Regional Director at John Snow Incorporated (JSI)
Posted on: 6 December, 2018
Deadline: 21 December, 2018
View Jobs in NGO / Non-Profit Associations
View All Jobs at John Snow Inc - JSI
John Snow Incorporated (JSI), is a public health research and technical assistant firm dedicated to improving the health of individuals and communities throughout the world. It manages the USAID/DELIVER PROJECT and the Supply Chain Management System (SCMS) project in the Nigeria office.
Position Category: Direct hire, paid in US
Starting Date: 1st February, 2019
- USAID Advancing Nutrition is USAID’s flagship nutrition program, led by JSI Research & Training Institute, Inc., and a diverse consortium of experienced partners: Helen Keller International, National Cooperative Business Association CLUSA International, Save the Children, the Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition, Results for Development, The Manoff Group, The African Nutrition Leadership Programme at North-West University, South Africa, Cornell University and University of California-Davis. Launched in September 2018, USAID Advancing Nutrition provides technical support to and implementation of interventions across sectors and disciplines for USAID and its partners. Our multi-sectoral approach draws together global nutrition experience to design, implement, and evaluate programs that address the root causes of malnutrition. Committed to using a systems approach, USAID Advancing Nutrition strives to sustain positive outcomes by building local capacity, changing behaviors and strengthening the enabling environment to save lives, improve health, build resilience, increase economic productivity and advance development.
- The Regional Director works across the project to ensure effective management and technical support for assigned USAID Advancing Nutrition country programs. S/he will work in collaboration with home office-based technical Directors to provide day-to-day oversight and managerial support to assigned country programs.
- The Regional Director will provide direct technical guidance and support to country programs in close collaboration with technical advisors, operations staff, and knowledge management staff. The Regional Director supervises Chiefs of Party, Program Officers and/or Program Coordinators.
- The Regional Director is a member of the Program Management Team, which meets regularly to inform the direction of the project. The Regional Director will report to the Deputy Project Director and is based in Africa (exact city and country flexible).
The Regional Director will:
- Manage day-to-day interactions with the country teams to ensure that program implementation is aligned with project expectations and approved work plans.
- Manage the timely development, submission and approval of annual country work plans and budgets in assigned USAID Advancing Nutrition country programs.
- Coordinate the development of global strategic direction for USAID Advancing Nutrition country related work, and ensure sound strategic and work planning processes consistent with global priorities and direction at country level.
- Support project country staff, in collaboration with global technical advisors, in providing nutrition technical assistance to USAID Missions and their partners, including host country governments, NGOs, and other institutions.
- Oversee the development, accuracy, and submission of progress reports (quarterly, semiannual, annual and end-of-project) and other deliverables in USAID Advancing Nutrition countries.
- Monitor financial management and administration of country programs to ensure the effective, efficient, and compliant operations of country programs.
- Oversee and/or support the country Chiefs of Party to oversee HR-related processes at country level, ensuring the quality, integrity, and retention of USAID Advancing Nutrition country-based staff.
- Maintain open communications with the Deputy Program Director, keeping him appraised of complex and/or sensitive issues and work closely with the country program team to troubleshoot these and identify the appropriate course of action.
- Coordinate and/or support country Chiefs of Party to coordinate technical assistance at country level to ensure timely, efficient delivery on all USAID Advancing Nutrition commitments. Ensure global engagement is consistent with country-level commitments and capacities.
- Ensure proper brand identification at country level, and work with the Knowledge Management team to increase visibility of USAID Advancing Nutrition country work and success stories at both local and global levels.
- Develop communication mechanisms and protocols to ensure effective, efficient communication between USAID Advancing Nutrition teams at global and country level, and ensure broad sharing of country level plans and performance.
- Foster cross-country and global/country learning and exchange in collaboration with the Deputy Project Director by identifying best practices, and opportunities to enhance programs through lessons learned and innovations.
- In close collaboration with the Chiefs of Party and the Deputy Project Director, develop and nurture relationships with USAID at the country level, and represent country program related issues with USAID and at regional conferences, as delegated.
- Support the Deputy Project Director and Chiefs of Party to identify and pursue new programming opportunities. Develop concept notes and scope of work as needed.
- Perform other duties as determined by the Director of Program Integration.
- Education: Advanced degree in Public Health, Nutrition, or a related field. Understanding of nutrition programs essential; understanding of engagement with food security, livelihoods, and public health programs a plus.
- Experience: 7-10 years of related work experience in country program management, including experience working in a developing country environment; and 7-10 years of related work experience in nutrition programming.
- Computer Skills: Advanced level proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Language Skills: Proficiency in French, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian or other major foreign language a plus.
- Travel Availability: Ability and willingness to travel internationally up to 40% time, as necessary.
- Proven track record that demonstrates leadership skills, project management, budget and resource management experience, and client relationship management capability.
- Strong knowledge and previous experience managing USAID funding essential.
- Strong technical knowledge of nutrition is essential; and of related areas is desirable, including maternal and child health, food security, livelihoods, early childhood development, and water, sanitation, and hygiene.
- Demonstrated program management competency and effective communication skills in working with both USAID and host country clients.
- Strong attention to detail and excellent written and oral communications and negotiating skills.
- Experience working across multiple sub agreements and partners; ability to work well with people at all levels and across functional areas. Team player who seeks and can build consensus.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple activities simultaneously and work in a complex environment with teams whose members are physically located in different time zones and geographic areas around the world.
- Strong initiative and self-motivation required, with a commitment to teamwork and effectiveness within a nonhierarchical, participatory, matrix management environment.
- Sense of humor!
The Salary commensurate with experience.
Method of Application
Interested candidates should submit their resumes and cover letters online
Interested and qualified? Go to John Snow Inc - JSI career website on www.jsi.com to apply
❮ Back to All Jobs
- Know more about John Snow Inc - JSISimilar Jobs
- Field Manager at Save the Children
- Healthcare Financing & Advocacy Coordinator at Save the Children Nigeria
- Support Manager at the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC)
- Jobs at DCSL Corporate Services Limited
- Talent Acquisition Officer at the International Rescue Committee (IRC)
- Latest Jobs at Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO)
- Deputy Safety Advisor at The International NGO Safety Organisation
- National Immunization Consultant at the United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund (UNICEF)