IITA is an international non-profit agricultural research-for-developmenl (R4D) organization established in 1967. governed by a Board of Trustees, and a member of the CGIAR Consortium. Our R4D approach is anchored on the development needs of tropical nations. We work with partners to enhance crop quality and productivity, reduce producer and consumer risks, and generate wealth from agriculture. We have more than 100 internationaHy recruited scientists from about 35 countries and 900 nationally recruited staff based in various stations across Africa. Please visit http://www.iita.org for more information on IITA. IITA seeks a qualified Project Administration Specialist to support various plant pathology and mycotoxin projects under the aegis ofCGIAR Research Projects and by several other development investors. One of the major focus areas of the work is on biological control of aflatoxins (www.aflasafe.com). The objective of our research is to manage diseases and minimize mycotoxin contamination to improve health and enhance income of Afric.an farmers and consumers. We achieve
these objectives by developing, testing and deploying disease and mycotoxin management practices on the foundation of a good knowledge base on key biological, environmental, inslitutional and policy drivers that influence disease development and mycotoxin contamination. Our research is conducted with all relevant public and private sector actors in the crop value chain and with the health sector plus key collaborators internal and external to IITA.
The Project Administration Specialist is expected to work closely with principal investigators of various projects, and under the guidance of IITA's lead Plant Pathologist in conducting and monitoring activities of various research projects. He/She wil! report to IITA's lead Plant Pathologist and through him to the IITA Director of West Africa Programs.
Successful candidate will among other things perform the following
RESEARCH PROJECT PLANNING AND MANAGEMENT
• Develop and maintain plans to support research projects including task analyses, schedules, and resources needed
• Establish and maintain cost, schedule, and technical performance standards for projects and proposals
• Ensure activities are completed on time, within budget, and meet quality assurance standards
• Develop and implement plans for evaluating project progress.
• Coordinate group-writing processes and deadlines.
RESEARCH REPORTING REQUIREMENTS
• Communicate status offunded activities to the principal investigators and research team.
• Maintain positive relationships with all internal and external stakeholders.
• Track expenditures and report on the status ofthe budget.
• Write financial and project progress reports as required by funder.
• Collaborate with Pis and project leads to develop, write, and submit annual progress and summative project reports
ORGANIZE PEOPLE AND RESOURCES
• Plan for resources needed to support project and proposal implementation
• Provide leadership for support team members, use participative Core Competencies: management and/or consensus decision making as appropriate
• Conduct periodic evaluation of project procedures and assess
• Experience with budget preparation and resource allocation Schedule and conduct project meetings as monitoring, project activity monitoring needed
• Demonstrated project management skills
• Participate in strategic planning for project staffing
• Ability to meet tight deadlines for various COMMUNICATION activities
• Establish and maintain project management information system
• Assist in writing public awareness materials, including social media tasks; keen attention to detail
• Keep aflasafe website up-to-date and initiate a mechanism of regular
• Ability to communicate complex research updates of project activities for communicating to relevant results in a concise and engagingfashion stakeholders
• Excellent spoken and written communication
• Keep principal investigators informed of'the status of the projects skills in English
• Collaborate with principal investigators to develop, write, and submit budget and authorize allocations to various budget
• Conversant in social networking tools
Qualification and Experience
• M.A/M.Sc. Degree in Management, International Development Studies, Biological Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Natural
Resources Management, Social Sciences and Natural Science or related qualification from a recognized University;
• Project management qualification, ideally Prince 2 Practitioner level or APMP Level 7 with Microsoft Project. Having porttolio or program management experience is an advantage.
• Specialization in the area of programming and coordination is an advantage.
• At least 7 years of professional experience in managing large-scale projects with a strong programming approach in an international research development organization
• Extensive international experience in working with governments, multilateral and bilateral development agencies and civil society organizations;
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive fringe benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
Interested applicants should forward their applications with detailed curriculum vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format to IITA website: http://www.iita.org/careers no later than Two Weeks from the date of this publication. The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include either the Head of applicant's current or previous organization or applicant's direct Supervisor/Superior officer at work and evidence of current remuneration package.