If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
African Development Bank (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank's development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
- The Vice-Presidency for Private Sector, Infrastructure and Industrialization is central to the Bank’s mission of developing the private sector, improving infrastructure and accelerating industrialization.
- The complex main functions are to:
- Strengthen the enabling environment for private sector [and financial sector] development conducive to inclusive growth and sustainable development,
- Support the development of reliable and sustainable infrastructure, including cities and urban development, and
- Place renewed emphasis on industrial and trade performance in support of structural transformation across Africa.
- The Complex leverages knowledge, co-financing, and partnerships to attract private capital and work with governments on delivering the Bank’s development agenda.
- The Chief Policy Economist will provide overall guidance and direction to PIVP’s economic work, including analytical work and the policy dimension of loans and investments.
- The main objective of this position will be to ensure the quality of economic work and analysis within the Private Sector, Infrastructure and Industrialization complex.
- He/she will also be the focal point for PIVP of a number of cross-cutting initiatives with a strong economic or policy dimension.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Vice-President - PIVP, the Chief Policy Economist will perform the following:
- Advise the Vice-President - PIVP on a broad range of economic and policy issues.
- Contribute to strategies at Complex or departmental level.
- Prepare policy briefs and presentations on topics as required by the Vice-President’s program and priorities.
- Coordinate the Economic and Sector Work (ESW) agenda and priorities of PIVP, including identification of priority areas for ESW, coordination of the work of the departments in this area, as well as quality assurance.
- Maintain strong linkages with the Chief Economist’s complex (ECVP), including the articulation of operational research needs of PIVP and mainstreaming of relevant insights and analysis generated by ECVP.
- Coordinate inputs to and interface on ADOA, thus improving the ADOA readiness of PIVP operations and the mainstreaming of lessons learned. This would also include coordination with ADOA and other stakeholders in the organization of the Bank’s work on Blended Finance.
- Help recruit and train economists for PIVP. Develop an informal network of economists and policy experts within PIVP and identify learning opportunities for this group.
- Maintain a Roster of economic analysts and consultants that can be drawn upon by teams as needed to supplement in-house capacity.
- Initiate or support the formulation of ESW or analytical work in the focus areas of PIVP.
- Lead the work of the Complex in specific areas, with emphasis on topics or themes cutting across departmental or corporate boundaries, including:
- Development impact and related metrics, and linkages with BDEV and the Results department;
- Economic analysis to underpin the rationale for concessional blended finance;
- Value and supply chains and their operational implications;
- Other special initiatives with a strong economic or policy dimension.
Including Desirable Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Hold at least a Master's Degree or its equivalent in Economics and/or Public Policy or in a related discipline.
- Have a minimum of seven (07) years of relevant professional experience.
- Strong background in micro-economics.
- Experience in developing and implementing strategies, policies or programs in support of private sector development is an added advantage.
- Work experience in a development institution is also desirable.
- Demonstrated track record in economic and policy analysis in one or more of the following areas: private sector development, financial sector deepening, infrastructure sector reform, and/or industrialization.
- Relevant articles publications as author or co-author.
- Strong background in issues of economic regulation and policy reform.
- Capacity to produce high level analytical reports and policy briefs.
- Having private sector experience will be an added advantage.
- Ability to manage multiple, simultaneous and shifting demands/priorities under tight deadlines and coordinate the work of others.
- Operational effectiveness.
- Innovation and creativity.
- Team working and relationship.
- Client orientation.
- Excellent spoken and written English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications; Knowledge of SAP is advantageous
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to African Development Bank - AfDB career website on www.afdb.org to apply