Nigeria is the British Council’s largest operation in SSA with offices in four cities: Lagos, Port Harcourt, Abuja and Kano. NSRP is a DFID-funded programme managed by the British Council (who lead a consortium including International Alert and Social Development Direct) that aims to enhance collective efforts to identify and respond effectively to potential sources of violent conflict in Nigeria and reduce the negative impacts of conflict on the most vulnerable among the Nigerian population.
Purpose of job
- To assist the Facilities and Procurement Manager in the management of thefacilities and procurement function of the Nigeria Stability and Reconciliation Programme in line with the programme strategy, implementation plan and financial plan and to client and corporate standards.
Context and environment
- Nigeria is the British Council’s largest operation in SSA with offices in four cities: Lagos, Port Harcourt, Abuja and Kano. NSRP is a DFID-funded programme managed by the British Council (who lead a consortium including International Alert and Social Development Direct) that aims to enhance collective efforts to identify and respond effectively to potential sources of violent conflict in Nigeria and reduce the negative impacts of conflict on the most vulnerable among the Nigerian population.
- The programme will operate from five regional offices in Nigeria with a programme management unit situated in Abuja. The Facilities & Procurement Officer will be based in Abuja and will be required to travel to the regional offices periodically. The post will form part of the programme support team.
- The post holder must have the ability to work in difficult environments, often with limited infrastructure or support facilities. The programme will link closely with other BC-managed work in Nigeria, notably the Justice For All (J4A) programme. The post holder will work closely with the Security Coordinator, Regional Coordinators, programme officers and the finance team and will report to the Operations Manager based in Abuja.
Accountabilities, responsibilities and main duties
- Accountable for ensuring the programme’s facilities and procurement system supports the programme requirements and operations to the highest possible standards.
- Accountable for ensuring efficient and effective deployment of programme resource to support procurements and facilities management.
Responsibilities, main duties and Standards
Main duties will include:
- Support the facilities management process in relation to the provision of goods and services to the NSRP programme
- Undertake and organise routine maintenance of programme facilities, equipment and vehicles as delegated by the Facilities and Procurement Manager. Ensure that defects and malfunctions are promptly dealt with.
- To purchase locally, on approval by Facilities and Procurement Manager, small office items of stationaries, equipment, mobile telephone recharge cards
- Support the Facilities and Procurement Manager in the procurement of large equipment and various Outputs procurements
- Ensure that utilities, maintenance and other work undertaken by contractors comply with contracts held.
- Support general office maintenance and ensure all property is properly stored, maintained and used in accordance with its intended purpose
- Maintain the programme inventory for all items of equipment.
- Take responsibility for the management of external programme storage space.
- Responsible for line management of Abuja driver/office assistants
- Provide support to drivers and transport processes and hotel and accommodation processes as agreed during busy periods
- Take responsibility for the programme document archiving process including the external storage and retrieval of files.
- Support the Facilities and Procurement Manager in scheduling and managing annual rehearsal of business continuity plan in collaboration with NSRP Security Coordinator
- Support the Facilities and Procurement Manager in regular and effective testing of emergency procedures in all NSRP offices (in Conjunction with the Security Coordinator)
- Support the Facilities and Procurement manager in ensuring that adequate first aid procedures are in place for all offices
- Ensure that first aid provision is in place for in-country travel
- Ensure that programme staff and consultants are fully aware of all emergency procedures and services, including evacuation procedures, awareness of first aid provision
- Support the Facilities and Procurement Manager in conducting six-month reviews of health and safety procedures
- Support the Facilities and Procurement management in fuel management, managing and maintaining fuel cards, total top up cards, and monitoring of fuel consumption
- Support the F&P Manager in developing and implementing required policy and procedures for drivers, vehicle usage and fuel management e.g. guidelines for drivers, vehicle usage policy, car hire policy, fuel management systems and processes
- Facilities and procurement services are delivered timely, effectively and within budget; the facilities and procurement function adequately support the programme requirements and operations.
- Goods and services procured for the programme represent value for money, are fit for purpose and meet minimum agreed standards, timescales and budgets
- Maintenance schedules are maintained, and communicated properly with staff /offices using assets
- Assets register and related inventories are up to date with accurate information and asset properly labelled in accordance with DFID standard
- Programme storage space is maximised. Storage areas are tidy and secure and documents are safe from damage. Archiving and completion of documents is in line with the British Council policy
- Programme Vehicle management is in line with NSRP policy
- Fuel management and car hire management are in line with NSRP policies
- Business continuity plan and health and safety processes are effective and are in line with NSRP and the British Council policies
- Line management of support staffare in accordance with the British Council standards
- First Degree or relevant qualification and/or experience
- Experience of supporting facilities for similar programmes or sector.
- Experience of working in the development field in challenging environments.
- Procurement Management
- Experience of supporting procurement for similar programmes or sector
- Experience managing project budgets
Method of Application
Read through the role profile for Facilities and Procurement Officer. Download and complete the application form. To help you understand and complete the application form, read through the ‘How to complete the application’ in the application form. Listed within the role profile document, you will find a number of listed ‘behaviours’ and ‘skills and knowledge’. Evidence against those criteria’s will need to be provided in your role application form. To help you understand those criteria’s, we have provided a ‘behaviours’ and ‘generic skills' dictionary.
Please read all the documents carefully before you fill in the job application form. Telephone applications will not be considered. Completed applications should be sent via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org .
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.