Chemonics International Inc., a leading international development firm based in Washington, D.C (www.chemonics.com), seeks qualified candidates for both professional and support positions for a five-year agricultural value-chain development project funded by the U .S. Agency for International Development (USAID). The positions will be based in Abuja and Kano. Any successful candidates will possess the following:
- The Value Chain Advisors shall assist Senior Program Managers in coordinating all activities including facilitation of farmers mobilization; awareness creation at all levels, training of farmers in best agronomic practices, post harvest handling and the agricultural enterprise curriculum. S/He shall assist in managing the farmer-investor relationship and activities of ADP staff seconded to the program. S/He shall assist in initiating and overseeing on-farm demonstrations on improved technologies and new practices required by specific buyer(s) to improve competitiveness at the farm
- level, assist with development of training materials and training in collaboration with private service providers hired by the project. In addition to technical tasks, the Value Chain Advisors will assist with M&E activities, drafting scopes of work and providing inputs for weekly, monthly and quarterly reports.
As directed by the Senior Program Managers the immediate supervisor, the Value Chain Advisors are charged with the supervision of activities, directly or via delegation, as is appropriate. These include but are not limited to the following tasks:
- Assist Senior Program Managers with the development and implementation of commodity specific plans of action in collaboration with partners and client firms; and, design of training programs as needed for successful implementation of rice and sorgum production in the targeted areas of the region.
- Assist Senior Program Managers with the planning, implementation and monitoring of commodity specific activities including but not limited to: drafting scopes of work for short-term service providers, selecting suitable service providers, supervise their activities and ensure timely and effective delivery of quality products consistent with expected milestones and results.
- Assist Senior Program Managers in providing technical assistance and disseminate the package of practices for the production of high quality commodities that meets end-users quality and quantity requirements through demonstrations, training of trainers, and on-the-spot visits to farms and farmers. He shall give priority to environmentally sound production technologies and practices that increase profitability, while addressing targeted market demands and hindrances to easy access to service markets (input dealers, banks, extension agencies, etc.). H/she shall also give attention to mechanization and ensure adoption of appropriate and affordable machineries that will improve efficiency of smallholder farming.
- Assist Senior Program Managers with development of training materials and training of producers, ADP staff, agro-dealers etc., on improved production techniques and post-harvest handling including cleaning, sorting, grading, and storage. Also provide constant supervision on varietal trials and pilot initiatives (such as contract farming) that will improve efficiency and effectiveness of raw material supply to processors.
- Establish close and effective working relations with key organizations and government agencies and facilitate the integration, coordination and harmonization of value chain development activities with relevant key actors like state governments, private sector firms and donor projects.
- Provide inputs to MARKETS II weekly, monthly and quarterly reports and work planning exercises,
- Perform other tasks as required by the Senior Program Managers.
- First degree in agronomy, agricultural economics or related discipline with over 3 years of professional experience in extension work, training and institutional linkages. Master's degree in the field of agriculture is an advantage.
- Demonstrated experience in rice production and market-led agricultural development is a must. Knowledge of USAID project or commodity value chain development is a strong advantage. Also experience in training extension workers or other agricultural trainers in Nigeria will be beneficial.
- Demonstrated ability to design training and provide technical and marketing assistance to farmers is desirable. Also experience in developing and promoting environmentally sustainable agricultural production and processing techniques.
- Ability to work collaboratively, and build alliances with relevant groups, organizations, agencies, businesses, private or public sectors is highly important. High level of initiative and creativity. He/she must be a team player, able to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and cultures.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their full CV detailing all relevant professional experience and achievements, a cover letter detailing qualifications in relation to the position, and three professional references to: email@example.com
Note: Please specify "the position" in the subject line. Only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.