The American University of Nigeria was founded in response to the need for a world-class university in sub-Saharan Africa. The University’s mission is to provide quality education to Nigeria and Africa’s future leaders in order to equip them with the skills needed to solve development issues on the continent, and give them the knowledge needed to create solutions that will benefit their community, their country and, ultimately, the world.
Location: Yola, Adamawa
Department: AUN Clinic (Operating Theater)
- The Staff Nurse is charged with the responsibility of assisting in the assessment and implementation of patient care needs within the operating theatre and ensure all patients are treated in a professional manner and that confidentiality is adhered to.
- He/she will also provide skilled assistance without direct supervision to demonstrate procedures to the staff as required as well as performing operating theatre practice in accordance with established policies and procedures.
Detailed Listing of Responsibilities
- To participate as a scrubbed and circulating member of the nursing team during surgical procedures and carry out the necessary safety checks as laid down by policy and procedures.
- To assist in the preparation and clearing of the theatres in accordance with the daily operating lists.
- To demonstrate an understanding of and use of specialist equipment.
- To ensure that agreed stock levels are maintained and consumption levels are monitored and utilized effectively.
- To participate in on-call duties to provide 24-hour cover.
- To maintain safe and acceptable standards of practice in accordance with the Health & Safety at Work policies and the code of professional conduct.
- To report mishaps, accidents, and complaints to the Sister-in-Charge in accordance with health center policy.
- To keep abreast of new developments in operating team nursing to maintain professional awareness.
- To teach theatre nursing skills to new and junior members of staff where appropriate.
- To discuss and promote innovative procedures involving patient care.
- Nursing Certificate
- Valid License to practice/Nursing registration
- Minimum of Two(2) years of direct work experience
- Basic Nursing Ethic
- Ability to undertake self-directed tasks when necessary
- Flexible with time
- Ability to learn
- Attention to detail
- Capacity to prioritize by assessing situations to determine urgency.
Other requirements, abilities for the position:
- Skill in developing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy and confidentiality.
- Knowledge of and ability to apply professional medical principles, procedures, and techniques
- To ensure the communication of relevant information to appropriate persons.
- To promote and maintain good interpersonal relationships with all members of the team and with other departments within the health center.
- To assist with the instruction of new staff and demonstration of procedures and policies.
- Knowledge of pharmacological agents used in patient treatment
- Effective verbal and written communication skills along with proper telephone etiquette.
- Tactfulness and professionalism
Description of Benefits
Salary and benefits are commensurate with experience and job classification as approved by the University.
Method of Application
Applicants should submit their Resumes, cover letters and references to: firstname.lastname@example.org The position being applied for should be the subject of the email.