If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
International Organization for Migration (IOM) - Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
SVN No.: SVN2017_66
IOM Classification: Special Short Term (SST) Grade equivalent, G5
Type of Appointment:Contract Basis (Renewable) - (Working time: 50%)
- Working under the supervision of the AVRR manager in Lagos, Nigeria and in coordination with the Principal Investigator and Co-investigator in the UK, the Programme Assistant (Research) will be tasked with assisting in the implementation of the research project entitled ‘Vulnerability to Human Trafficking: A Study of Vietnam, Albania and Nigeria’. The project’s primary objectives are:
- To explore socio-economic and political conditions, plus other contextual factors in Vietnam, Albania and Nigeria that create ‘vulnerability’ to trafficking for both adults and children.
- Review existing academic and ‘grey’ literature on trafficking within these countries, particularly focusing on interventions and identification of good practice
- Explore the needs of identified victims of trafficking from the three countries plus carry out research in the UK
Core Functions / Responsibilities
The selected candidate will also support the IOM Nigeria portfolio related to the counter- trafficking programme. In particular, he/she will:
- Assist in coordinating and implementing the key activities within the above mentioned project. Conduct all necessary administrative and financial procedures, and prepare any supporting documentation required.
- Coordinate closely with other members of IOM Nigeria, the Local Research Consultant, IOM UK and University of Bedfordshire staff during the course of the research project
- Support the local research consultant throughout the research process including arranging face-to-face interviews, transcribing interviews and any general administrative tasks.
- Contribute to literature reviews on human trafficking in Nigeria from different sources including academic, NGO and government reports and draft summaries of findings.
- Assist in identifying and maintaining working relationships with relevant state institutions, international organizations, local organizations , NGOs, and others, working on issues concerning human trafficking;
- Assist in organizing meetings, missions and workshops related to the research and other counter-trafficking activities, in particular the Shared Learning Event
- Assist in the preparation of documentation and reports (quarterly report, notes for the file, correspondence, etc.) for meetings and follow up related to the research and other counter-trafficking activities.
- Document research output including maintaining records and databases, compiling relevant statistics, drafting progress reports as appropriate.
- Contribute to qualitative data analysis and where necessary, to quantitative data analysis
- Keep up to date with current knowledge and recent advances in the field/discipline.
- Assist the counter-trafficking Focal Point in implementation of counter trafficking program activities;
- Perform such other duties as maybe assigned
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Completed undergraduate degree in a relevant field (Social Sciences, Social Work, Public Policy, or statistics);
- A minimum of three years of relevant experience in collecting and researching data across various areas of social and economic development or related area.
- Experience/interest in human trafficking, migration and qualitative research is desirable.
- Relevant IT skills, including familiarity with Microsoft Office and web-based applications, required.
- Must be able to write clearly and concisely, and have excellent organization and analytical skills
- Knowledge of some qualitative and quantitative data analysis packages is an advantage
- Fluency in English and Native Language; Fluency in multiple native languages advantageous;
- Professionalism: displays mastery of subject matter; has knowledge of research methodologies, data collection and maintenance, ability to research, interpret and analyse a wide variety of data.
- Continuous Learning - promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication - listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative - actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services, Demonstrates use of initiative and ability to make appropriate linkages in work requirements.
- Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Teamwork - contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation; is willing to learn from others;
- Accountability - takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
- Planning & Organizing - Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning;
- Technological Awareness - Understands applicability and limitation of technology and seeks to apply it to appropriate work.
Method of Application
Applicants are invited to submit their applications via email to: HRNIGERIA@iom.int indicating position applied on subject line
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line SVN2017_66 Lagos. Project Assistant (Research)
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- This position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.