the WASH response are integrated
- Coordinate with community leaders and other sectors and alswith the WASH cluster working locally in order tcoordinate within the WASH sector
- Represent NCA in meetings with the local authorities, the UN and other NGOs regarding health and hygiene on request
- Whenever needed, assist NCA WASH Program Manager with budgeting, reporting, planning, et cetera.
- Participate in trainings and workshops held by NCA as well as relevant meetings
- Lead the WASH coordination in Mafa
Water & Sanitation:
- Plan and implement the sanitation activities and assure that they progress according tthe construction plan.
- Conduct and follow-up activities like construction and rehabilitation of water and sanitation facilities like shower/latrines, borehole construction/repair, upgrading of WASH facilities etc.
- Provide technical input in supervision of construction activities, monitor the progress of construction activities and control the quality of materials and workmanship
- Inspect on daily basis ongoing water & sanitation construction activities at each site, review the performance of construction teams on such site visits and report tthe Programme Manager.
- Organize and conduct refreshment training for Water & Sanitation User Committees, Water Pump Mechanics, pump attendants, line controllers in coordination of other WASH staffs
- Conduct regular water tests tmonitor water quality
- Promote safe WASH practices, including appropriate use and maintenance of WASH facilities and services
- Ensure that action is taken tmitigate priority WASH related health risks
- Facilitate appropriate community involvement in the design and delivery of essential WASH services and facilities
- Enable effective dialogue with the affected community tallow the agency tbe held taccount for the quality of the WASH programme
- Support the other WASH partners in identifying the needs for non-food items relevant thygiene, participate in the choice of items, targeting strategy, promotion of effective use, and post-distribution monitoring.
- Resources management
- Recruit, train, provide support and manage daily workers, volunteers or any other outreach workers following procedures and directives outlined by his/her WASH Manager and the administrative service
- Supervision of daily worker and 20 Hygiene Promotion volunteers
- Follow up on presence and working hours and prepare payment sheets on a weekly basis
- Assist the WASH Program Manager on preparing and following-up procurement of project-related equipment and material
- Maintain an accurate record and take proper care of all field equipment and material stocks related tWASH
- Track usage with monitoring tools provided
- Enforce safety and security procedures
- Assist the WASH manager on preparing and following up the procurement of project-related equipment and material
- Program approach
- Use participatory approaches as a far as possible throughout the program cycle, in training, and in the use of tool kits and other materials
- Ensure that the technical quality of the WASH infrastructures is in line with relevant standards (SPHERE), and that the work is being carried out in a way that meets humanitarian principles and the project’s code of conduct
- Ensure that WASH activities meet the outputs stated in the project’s logical framework
- Ensure that WASH facilities are designed and implemented in a way that is sensitive tgender, vulnerable people, protection, HIV, the environment, and other important cross-cutting concerns
Qualification, skills and requirements
- Minimum of BSc in the engineering fields and other related fields
- At least one year of experience for emergency settings is an asset
- Applications are only expected from Nigerian nationals
- Must have good assessment, analytical, and planning skills
- Good oral and written reporting skills
- Training/counterpart development skills
- Ability twork well in the field under difficult circumstances
- Good communication skills
- Problem solving capacity
Practical experience on the use of participatory tools for promotion of sanitation and hygiene is appreciated
Familiarity with the culture of the affected population, ability tdevelop respect from a wide range of people and strong ability tcommunicate effectively on hygiene matters
NCA is committed tfollowing the following policies, standards and commitments and all staff are equally expected tconform to their requirements:
Humanitarian Accountability Partnership (HAP)
Code of Conduct for the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) in Disaster Relief
ACT Alliance Code of Conduct
SPHERE Humanitarian Charter and Minimum Standards in Disaster Relief
NCA Nigeria Security Plan
NCA Nigeria Staff Handbook
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE SELECT CANDIDATE IS REQUIRED TSTART AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
Method of Application
Interested candidates, please send your applications (CV and motivation letter in a sealed envelope or in pdf by email) by Thursday 17th 5PM to:
1/ NCA Office, 14 NTA quarters, Damboa road, Maiduguri; or
FEMALE APPLICANTS ARE HIGHLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY