If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
The African Development Bank places research and knowledge sharing at the center of its activities, as sound economic analysis has the potential to play an important role in the transformation of African economies towards sustainable development and poverty reduction. In 2007, the AfDB established a Development Research Department as part of the Bank’s reform process. The Department's activities focus on devising and undertaking a program of research and analysis on priority social and economic development issues that support the Bank's policy and operations agenda.
The Department comprises about 25 researchers in two Divisions. The Research Partnerships Division is seeking to strengthen its team of researchers by recruiting a Research Economist with expertise in economic and development research and strong quantitative background, good analytical and writing skills.
Position title: Research Economist
Position N°: 50065152
Publication date: 11/12/2013
Closing date: 31/12/2013
Duties and responsibilities
- Under the general supervision of the Director and direct supervision of the Division Manager the incumbent’s Duties.
Responsibilities will be as follows:
- Contribute to the production of Bank’s flagship publications (African Development Report, African Economic Outlook), Bank Group Annual Report and research studies.
- Provide economic intelligence (through statements, speeches, policy briefs) to the President and Senior Management on economic development issues.
- Undertake research and write publications in the Bank’s Working Papers Series, policy briefs, journal articles and other publications.
- Participate in and contribute to Country Strategic Papers (CSP), Economic Sector Work (ESW), and other activities related to improving the Bank’s operational effectiveness.
- Review operations documents and participate in review meetings.
- Provide support to Division Manager on any other tasks upon request.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Division Manager.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- At least a Master’s degree in Economics, or related social sciences. Preference will be given to candidates with a PhD in these subject areas.
- At least 4 years of relevant professional experience in development policy research or University teaching.
- Strong econometrics background and knowledge in the use of standard statistical packages including stata and Eviews.
- Knowledge to develop and implement research programs; ability to design and manage research projects from conceptualization to publication.
- Ability to undertake research projects with limited supervision; clear written and oral communication skills as well as mature interpersonal and professional relationships.
- Ability to communicate and write effectively in English and/or French, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Proven skills in drafting and preparation of policy memoranda; Competence in the use of Bank standard software (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint).
- For this position, team work skills are critical: ability to work in interdisciplinary environment, contribute constructive comments and receive positively the views of the team members on own work.
Method of Application
Interested applicants should click here to apply online.