If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Strengthening Advocacy and Civic management (SACE) Project funded by USAID and PIND and implemented by Chemonics International is supporting Life and Peace Development Organization (LAPDO) in the implementation of the project Titled: Enhancing Inclusive Agricultural Governance through Small Holder Women Farmers participation in Agricultural Sector in Ondo State” to help facilitate the emergence of clear policy framework that is favourable to small scale women farmers in Ondo state.
This is in regard to LAPDO`s one-year project under the Strengthening Advocacy and Civic Engagement Project that this scope of work is developed to conduct a research on providing supportive environment for small holder women farmers.
Highlights of some of the agricultural challenges facing the sector and limiting smallholders women farmers‟ growth in the state are: gradual and consistent reduction in the budgetary allocation to agricultural sector in the last 7 years and non-capture of support for smallholders‟ women farmers as a line item in the ministry of agriculture budget; lack of state gender friendly policies on agriculture that prioritize support for women farmers or provide institutionalized engagement processes to capture women farmers opinions/inputs/needs either during budget process or on other agricultural dialogues; weak interaction/linkage between extension workers and farmers as this is vital to smallholder farmers‟ success as they rely on them for new technology transfers to gain market information, and acquire relevant advice that can help in planting, harvesting and value addition or the ability to „climb‟ up the value chain farmers in Ondo state.
LAPDO requires a qualified consultant to carry out a study of Agricultural policies in Ondo State and to analyse the state`s budget allocations and programs that provide support to smallholder women farmers in the state.
Scope of Work Consultancy Service on Policy Research on Supportive Environment for Women Farmers in Ondo State
Estimated Level of Effort:30 days
September 25th and October 30th 2017.
Ondo State, Nigeria
Purpose of Assignment
- The main objective of this consultancy is to carry out a research on the status of the Ondo State agricultural policies and budget allocation to the sector with particular emphasis on support to small holder women farmers.
- Carry out a research on agricultural policies of Ondo State, determine level of implementation, and identify current gaps in the policies with regards to support to smallholder women farmers.
- conduct an analysis of the state`s budget allocation to the agricultural sector from 2012-2017 to see the percentage and pattern of allocation, determine how budget processes and allocations have promoted or hindered growth for smallholder women farmers in the state.
Specific tasks include, but are not limited to the following, and are subject to amendment should initial research warrant:
Finalize tools and develop protocol
- a.Conduct a comprehensive Desk Review of relevant secondary data from the Project
- b.Hold a planning meeting with the project team
- c.Develop a work plan outlining tasks to be performed and dates
- d.Develop methodology and tools for executing the field tasks, including the agreement of a sample size, locations and key approaches
Implement tools and conduct research
- a.Collect quantitative and qualitative data on existing policies on Agriculture in Ondo State to ascertain the inclusiveness or otherwise of the needs of smallholder women farmers
- b.Analyse Ondo State budget allocation to Agricultural sector and expenditure from 2012-2017 showing pattern of allocation to line items for support to smallholder women farmers in the budgets.
- c.Evaluate Government engagement processes and procedures with smallholder women farmers to capture their needs during the budget process.
- d.Conduct an analysis of the state of financial support available to small scale women farmers (both through government and private sector providers) to determine the opportunities, constraints and challenges facing women small scale farmers access to finance
- e.Draw conclusions and make recommendations for action in the short, medium, and long term
Report Writing and Dissemination
- a.Present an initial draft report with key findings to LAPDO team for review
- b.Produce a consolidated final report. This must at a minimum contain:
- Conclusion and recommendations for the project
- Lessons learned
- Findings and analysis
- Methodology – process how the research was conducted
- Objectives of the research
Facilitate the dissemination of research findings to stakeholders.
- A workplan outlining tasks and dates
- Research Methodology and Tools
- Research report with recommendations
Final report of consultancy
Qualifications and Experience
- a.The consultant should have not less than 8 years professional experience in policy analysis such conversant with agricultural policy issues. Advanced university degree in social sciences, political economics, management; strong analytical, presentation and interpersonal skills are required;
- b.Familiar with stakeholders in the Agricultural sector and especially smallholder women farmers in Ondo state;
- c.An understanding of Gender and Social Inclusion issues and programming;
- d.Should have a broad knowledge of Ondo State budgetary process and allocation;
- e.Previous research experience in similar area (preferably proof of some peer reviewed published work);
- f.An expert with proven skill and ability to develop guide that will help shape agricultural policy in Ondo state to be gender friendly
- g.Strong analytical, presentation, and interpersonal skills; and
- h.Excellent written and spoken English and report writing skills
The consultant will report to LADPO Executive Director
VII. Location, Timing, and Level of Effort
Location: Ondo State
Timing: The proposed timing of this assignment is between September 25th and October 30th 2017
LoE: The estimated level of effort is up to 30 days. Level of effort is estimated as follows:
Number of days
- Planning meeting with LAPDO (agree on terms of reference/scope of work and clarifications)
- Review of relevant literatures
- Develop methodology and tools for gathering and analyzing data
- Field work
- Analyze Data and produce draft report
- Finalize and submit report
- Dissemination to stakeholders
Debrief to LAPDO team
Total Number of Day
The consultant is free to adjust level of effort as desired so long as the maximum of 30 days is not exceeded.
Method of Application
Interested consultant should send in their CV and proposal including research methodologies and work plan (not more than 5 pages) titled “Expression of Interest for Consultancy Service on Policy
Research on Supportive Environment for Women Farmers in Ondo State” to
firstname.lastname@example.org Application will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
(Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted).