BBC Media Action is the international development charity of the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC), working in over 25 countries across the world. BBC Media Action works in pannership with local media agencies, civil society organisations, and governments to achieve long term development goals. We produce creative media content to inform and engage audiences, and strengthen the media sector by building professional skills and technical capacity.
The BBC Media Action Nigeria is looking for interested/motivated candidates to join the Team as: Senior Mobile Offlcer - (Salary, Negotiable)
The person is Abuja based With frequent travel. The contract duration IS for 12 months. The start date is April 2014 with a probation period of 2 months.
The purpose of this role is to support the Head of Mobile and VAS by providing in depth understanding of commercial mobile market in Nigeria, Assist in analysing trends in mobile usage and the Wider industry, Provide support tor the development of mobile platforms for a variety of projects within sac Media Action Nigeria as wen as serve as an institutional support on developing our work with mobiles across the organization,
The candidate must have a good understanding of the Nigerian telocommunications Industry, with a strong track record engaging with commercial Actors.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist the research taam in developing and managing research that helps develop BBC Media Action's undorstanding of the mobile sector in Nigeria und contribute to developing the functional and technical specifications of any mobile interventions in the future, Develop relationships with the telecommunications industry, including identifying potential platforms. approaches. and partnerships for multi-media outputs that meet the office's agreed objectives, timelines and budgets and comply with BBe Editorial Policy.
- Maintain and build strategic relationships With trade associations and other organisations for the mobile industry induding tho GSMA. the ITU, the mHealth Alliance etc.
- Contribute to user-technique efforts to understand how existing BBC Media Action mHealth services can be adapted to the Nigerian context.
- Assist the concerned teams in developing contracts and managing reteuonenrpe with all extemal suppliers, including contcnt producers and aggregators. mobile network operetors, web deSign and development agencies, web hosting services. new media markeUng and resoarch agencies. technical suppliers and email marketing agencies,
- Keep abreast of technical and editorial developments in the field and within the BBC. feeding into and making best use of research; in conjunction with the senior project team, adoptjng new strategies and developing new outputs as technology develops.
- Contribute to the development of the BBC Media Action's strategy for Nigeria in particular and for Africa more widely.
- Maintain and build strategic relationship wilh the Nigerian govemment - particularty with the Federal Ministry of Health and Federal Ministry of let - to obtain approvals for aspect of services when necessary,
- Develop or promote partnarshlps to ensure financial
- Sustainability and scale up of any potential services,
Skills Knowledge & Experiences
- A deep understanding of working with mobile aggregators and content providers in developing countries to design and develop Value Added Services using technologies including IVR, SMS and USSD.
- Ability to manage the design and ceveropment of
- IVR services in developing countrles-particularly Nigeria-in a Product Management rote.
- Strong background in user- centred product design with experience of designing and implementing market research, user testing and impact assessments to inform the development and further refinement of mobile services
- In-depth understanding of the Nigeria infrastructure, recnncroqiee and approval processes required to launch IVR services, in-depth understanding of market dynemlcs and competition in the mobile telecom industries in Nigeria
- The skills and ability to build local teams overseras by training and engaging with projects at country level.
- Considerable experience of working in the mobile Industry in developing countries in a VAS management role or in a Mobile Operator Marketing/Planning vertical.
- Experience of designing and developing VAS aimed at the price sensitive segment of the market,
- Working reletionships with key senior management across thf mobile iildustry and government regulators Nigeria.
- Experience of negotiating contracts With mobile operators and aggregator Value Added Service
- Proven ability to design business cases and business models for new mobile services.
- Proven ability to manage procurement processes,
- Experience of working in Nigeria and can speak the local language(s),
Method of Application
Interested candidates should please send in their application/cover letter with an introduction and capability statement stating Capability for the Job, a detailed curriculum vitae (word document please) with names & addresses of at least 2 professional Referees (including their telephone, fax and email addresses) not later than 10 Feb, 2014 to email@example.com with the position applied for clearly stated on the application cover letter. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.