African Development Bank (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank's development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50092363
- The President, plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group.
- Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the African Development Bank and the African Development Fund.
- The President supervises several Departments and Units including Office of the President; Independent Development Evaluation Department; Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department; Compliance Review and Mediation Unit; Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board; Administrative Tribunal; Office of the Auditor General; Group Risk Management Directorate; General Counsel and Legal Services Department; Communication and External Relations Department; Staff Integrity and Ethics Office and Office of the Secretary General and General Secretariat.
The Hiring Department/Division
- The purpose of the Department is to plan, prepare and implement public relations and institutional communication programs designed to make the Bank better known by its various audiences so as to promote social and economic development in Africa, and to establish and maintain the Bank’s credibility and good reputation as Africa’s leading development finance institution.
- The Department is also responsible for enabling the Bank to understand better, how the institution is perceived both internally and externally.
- Under the general guidance and supervision of the Director Communication and External Relations, the incumbent of the External Relations Division oversees external affairs and partnerships, as well as coordinating the Bank’s external communications work in Headquarters and in the field.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Director, the Division Manager has the following responsibilities:
- Develop strategies for and supervise donor and partner relations; oversee internal coordination, and policy and institutional relations.
- Foster strong external media relations and build and manage key media contacts strategically - supervises relations with media, and especially the proactive relations of works with media to plan a strategic media presence, place media stories, manage database and handle media inquiries and requests
- Manage editorial content - follow and cover the Bank’s news agenda across all platforms (web, social media) for external audiences: manage weekly news flows; plan forward coverage to focus on countries, projects, themes; write, edit, translate and post such stories.
- Manage external branding - safeguard and promote the Bank’s visual and written identity with external stakeholders and the media across all communications channels and vehicles.
- Publications - conceive, write/edit and provide production support for a coherent Bank literature programme.
- Drive increased media coverage and positive perception of the Bank and related activities through proactive pitching and creative media approaches.
- Collaborate with the Division Manager Internal Communication to cultivate story ideas from the across the Bank. Ensure that press releases and articles are written, edited and disseminated in a timely and efficient manner.
- Conduct research and interviews for articles, develop and write editorial content for print and electronic media.
Including Desirable Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Hold at least a Master's Degree or equivalent in Communications or any related field.
- Have a minimum of 8 years of relevant and progressive experience (3 years of which has been in a managerial position) in senior mass communications fields (corporate, non-profit and/or foundation) including public relations, journalism, marketing or related areas, with demonstrated stability and sustained commitment in previous position(s).
- Well-rounded experience in the development world or multi-lateral institutions, is desirable.
- Exceptional writing, editing, verbal and interpersonal communications skills, with a portfolio demonstrating published works and high-level creative, thoughtful and polished printed communications collateral.
- Media relations experience, with the ability to detect and monitor emerging media interest and manage issues of media interest that affect the Bank and its diverse audiences.
- Extensive hands-on experience in multimedia, web design, branding, editorial content, broadcast content.
- Private sector experience is advantageous.
- Innovation and Creativity - The commitment to search for and produce innovative and creative approaches to activities in order to enhance performance and create added benefits to the Bank and its clients.
- Communication - to provide clear and concise oral and written communications; presents oral information with clarity and appropriate style and adapts language and style to suit the requirement of a particular audience.
- Problem Solving - Applies business knowledge to the resolution of problems and identifies solutions to the benefit of the client (internal and external) and the organization.
- Client Orientation - Ensures that the client is considered to be of primary importance in all transactions and interactions. Strives to understand, and when appropriate anticipate client needs, and ensures that the client receives the best possible service from the Bank.
- Team work and relationship - Works with others to maximize the effectiveness of the team as a whole, share knowledge and workload. Develops strong working relationships with colleagues and contributes to the creation of a positive team environment.
- Knowledge of the media and ability to work well with representatives from different sectors of the media.
- Highly developed analytical and problem-solving skills, including the ability to implement and monitor mass communication programmes and campaigns.
- Demonstrated leadership qualities, technical excellence and an established operational track record of excellence in achieving results.
- Strong management skills with the ability to drive change, inspire and grow team.
- Ability to work independently and in a team; display high level of integrity.
- Proven leadership and team building skills; results oriented and ability to work in a multicultural environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, with a working knowledge of the other. Proficiency in both languages is an asset.
- Understanding of and experience with various media software tools.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft software (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint).
go to method of application »
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50092463
- The Vice Presidency for Finance (FIVP) oversees the financial management of the Bank Group. This encompasses the Bank Group’s treasury activities including borrowings from the capital markets and investment activities; controllership functions including financial reporting and loan administration; strategic resource mobilization and the strengthening of the non-statutory financial resources and instruments; the overall asset/liability management for the Bank Group.
