African Development Bank Group (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50069876
- The Vice Presidency for Agriculture, Human and Social Development is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank TYS High 5s priority of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
- The complex objectives are mainly:
- To develop related policies and strategies;
- Provide deep Sector expertise on complex transactions;
- Develop new financing instruments; and
- Represent the Bank with external stakeholders on the aspects of “ Feed Africa and to Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa
- The Feed Africa recently approved strategy will be implemented through a value chain approach to achieve the desired Agricultural transformation in Africa
- It will be guided by 7 enablers - Increased Productivity; Realized Value of Increased Production; Increased Investment in Hard & Soft Infrastructure; Expanded Agricultural Finance; Improved Agribusiness Environment; Increased Inclusivity, Sustainability, Nutrition; and Coordination.
The Hiring Department/Division
- The Water Development and Sanitation Department (AHWS) is part of the Agriculture, Human and Social Development Department Complex (AHVP)
- The Department is responsible for the coordination of the Bank’s water development and sanitation-related activities to enhance synergies and contribute to achievement of all High 5s (Feed Africa, Industrialize Africa, water-related Power and Light Africa, Integrate Africa, and Improve the Quality of Life)
- The Department also supports regional hubs in the development and promotion of new knowledge, approaches and tools for green and inclusive water resources development and management, and for improved sanitation
- In so doing, the Department leads the scaling-up of the Bank’s contribution to Africa’s efforts to attain water security and sanitation for sustainable socio-economic transformation
- The AHWS.2 works in tandem with AHWS.1 and the AWF to provide the Bank thought leadership for water development and sanitation in Africa. The Department, and AHWS.2 play a lead role in supporting Africa to attain water security through the provision of technical expertise, generation and dissemination of pertinent sector knowledge and fostering strategic partnerships
- Specifically, in line with the mandate of the Department, AHWS.2 provides guidance in the following thematic areas, among others:
- Integrated & Transboundary Water Resources Development and Management for Water Security;
- Water Supply for All;
- Sanitation for All; and,
- Water Sector Governance; as well as the cross-cutting areas including gender, climate change, private sector engagement and fragility.
The position of the Water Supply Officer, reporting to the Manager AHWS.2, has the following work objectives:
- Liaising with other experts in the regional-level stakeholders, and maintaining close collaboration with regional hubs and other water-related complexes in the Bank, the purpose of this job is to contribute to the development of pertinent knowledge and provide technical inputs on sustainable and affordable water supply technologies and approaches in both rural and urban areas, with a special focus on urban areas.
- Contribute to the development of plans for the continent’s water supply agenda and related objectives of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) including attaining water for all and ensuring water quality standards towards improved quality of life for the people of Africa.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Manager of AHWS.2, the incumbent will be responsible for the following:
Policies and Strategies, and Business Plans:
- Monitor the implementation of the Bank’s water policy and provide technical inputs to the review, preparation and updating of the Bank’s strategies, business plans and guidelines related to water supply;
- Provide technical inputs to the Division’s contribution to the development and review of strategies, business plans and guidelines prepared by other departments from the water supply perspective;
- Provide backstopping support to regional member countries (RMCs) for the preparation of national water supply, strategies, and investment plans towards the achievement of national goals and the SDGs;
- Support the review process of project proposals prepared by the regional hubs and contribute to all aspects that relate to water supply.
Water and Sanitation Knowledge Management:
- Undertake analytical work to generate and disseminate knowledge products on water supply with particular focus on:
- Green and affordable technologies;
- Water value chain and private sector engagement;
- Integrated water management and use;
- Life cycle water costs;
- Sustainable service delivery; among others;
- Provide technical guidance and disseminate knowledge on approaches for addressing inclusivity and sustainability aspects of water supply services delivery including climate change adaptation and mitigation, human rights to water, gender, and service delivery in conflict affected areas, within Bank operations;
- Provide technical guidance and backstopping support in the preparation of country and/or sector studies to promote inclusive, sustainable and affordable water supplies services at country level for improved livelihoods and well-being;
- Support the implementation of capacity development programs for Bank staff and RMCs related to water supply;
- Provide technical inputs to the community of practice on water supply to facilitate knowledge exchange within the Bank and to harmonize service standards across the regional hubs.
- Contribute to the Bank’s engagement with key external stakeholders such as the African Ministers’ Council on Water (AMCOW), the African Ministerial Conference on Environment (AMCEN), Sanitation and Water for All (SWA), Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Network, African Water Association (AfWA), World Water Council, etc.
- Contribute to the review and monitoring of ongoing regional and international discourse on water supply, sanitation and hygiene (WASH);
- Provide technical inputs for Bank contribution to the global and regional sector dialogue in water conferences and platforms such as Stockholm World Water Week, World Water Forum, World Water Council, and Sanitation and Water for All, etc.
- Coordination and Collaboration within the Bank for Water Security:
- Support the preparation of annual work plan and budget of the Department’s activities related to water supply.
- Contribute to the Water Coordination Committee to promote approaches for maximizing the contribution of other water-related interventions to water supply.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- At least a Master's Degree or its equivalent in Civil Engineering, Water Supply, Sanitary Engineering, or related discipline.
- A minimum of six (6) years of extensive and progressive experience in a reputable development Institution.
- A very good understanding of water supply issues, challenges and opportunities in Africa;
- Recognized ability to identify and articulate technological issues and to provide sound advice;
- Demonstrated ability to plan, prepare schedules to address issues and communicate them effectively orally and in written briefs);
- Capacity to prepare, analyze, review and disseminate knowledge products with easy uptake and that add value to the sector;
- Capacity to initiate, manage and disseminate innovations
- Challenges the status quo; Initiates and implements creative performance improvements, and sustains forward momentum
- Frequently communicates a clear, compelling vision and strategy; communicates with clarity and persuasively to get things done; keeps colleagues regularly informed about relevant topics and updates.
- Analyzes complex situations or problems; makes decisions and acts quickly and decisively without turning to others for direction; applies knowledge of past situations/trends as appropriate; generates and tests multiple hypotheses or explanations for a given situation.
- Anticipates and identifies client needs and business trends and proactively consults with them to deliver integrated, customized solutions;
- Collaborates with colleagues to drive goal achievement; and uses a network across functions to deliver results; self-assured in the presence of senior people.
- Takes initiative to improve policies, strategies, practices and products to maximize efficiency and effectiveness; Delivers quality initiatives in order to enhance team's performance.
- Communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language;
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications and preferably SAP.
Method of Application
This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.
Interested and qualified? Go to African Development Bank - AfDB career website on www.afdb.org to apply