The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture seeks suitable candidates for the position of Assistant Head, RMPEL at the Institute’s Headquarters in Ibadan. This position will assist the Manager, Resource Mobilization, Protocol and External Liaison (RMPEL) in enhancing IITA’s public awareness activities with a view to enriching the Institute’s relationship with donors, government officials, collaborators, and embassies and other relevant agencies in the host country. This position will support the Manager in ensuring cooperation and understanding with relevant host Government agencies to develop stronger and closer working relationships in support of IITA’s research activities and in maintaining awareness of evolving regulatory requirements, trends and developments in the relevant agencies of the host country.
Successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties:
- Assist in enhancing the Institute’s public awareness activities, aimed at enriching IITA’s relationships with donors, government officials, collaborators, host countries, embassies, and other beneficiaries of IITA.
- Assist in ensuring cooperation and understanding with host government agencies, e.g. immigration service and other governmental departments for statutory clearances, permits, and approval, and developing stronger and closer working relationships in support of IITA’s research activities.
- Assist with the planning and coordination of reception of dignitaries from IITA’s partners, donors and investors and the diplomatic community.
- Coordinate all functions relating to immigration, visas, passport procurement and renewals, resident permits, ECOWAS documents, etc.
- Follow up with host Government organizations to facilitate RMPEL activities and transactions.
- Maintain awareness of evolving regulatory requirements, trends and development that pertain to procurement of visas from Embassies.
- Prepare visa application letters and ensure that documents submitted meet the requirements.
- Develop, maintain and update relevant databases relating to operations of the Unit including data on all foreign Embassies and High Commissions in Nigeria and ensure in particular that visa requirements are updated as necessary.
- Advise supervisor on Government rules and regulations relating to the function of IITA as an international organization.
- Work independently and within the RMPEL team on special projects .
- Under the guidance of the Manager, act as liaison with internal clients (IITA Units and Stations) and with external stakeholders.
- Prepare monthly report of activities of RMPEL.
- Plan, prepare and contribute to presentations by RMPEL as may be required from time to time
- Facilitate information dissemination with regard to RMPEL activities and services
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor from time to time.
Qualification, Experience and Skills
- B.Sc. or HND in Secretarial Studies, Business Administration or related discipline.
- 8 years cognate experience, particularly in an international multilingual and multicultural environment.
- Strong communication skills—oral and written
- Strong leadership skills
- Technical capability
- Cultural intelligence
- Personal Effectiveness
- Political awareness
- Good sense of judgment and discretion
- Collaboration/relationship management skills
- Knowledge and application of protocol
Additional Eligibility Requirements
- Willingness to travel
- High energy level
- Ability to work under pressure
- Willingness to work at odd hours
- Excellent English reporting, writing and oral communication skills
- Strong ability to co-ordinate, prioritise and take initiative
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive fringe benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
Method of Application
Interested applicants should forward their applications with detailed curriculum vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format to IITA website no later than Two Weeks from the date of this publication. The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include either the Head of applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior officer at work and evidence of current remuneration package to IITA website.
Click here for more details on the job.