The Hiring Department
- The Financial Control Department (FIFC) is responsible for accounting for the financial consequences of the Bank Group’s transactions and decisions, and for the preparation, fair presentation and overall integrity of the internal financial reports and published financial statements.
- The department is also responsible for loan administration and accounting and related fiduciary responsibilities, including disbursement of funds to projects and programs financed by the Bank Group.
- The department also provides decision support and expertise in the development and implementation of financial control policies, operational and financial strategies and related information systems.
- The primary objective of the Disbursement Division is to ensure compliance fiduciary related articles in the Agreement Establishing the African Development Bank and Fund.
- It also ensures that adequate processes and controls are maintained around the disbursements in respect of Bank Group-financed projects.
Under the Supervision of the Director ( FIFCO),The Division Manager:
- Serve as the primary contact and arrange participation in all Networks; Human Resources and operational activities supporting the disbursement of loans and Grants and manage relationships with Financial Management, Procurement, and Operational Core Services.
- Contribute to the critical fiduciary responsibility of the Bank to ensure and provide assurance that funds disbursed to programs and projects in RMCs are used for the (development) purposes as intended as required under the Bank's Articles of Agreement/Association.
- Enable the efficient execution and implementation of projects through timely disbursements in accordance with the rules of the Bank.
- Examine existing disbursement policies and procedures to make them more efficient, client responsive and cost effective.
- Develop changes in disbursement policies and procedures to meet changing borrower needs and institutional objectives.
- Promote knowledge and understanding of loan disbursement policies and practices by Bank staff, co-financiers, borrowers, and governments using missions, seminars, handbooks, and a variety of printed material.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Division Manager will undertake the following functions:
- Plan and direct the activities of the Division by determining the Division’s work and establishing the work program; assigning work to subordinates, providing technical guidance on work problems and exercising supervision over subordinates; ensuring that deadlines and work objectives are met; and appraising and evaluating staff potential and performance;
- Introduce and sustain change initiatives, carefully considering the three main dimensions - processes, people and enabling information technology
- Enhance the skills and skill mix of the division, primarily through training and recruitment.
- Advise on and lead technical discussions and negotiations to ensure disbursement arrangements for proposed projects are compliant with ADB disbursement policies
- Supervise and control the application of Bank Group disbursement policies and process, exercising financial controls in accordance with the financial regulations and generally accepted standards of accounting practice; this includes ensuring the adequate disbursement arrangement during project appraisal and implementation;
- Supervise disbursement related activities throughout the project cycle including providing regular decision appropriate reports to Management, the Boards, Vice-President Finance and President.
- Plan and supervise the development and maintenance of an efficient and effective disbursement systems ensuring the highest standards of internal control;
- Formulate financial policies and practices relating to disbursements;
- Liaise with the Financial Controller and Internal/ External Auditors of the Bank Group and provide responses to their queries;
- Participate in various Bank committees and represent the Department at meetings relating to disbursement, financial, accounting and information technology matters;
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor
Including Desirable Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- At least a Master's degree in Finance, Business Administration, or related discipline.
- Have a minimum of eight (8) years of relevant professional experience
- Private Sector experience is an added advantage
- Sound understanding of the business and strategic priorities of International Finance Institutions.
- Experience in managing decentralized and multicultural teams.
- Experience leading policy dialogue and the design and implementation of financial management systems within an international environment, and/or related to developing countries
- Experience analyzing and interpreting financial data
- Client Orientation, Team working and Relations, Problem solving, communication and Creativity
- Familiarity with Financial Management Principles
- Familiarity with key concepts around the accounting treatment of lending instruments
- Understanding of procurement policies for Bank-financed projects related to disbursement management
- Strong analytical skills, ability to analyze raw data, draw conclusions, and develop actionable recommendations;
- Ability to use SAP CML and Microsoft tools (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook);
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English or French. Ability to communicate in both languages a plus.
go to method of application »
Reference: ADB/17/ 442
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50001247
- The Senior Vice-Presidency complex (SNVP) is responsible for supporting the President in the day-to-day management of the Bank Group to achieve it strategic objective, and drive performance culture that will align all processes and systems to deliver high impact results.
- The SNVP will provide effective leadership and exceptional coordination to ensure implementation and monitoring of key corporate decisions as well as the identification of necessary corrective measures and actions. The SNVP leads senior management discussions, decisions-making process and the implementation of key board and management decisions.
The Hiring Department
- The Strategy and Operational Policy Department (SNSP) plays a key role in shaping a corporate vision and a strategic perspective for the African Development Bank as well as developing the operational policies aimed at guiding the Bank’s agenda.
- The primary roles of the department are: (i) to develop and help maintain (along with other units) corporate strategies and operational policies necessary for the Bank to deliver according to the spirit of its Charter and in line with the Bank’s 2013-2022 Strategy, the High 5 priorities, and other strategies; (ii) to play a prominent role in keeping the Bank a strategy-focused organization in line with its policies; (iii) to support the Bank in raising its profile and engaging strategically at international fora, as well as to foster cross-fertilization and greater coordination with other MDBs ; and, (iv) to lead the Bank in the development of a new culture of innovation and change, including the incubation of new financial/non-financial products and business lines.
The key objectives of the position of the Principal Strategy and Policy Officer will be:
- Provide support to the Bank’s implementation High 5 with particular focus on private sector and infrastructure
- Contribute to SNVP efforts to ensure policy and strategic focus in decision-making across the various Departments, and the improved alignment of resources with strategic priorities, with a focus on private sector and infrastructure issues.
- Provide strategic and technical guidance on Bank’s operations and documents (i.e. Project Concept Notes (PCNs), Project Appraisal Reports (PARs), Country Strategy Papers (CSPs), and Regional Integration Strategy Papers (RISPs), among other.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Director – Strategy and Operational Policies, the Principal Strategy and Policy Officer will perform the following:
- Participate as part of the core SNSP team in corporate strategy development and its subsequent monitoring, updating and refinement in line with sustainable lending and resource options.
- Conduct or facilitate policy analysis to ensure coherence of advice to country programmes (CSPs), project design and implementation support.
- Monitor the implementation of the Bank’s New Deal for Energy strategy and action plan.
- Lead in the preparation of specific analytical products that are conducive to a better understanding of the policy agenda that underpins African Development Bank projects.
- Conduct or facilitate policy analysis of the different dimensions of infrastructure to ensure coherence of advice to country programmes (CSPs), project design and implementation support.
- Monitor and report on the implementation of the Bank’s Industrialization strategy and action plan.
- Support operational sector departments in developing, and consolidating sector-specific strategies and policies in line with the Bank’s Industrialization Strategy.
- Contribute (in conjunction with the SNSP core team) to the preparation of the Annual Strategy Review, for Senior Management, including preparation of the mid-term review and periodical and special updates and reports. Contribute to the preparation of Board documents on selected process enhancement recommendations.
- Support the SNSP team to assist Senior Management to formulate the strategic policy objectives, ensure alignment with the strategic planning orientation and the Bank Strategy 2013-2022.
- As part of the core SNSP team, ensure that all new policy proposals and strategic initiatives are aligned with the Bank’s planning directions and strategy, including the High 5s and the TYS 2013-2022.
- Provide support to the office of the President as required, in particular on recent policy developments, and on the Bank’s response to emerging international issues.
- Represent the department as requested at key policy decisions, institutional reforms and initiatives.
- Provide, as requested, up to date research on environment and business trends and keep up to date on new ways of doing strategic planning itself.
- Participate (on behalf of the SNSP Department) to the preparation of selected Bank’s country and regional strategies and mid-term reviews.
- Represent the SNSP department as requested at selected key strategy meetings and on important missions. Serve as a focal point and spokesperson, as requested, on strategy issues to internal and external constituencies and expert strategy groups.
- Serve as a focal point and spokesperson, as requested, on issues related to infrastructure and private sector to internal and external constituencies and expert strategy groups.
- Work closely with the Director and the Division Manager as a member of the departmental management team; represent the Director and Department at internal and external fora.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Hold at least a Master's Degree or its equivalent in Economics, Macroeconomics or Development Economics, Finance, Strategic Management, Engineering or related development fields and a broad knowledge of development issues.
- Have a minimum of six (6) years for PL4 position/five (5) years for PL5 position of relevant experience, specifically hands-on experience in development of strategic documents and policy guidelines in the areas of infrastructure development, private sector development, or related areas. Proven combination of hands-on operational experience with solid analytical skills.
- Good understanding of development economics and specificities of Regional Members Countries.
- Experience with international organizations is an asset.
- Having private sector experience will be an added advantage.
- Solid experience in leading and coordinating the development of corporate policies, strategies and other directional documents.
- Experience and exposure to infrastructure and private sector policy and operational issues, and ability to provide advice, assistance, and coaching on strategy and policy concerning infrastructure and private sector related issues.
- Ability to think laterally and independently.
- High level skills in communication and negotiation as well as ability to build partnerships with a broad range of clients and deliver results that meet the needs and long-term interest of clients within and outside the Bank.
- Ability to work collaboratively with several teams of multi-cultural backgrounds, both internally and externally to the Bank.
- Ability to manage multiple and simultaneous and shifting demands, priorities and tight deadlines.
- Proven exposure to the Bank’s operations and mission with a good understanding of the Bank’s overall strategy.
- Innovation and creativity.
- Client orientation.
- Problem solving.
- Team working and relationships.
- Operational effectiveness.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other.
- Competence in the use of standard MS office applications (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint) and preferably SAP.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.