BBC Media Action uses media and communications to reduce poverty and promote human rights in developing countries. To achieve this, it partners with civil society, local media and governments to:
BBC Media Action promotes development and human rights through three main thematic areas of health, governance and rights, and humanitarian and emergency preparedness
BBC Media Action in Nigeria
At present, BBC Media Action in Nigeria has several large multi-year project addressing governance and health issues using both drama and factual outputs. We will be looking to develop new projects in 2013-14 We require a dynamic manager with a highly developed understanding of media and development together with solid management skills to ensure delivery of our projects.
Overall Purpose of Job
The Senior Projects Manager will be responsible for the overall management and delivery of the projects involving the delivery of a range of diverse media projects. The projects will utilise the power of media to tackle issues of health, governance and resilience and the Senior Projects Manager will ensure the agreed targets and objectives of country projects are met while ensuring the quality and cohesion of project outputs. This will include managing project managers as well having dotted line responsibility to radio and online teams who will be producing content for the projects. This post will also ensure that the Research department is kept abreast of project timelines in order that the research is delivered at the appropriate time within the projects.
The Senior Projects Manager will be responsible for overseeing financial management of projects and reporting on editorial and operational progress to the Country Director and liaising with the relevant teams in the London headquarters and donors. Upon request of the Country Director the Senior Projects Manager will represent Media Action in country to key stakeholders and will ensure effective relationships and partnerships with a wide range of partners including broadcasters, NGOs, international development agencies and others.
Main duties and responsibilities
Skills, knowledge and experience requirements:
a) Knowledge of regional and international current affairs
b) Experience of Nigeria, or at least awareness of its geopolitics, culture, religions etc.
c) Proven experience of working in media projects is highly desirable. Applicants with extremely sound ideas, but little media experience will be considered on evidence of creativity and potential.
1. Managing relationships and team work: able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people. Works co-operatively with others to be part of a team, as opposed to working separately or competitively. Values individual's differences and demonstrates a commitment to knowledge sharing and informal learning, for the benefit of the team.
2. Strategic thinking: Able to identify a vision and create plans for implementation of that vision to meet the end goal. Evaluates situations, decisions, and issues in the short, medium and long-term
3. Leadership: Ability to inspire others to realize an identified vision.
4. Analytical Thinking: Able to simplify complex problems, processes or projects into component parts, explore and evaluate them systematically. Able to identify causal relationships, and construct frameworks for problem solving and/or development.
5. Change Management: Able to understand and anticipate the need for change and to build frameworks for planning and managing the continuous process of change.
6. Planning and Organisation: Able to think ahead in order to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others; planning of activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirements.
7. Resilience: Can maintain personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations. Can demonstrate an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
8. Decision Making: Able to take the initiative, originate action and be responsible for the consequences of the decision made.
Interested applicants should click here to apply online.