Nnamdi Azikiwe University from the then Anambra State University of Technology (ASUTECH) which was established by Law No. 7 of 30th July, 1980. With Decree No. 34 of July, 1992 (now CAP. N139,LFN, 2004), the University was taken over by the Federal Government of Nigeria with financial effect from 1st September, 1992
The vision of the University is to be a world class University that is engaged in the highest standard of excellence in all aspects of teaching, research and service.
The mission of the University is to use teaching, research and public service to help solve societal problems including the production of graduates who will be productive members of society, employable and/or creating employment.
The motto of the University is: Discipline, Excellence and Self-reliance. The University has Fourteen (14) Faculties with Eighty four (84) accredited academic programmes.
The Governing Council of Nnamdi Azikiwe University hereby announces that the position of Vice-Chancellor will fall vacant on 3rd June, 2014. In accordance with the provisions of the Universities Miscellaneous Provisions (now 2007 Act No. 1)1993 as amended, Council, hereby, invites applications from suitably qualified candidates with experience in university administration for the post.
- The Vice-Chancellor of Nnamdi Azikiwe University is the Chief Executive and Academic Officer of the University, ex-officio Chairman of the Senate and a member of the Governing Council.
- The Vice-Chancellor shall be competent at all times to advise the Council on any matter affecting the policy, finance and administration of the University;
- The Vice-Chancellor shall be generally responsible to the Council for maintaining the efficiency and good order of the University and for ensuring discipline and the proper enforcement of the statutes, ordinances and regulations of the University; and
- The Vice-Chancellor shall regulate admission of students, subject to guidelines and procedures approved by the Senate of the University.
- The Vice-Chancellor shall a person of unassailable integrity
- The Vice-Chancellor shall be a Professor of at least SEVEN years standing who understands the contemporary demands of leadership of the University. He/She should have had a wide academic/administrative experience of at least 15 years in the University system and be capable of giving dynamic leadership to this University
- A person with high scholastic and academic credentials who must have outstanding accomplishments in academics and in public life generally
- A person who must command both national and international respect particularly in the academic world to enhance the good reputation of the University
- A person who is likely to command the respect and loyalty of members of staff, students and community neighbours of the University, and not likely to foster personal, racial, ethnic, political, religious or other sectional interests and must be free from financial embarrassment;
- A person of courage who can take decisions on the merit of facts and principles and not on the basis of pressures from individuals or groups
- A person who has the competencies to begin to reorientate the University mandate from a purely liberal to a more utilitarian mode; and
- A person who can maintain the highest standards of transparency and accountability and who can forge the entire University community into a cohesive unit.
Terms and Conditions of Service
The salaries and conditions of service are as applicable to the post of Vice-Chancellor in Nigeria Federal Universities as determined by Government from time to time. The Vice-Chancellor shall hold office for a one-term period of five (5 nos.) years only. The candidate shall not be more than sixty five (65) years of age at the date of possible assumption of duty as Vice-Chancellor on 4th June, 2014.
Method of Application
Interested candidates are expected to submit with their applications, twenty-five (25) copies of their detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) highlighting among others, the following:
- Full names
- Date and Place of Birth
- Contact Address with e-mail address and telephone numbers
- Marital Status, number and ages of children
- Academic qualifications (degrees with Classes and copies of credentials to be enclosed)
- Teaching, research, administrative and managerial experience; Membership of academic and professional bodies
- A statement of his/her Vision and Mission
- Names and addresses of three (3) referees who should be able to attest to the candidate’s academic and managerial abilities as well as his moral character and uprightness. (The candidates should request their referees to forward references directly to the Chairman of Council, Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Nigeria)
In the case of nominated or “searched candidate” the CV must be accompanied by a letter of consent duly signed and dated by the candidate; and All applications are to be forwarded by hand or Courier Service under confidential cover in a sealed envelope marked at the upper left hand corner “Post of Vice-Chancellor, NAU” to reach:
The Registrar and Secretary to Council,
Nnamdi Azikiwe University
P.M.B. 5025, Awka,
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale