Girl Effect, is an organisation working to break the cycle of inter-generational poverty. We do this by investing in programmes for girls, connecting girls to each other to amplify their voices, and brokering access to the critical assets girls need. We drive behaviour change by harnessing media in innovative ways and building social networks to shift girls perceptions of themselves and how others value them.
Department: Marketing, Brand and Digital, Project Management
Vacancy Type: Fixed Term Contract
- We have a great opportunity for a Senior Manager to join our Gender team, based in Abuja, on a 12 month contract basis and work collaboratively to drive Girls Connect to scale across Nigeria.
Girl Effect prides itself on trailblazing new and innovative approaches to accelerate change for girls. In 2016, we partnered with one of Africa’s largest IT companies, iSON Group, combining the power of Girl Effect’s expertise with global, private sector technology and processes. Together, we’ve created a new, never before tested, approach that puts girls in the driving seat of their own life experiences. Girls Connect is a unique platform that delivers a personalised, anonymous and confidential experience for girls, combining access to on-demand content and on-demand conversations via a digital platform.
In just two short months of testing, we received over 44,000 calls - that’s 5 times more than expected. We’ve also gained global interest - most recently being featured in TIME. Now is the time to scale Girls Connect. After two successful rounds of testing in the north of Nigeria, the team is expanding the product to go live across 3 states in Nigeria in early 2018.
We're now looking for a dynamic individual to join the Gender team and work collaboratively to drive Girls Connect to scale across Nigeria. The Gender team is Girl Effect’s gender technical function that integrates gender technical expertise into Girl Effect’s unique approach to social norm change for girls’ empowerment. The Gender team is also the function that leads Girls Connect, combining gender expertise with sound innovation, design and project management capabilities to realise the product’s vision.
This role will be responsible for driving forward core components of Girls Connect and will work closely with the Gender team in Nigeria and core Girls Connect team in London to ensure the product is taken to scale for Phase 3 and create a path for greater scale in Nigeria beyond Phase 3, while remaining nimble and iterative in its overall design and delivery.
- Lead the overall project management of Girls Connect, including developing tools to effectively track programme and financial progress and ensuring activities are met to timeframe.
- Lead in shaping a complex partnership strategy and approach to Girls Connect involving tech, corporate, telecoms, media, NGO partners and supply side services and act as the focal point for all relationships (except NGO partners and supply side services as led by Gender Team Lead).
- Work closely with the Country Director and with global and local partnerships and gender teams to build partnerships that deliver the Girls Connect vision and strategy for Nigeria.
- Act as the key focal point for iSON in Nigeria, managing all aspects of the in-country relationship including project management, technical requirements and any troubleshooting issues.
- Support business development efforts for Girls Connect, providing proactive and reactive information about the programme to London teams and the Nigeria Country Director as they pursue potential investment leads.
- Work closely with relevant London teams and the Nigeria Country Director to generate and disseminate relevant marketing materials to potential business partners and to community audiences, ensuring that the brand’s visual identity is consistently applied.
- Manage content production processes.
Skills and Experience
- Substantial programme management experience working in the technology, media or international development sector
- Substantial, proven experience developing and taking a digital technology, media and/or social innovation project to scale
- Experience working on projects or initiatives with a focus on gender issues, specifically adolescent girls, is highly desirable
- Proven experience working in a developing country context
- High attention to detail and ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines
- Ability to communicate and develop relationships with a wide range of stakeholders, from senior level down to grassroots
- Ability to remain flexible and find solutions to challenges
- Strong negotiation skills
- Positive, energetic, can-do attitude
- Ability to work collaboratively in multicultural teams with varying expertise, skills and backgrounds
- Commitment to realising the potential of girls and to the vision and values of Girl Effect
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Girl Effect career website on girleffect-jobs.org to apply
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale