Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
PUI is implementing humanitarian activities in Nigeria since April 2016, supporting population with food security, nutrition, health and protection project in Maiduguri and Borno State. PUI is now looking for its Health team in Maiduguri.
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Starting Date: 30th August, 2018
Duration of Contract: 7 months
- Under the direct supervision of the SRH supervisor, the Midwife provides Maternal and New born Child Health (MNCH) and Sexual and Reproductive Health (SRH) care services, including Ante Natal Care (ANC), Post Natal Care (PNC), Basic Emergency Obstetric and Neonatal Care, family planning, etc.
- S/he follows PUI obstetrical and Sexual Reproductive Health protocols and universal standards to ensure quality and continuity of care.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Welcome patients to the MNHC/ SRH services in the Outreach site.
- Establish personal rapport with potential and actual patients and their relatives.
- Provide Antenatal and Postnatal care services.
- Provide Basic Obstetrical and Neonatal care, including assistance to urgent normal deliveries, manage obstetric emergencies.
- Ensure mothers receive the documents required (birth certificate, vaccination card…).
- Provide Family planning counseling as a routine and on request (where possible to the couple) and provide contraceptives according to the need.
- Treat sick Pregnant and Lactating Women for illnesses selected by PUI, and for which a protocol is provided and adhere to therapeutic standards.
- Manage sexual transmitted infections according to PUI protocols.
- Maintain patient confidentiality.
- Assess urgency and make sure urgent cases are seen first
- Evaluate the pregnant women for high risks pregnancy and ensure a timely referral to secondary health services.
- Identify cases needing referral and refer them in time, assessment and follow-up of new borne.
- Identify Sexually Gender Based Violence victims and collaborate with the medical team for treatment.
- Provide individual and group health education to patients concerning safe motherhood, care of the new born, IYCF (Infant and Young child feeding), Family Planning and general Sexual Health.
- Maintain a safe and clean working environment by complying with Universal standards, procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Adhere to infection-control policies and protocols, medication administration and storage procedures, and controlled substance regulations.
- Document collected information on health cards and other records.
- Support in various data collection.
- Ensure coordination and continuity of care through verbal and written reports and coordination with Nurse Team Leader/ Nurse and other Outreach staff.
- Ensure operation of equipment, and report to Nurse Team Leader in case of damage or not functioning.
- Participate actively in meetings and trainings when required.
- Perform other relevant duties as requested by supervisors
Specific Objective and Linked Activities:
- Provide essential preventative assistance services and follow up to identified women in reproductive age years, especially pregnant/lactating women.
- Report on collected data.
- Directly report any difficulties or delays in the implementation of activities.
Priorities of the Department:
- Ensuring the quality of care provided to patients in pui health facility
- Assessing on pregnant and lactating women, reproductive age women to identify risk factor
- Building the capacity of the community Health workers, nurses on thematic related to sexual and reproductive health
- Providing frequent feedbacks on health – illness patterns observed in the outreach sites that require further assessments
- Recognized Midwife Degree (at least certificate level) with national legislation
- 2-3 years of experience in Midwifery
- Work experience with other NGO’s would be an asset.
- Good command in English (speaking, reading & writing)
- Fluent in local languages – Kanuri, Hausa.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Technical knowledge about use of medical equipment
- Good knowledge about Ante Natal Consultation and Post Natal Consultation
- Good practice in conduction of deliveries
- Interests: Working in humanitarian relief, interest for social issues
- Excellent communication, conflict solving and diplomacy skills to manage relationship in potentially tense situations
- Strong motivation to help people in need
- Ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation within a mission or the organization itself
- Understanding of the political situation in the area
- Ability to analyze and suggest improvements of the activities
- Well organized and hard worker
- Able to manage stress and pressure
- Understanding of the context of the area
- Able to check validity of information, logical thinking
Method of Application
Applicants should send their Resume and Cover Letter to: email@example.com with the subject: HRMAI2018_MIDWIFE
Note: Application without Resume and Cover Letter won't be received.