Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC) is the pioneer and leader of the petroleum industry in Nigeria. We invest heavily in our employees, which is reflected in our industry-leading development programme and our commitment to see our employees’ ideas travel and come to fruition. Our commitment and your drive will meet and help unlock your own potential and push forward Shell’s continuous innovation. We look for ways to reduce the environmental impact of our operations: our global pool of experts and the fact that our employees can tap into that diverse pool of expertise will help our commitment to supply Nigeria and beyond with our oil products. The company's operations are concentrated in the Niger Delta and adjoining shallow offshore areas where it operates in an oil mining lease area of around 30,000 square kilometres.
• Implement the strategy, policy, standards, guidelines, tools and processes for the Global Media Relations Centre of Excellence to deliver the RDS media strategy in country
• Develop creative tactics to proactively push the strategic Shell message in line with the campaign direction to better position the strengths of Shell and thereby differentiating the company positively.
• Enhance Shells relationships with the media and to leverage the successful execution of business strategy, and our themed media campaign, to maximize profile and positive coverage of the company and minimize negative coverage
• Promote understanding of the company and its strategy among the media locally
• To hold, develop and maintain credible relationships with key press and journalists across the full range of media in country
• Organize press conferences, product launches, media site facilities visits and briefings
• Provide 24/7 crisis response capability in country
To rapidly and effectively analyze developing situations and advise senior management on the necessary course of action, including in crisis situations.
• To act on own initiative when representing the Group's policies and actions to journalists, and in determining the appropriate tone and level of response.
• To identify how a communication from one business could impact on, or conflict with the objectives of other businesses or of the Group, and take action accordingly.
• To filter incoming requests for interviews with senior management, necessitating appreciation of the consequences of a positive or negative response, before advising senior management of those worthy of consideration.
· The ability to form and sustain relationships based on mutual trust and understanding with senior journalists and business leaders.
. Evidence of the ability to gain credibility in the eyes of the external media and/or internal senior management experience of crisis management
Position Requirements and Qualification
. Minimum of 10 years relevant work experience with a large multinational listed Communications, Journalism or Media industry.
. Local and International relevant experience and engagement with media industries required.
. Extensive media network will be an added advantage.
. Hands on experience in social media information and usage required
· Experience in managing and influencing key stakeholders at senior levels within an organization
· Experience working professionally as a journalist OR substantial experience working in a corporate communications team within a complex organization in either the public or private sector. This should include extensive front line experience of managing media relations programmes; maximizing strategic opportunities and managing complex, challenging issues.
. Experience in crisis management
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Interested applicants should click here to apply online.