NDI’s staff of approximately 1,200 works with people across the globe to support and strengthen democratic institutions and practices - helping citizens to monitor their elections; training youth and women to take their first political steps; and assisting parliaments, political parties and civic organizations to instill more transparency and accountability in government. If you believe, as we do, in the indispensable role that democracy plays in improving social and economic well-being and safeguarding human rights, consider a career with NDI.
Careers at NDI can take you around the world. With programs in nearly 70 countries and a staff of nearly 100 nationalities, the Institute offers opportunities to grow within the organization, and to learn from the diverse experience of our international staff.
Job Title: Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist: Nigeria (Local Position)
Job Function: International
Department: Central & West Africa
Based in Abuja, Nigeria, the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Specialist would support the National Democratic Institute's (NDI) Resident Director to draft and oversee program implementation plans and performance management plans (PIP/PMP) by performing the duties listed below. Position is conditional upon receipt of funding. Applicants must have Nigerian citizenship to be eligible for this position.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Leads and coordinates the design and implementation of performance monitoring plans and work plans, in close consultation with the Resident Director and other senior staff.
- Develops indicators of success and methods of measurement and conducts baseline assessments based on the program's objectives.
- Develops tools for collecting information necessary to monitor and evaluate program activities such as surveys, interviews and focus groups; identifies relevant secondary sources of information; trains staff to use these tools/sources; and oversees the collection of M&E data.
- Collects data on program results and impact, and based on this information, prepares and submits regular reports in accordance with internal and external reporting requirements.
- Coordinates reporting required for the Nigeria program.
- Trains and assists program staff to identify and highlight achievements of stated objectives and outcomes.
- Assists program staff to produce publications for key civic, political, and donor audiences that illustrate best practices, lessons learned, success stories and the value of NDI's program in Nigeria.
- Ensures that M&E findings and reports are effectively shared with appropriate headquarter teams.
- Analyzes program priorities and timelines to ensure that they are realistic and achievable.
- Coordinates the regular flow of information regarding program activities to NDI's headquarter, donors, partners, stakeholders, and program staff.
- Participates in a continuous assessment of program partners and participants to gather input for current and future program needs.
- Participates in, and contributes to, Nigeria team meetings by providing updates and guidance on performance monitoring issues and prepares monthly field reports for distribution within NDI.
- Assists in developing proposals for future programs.
- Supervises junior staff member.
- Undertakes other responsibilities as directed to meet the needs of NDI's program in Nigeria.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree required in International Relations, Public Administration, Nonprofit Management, or a related field; Master's Degree preferred.
- Minimum of five (5) years of professional experience in performance monitoring, specifically: collecting and analyzing data; working with program staff to identify program impact; writing/editing/publishing reports, preferably in an international nonprofit organization or government agency.
- Experience with evaluation tools and methods such as surveys, interviews, focus groups, and research from secondary sources.
- Experience in electoral assistance program preferred.
- Experience as a trainer or teacher of adult students.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to develop monitoring and evaluation tools that are appropriate for the political context in Nigeria.
- Strong knowledge of USAID reporting requirements and methodology as well as familiarity and experience with USAID grant and contract proposals, regulations, and procedures.
- Comfortable leading all M&E efforts for the team.
- Excellent writing skills, including experience writing and editing reports, proposals, and publications.
- Excellent oral communication skills to effectively present information and respond to questions, particularly in a training environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity to effectively interact with a diverse staff.
- Ability to work both independently, with little supervision, and as a member of a team.
- Ability to analyze and resolve problems as they arise.
- Ability to multi-task and manage time effectively.
- Working knowledge of PC-based word processing and spreadsheet applications.
- Experience with Google Apps (Gmail, Calendar, Google Drive, G+, etc.) strongly desired.
- Ability and willingness to travel outside Abuja, including to remote and difficult to reach areas.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Access and Excel
- Fluency in English
Method of Application
NDI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by US law.
To apply, interested applicants should click here to apply online.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale