If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
At CARE, we seek a world of hope, tolerance and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and people live with dignity and security.
This has been our vision since 1945, when we were founded to send lifesaving CARE Packages® to survivors of World War II. Today, CARE is a global leader in the movement to eradicate poverty. In 2015, CARE worked in 95 countries and reached 65 million people with an incredible range of life-saving programs. We also put women and girls at the center of our work because we know that we cannot overcome poverty until all people have equal rights and opportunities. We seek dynamic, innovative thinkers to further our mission. If you share our core beliefs: poverty is an injustice; poverty is solvable; and together, we have the power to end it, join us
Locations: Nigeria, Benin/Togo, and Mali
Type of Post: Accompanied - Family
Expected Travel: up to 30%
- To achieve our goals, CARE West Africa is seeking top performing Country Directors who demonstrate the characteristics and vision to work towards our critical priorities. We are asking these leaders to assume these roles in multiple locations, to drive change and catapult us to the next level.
- More specifically the Country Director will drive for impact that benefits women and girls, address injustice and discrimination, and enhance the lives of poor and vulnerable communities.
- The CD is responsible for all aspects of CARE's work within these country offices, including, among others, setting strategic direction and vision, ensuring program quality, efficient operational procedures and systems, grants and contracts management, financial management, staff management, CARE's representations with Government representatives, donors, partners and vendors.
In these roles the Country Directors will:
- Build and maintain a strong, innovative senior leadership team
- Lead the design, implementation, and evolution of the Country Office (CO) strategic plan based on CARE Presence Review recommendations and each CO’s business plan
- Oversee CO programming to advance CARE's vision and mission, in line with CARE's Program Strategy and standards for program quality; Coordinate CARE's humanitarian response anytime and anywhere emergencies occur
- Direct the mobilization, management, and accounting of all resources in the CO
- Oversee the management and development of the Country Offices’ human resources to ensure a diverse, skilled, and productive workforce
- Develop and enhance relationships, partnerships, and networks between the CO, other parts of CARE and external organizations to maximize CARE's impact on poverty and social justice
- Staff Management
- Strategic Planning
- Program Impact and Relevance
- Resource Mobilization & Operations Viability
- Human Resources
- External Relations, Partnerships and Advocacy
- Other responsibilities as assigned
- Bachelor's Degree in related field
- 6-8 years in a senior management position in development field
- Demonstrated experience in leading strategic and operational planning
- Extensive conceptual skills including strategic analysis
- Must possess the ability to lead and manage program implementation and development and M&E (in absence of a Program Director, the CD will be in charge of overseeing porgram implementation, development and monitoring/evaluation)
- Demonstrated management skills; comfort in managing both humanitarian and development programs
- Demonstrated self-awareness, leadership and interpersonal skills; Strong human resource management skills including capacity building, coaching and conflict management
- Experience supervising and developing a multi-disciplinary team in a cross-cultural setting; Demonstrated interest and ability to give feedback, develop, motivate and lead a diverse team to achieve results
- Demonstrated use of positive coping strategies in insecure and stressful environments; Experience and skills in leading organizational change processes
- Must be able to manage a complex budget
- Effectively follow-up on internal and external audit recommendations; Ensure donor compliance and reporting
- Ability to establish a learning culture within the CO and to facilitate knowledge sharing across CARE
- Experience in successfully managing various forms of partnerships with national and international NGOs, etc.
- Experience in establishing and maintaining collaborative relationships with donors and government counterparts
- Strong representation, influencing and negotiation skills.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to CARE career website on chp.tbe.taleo.net to apply