If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
The International Rescue Committee (IRC), one of the world’s largest humanitarian agencies, provides relief, rehabilitation and post-conflict reconstruction support to victims of natural disaster, oppression and violent conflict in 42 countries. The IRC is committed to bold leadership, innovation and creative partnerships. Active in public health, education, livelihoods, women's empowerment, youth development, and protection and promotion of rights, IRC assists people from harm to home.
Employment Category: Regular
- The International Rescue Committee, one of the world's largest humanitarian agencies, provides relief, rehabilitation and post-conflict reconstruction support to victims of natural disaster, oppression and violent conflict in 42 countries.The IRC is committed to bold leadership, innovation and creative partnerships. Active in public health, education, livelihoods, women's empowerment, youth development, and protection and promotion of rights, IRC assists people from harm to home.
- IRC entered Nigeria in October 2012 in response to a widespread flood disaster. Since then, the IRC has expanded its scope and size of the programs as new areas became accessible after prolonged conflict and insecurity, in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe States. The IRC's response to the humanitarian situation includes integrated health and nutrition services, reproductive health care and women protection services, Environmental Health, Child Protection, Education and General Protection. In 2015, IRC Nigeria developed a five-year long term Strategy Action Plan. The plan has Health, Education and Economic Wellbeing as high priority program areas.
Scope of Work
- The Grants Manager is directly supervised by the Deputy Director of Programs (DDP) in the interim until a Grants Coordinator will be identified and the position is based in Maiduguri, Borno State in the NE with frequent travel to Adamawa field bases and Abuja.
Areas of Responsibilities
Proposal Development & Grant Compliance:
- With the support of the Deputy Director of Programs (DDP), coordinate the development of quality proposals and narrative reports with relevant teams. Act as the lead writer when necessary;
- Manage delivery of timely and quality outputs (proposals, quarterly, interim and/or final reports, etc.) to donors;
- Liaise with HQ units (Regional, Award Management Unit, technical units) to ensure proposals meet internal standards, apply IRC's Outcome and Evidence Framework and are responsive to donor requirements;
- Lead the organization and follow-up of grant opening meetings, monthly grant review meetings, budget management (Budget vs Actual (BVA) review) meetings and grant close out meetings in collaboration with the DDP;
- Monitor and support the use of grants management tools such as FM01, BvAs, and OTIS to ensure accurate tracking of opportunities and grants reporting;
- Coordinate award modification documents in coordination with relevant program and finance teams;
- Support the subaward process with local or international partners, including due diligence of potential partners and draft subaward agreement in line with IRC processes and donor requirements;
- Provide training and mentoring to program, operations and M&E staff on compliance with donor regulations to ensure high quality implementation;
- Provide technical guidance on IRC and donor regulations to ensure compliance within operations, program implementation and reporting. Raise compliance issues proactively with program staff and operations team;
- Provide capacity building support to local partner organizations, including report and proposal related mentoring and training;
- Keep the DDP informed of any projected inabilities to meet contractual obligations, report submission and burn rates/significant budget variances
- Compile and respond to information requests from IRC's regional, London and NY offices.
- Maintain hard and soft grant files of the IRC Nigeria's grant portfolio;
- Distribute and share with all IRC staff copies of all documentation (grant proposals, reports, budget etc.) related to their specific programs.
- Perform other duties related to assignment proposed by his/her supervisor/s
Key Working Relationships
- Position Reports to: Deputy Director of Programs
- Position directly supervises: none
- Other internal and/or external contacts: project and M&E staff, grants staff; finance, HR and supply chain departments
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability.
- In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
- Bachelor's degree in relevant discipline (International affairs, Communications, etc.) Master's degree is preferred
- At least two years international work experience in relief or development programs, preferably in a post-conflict setting
- Demonstrable experience in grants management and business development, including: proposal coordination and writing, report writing, grant monitoring, compliance issues, and budget realignments
- Demonstrable understanding of project planning and project cycle management.
- Demonstrable high-level performance management and team working skills, with experience in managing multiple donors
- Ability to build good working relationships and work effectively with program, field staff and HQ from a distance.
- High-level of knowledge and practice with Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.
- Ability to work well under tight deadlines and high pressure situations
- Professional fluency in spoken and written English; able to communicate concisely and with impact.
- North East Nigeria is security phase 3 (ORANGE) so the Grants Manager will be expected to respect the various security protocols in place in country. Phase 3 requires clear contingency planning in place with staff prepared should hibernation or evacuation be called. The situation in the North-East Nigeria remains tense and unpredictable; concerns include criminality, presence of armed groups, and suicide bombers. This position is unaccompanied
- The position is based in Maiduguri. Lodging is a private bedroom in a shared IRC guest house - with electricity, internet and cable TV. Food is the individual's responsibility.
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to International Rescue Committee (IRC) career website on rescue.csod.com to apply