If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters, NORCAP, with over 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours’ notice when crisis occurs.
NRC initiated country operations in Nigeria in June 2015, in order to respond to the critical and increasing needs in the country. NRC currently has a full team based in Maiduguri and a coordination office in Abuja. NRC is currently providing services across various sectors namely; Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI); Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion (WASH); Food Security; and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) and subsequently Education in the coming months in order to address identified humanitarian needs.
In the coming months, the main focus for NRC would be conflict affected populations including IDPs, returnees and the local communities in Borno and surrounding North-eastern states of Nigerian. NRC is therefore looking for a Media and Communication Coordinator in our Area office in Maiduguri, Nigeria. The purpose of the Media and Communication Coordinator is to manage the media portfolio and support the programme strategy implementation process as well as the support functions portfolio. The Media and Communication Coordinator reports to the Area Manager
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Member of the Area Management Team
- Compliance with and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and handbooks and donor/auditor requirements
- Provide input on communication support to programme in the various Core Competencies.
- Responsible for ensuring production of quality media and communications materials for both internal and external audiences.
- Support the Protection and Advocacy Adviser in development and implementation of new country communications strategy in line with the NRC Global Communications strategy.
- Responsible for technical capacity building of programme staff to produce high quality communication materials
- Prepare Status Reports as required by Management.
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Responsible for press releases and media products to support membership initiatives
- Maintain list of media and establish professional media relationships for NRC in Nigeria.
- Produce communication and information products including annual/quarterly reports and initial drafts of articles for strategies, reports, press releases, newsletters etc.
- Ensure media monitoring and share its analysis periodically with management and staff.
- Support project/program communication products in liaison with project teams ensuring adherence to NRC standard communication and branding guidelines.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience from working with media and communication projects in a humanitarian/recovery context.
- University degree in media and communication or other relevant educational background combined with relevant professional experience
- Experience from working as a Media or Communication Coordinator in a humanitarian/recovery
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Knowledge of the humanitarian sector
- Fluency in English and Hausa, both written and verbal
- Context/ Specific skills, knowledge and experience
- Experience in producing varied communication materials
- Experience with coordinating communication and media content
- Working against tight deadlines and ensuring high quality standards
- Demonstrated ability or experience in finding new creative media angles and new platforms to present communications work.
- Experience in developing and using a variety of social media platforms
- Experience in building relationships.
- Strong communication, coordination and representational skills.
- Contextual knowledge of north east Nigeria is an asset.
- Ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision.
- Highest standards of ethics and integrity
- Ability to work in insecure environments
- Communicating with impact and respect
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Codes of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable
- Commencement: As soon as possible
- Contract period: One year starting September 2017 (with possibility of extension)
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s directions (GL 7 Step 1)
- Duty station: Maiduguri, Borno State (Involves travelling to a large degree)
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidate can submit their application letter and updated CV to the following e-mail address: email@example.com. The title of the position (Coordinator - Media and Communication) must be indicated in the subject line of your e-mail. Please notice that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
(any application after will not be considered).
- Please notice that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Please note that to apply at NRC is FREE!!!
- NRC does not ask for money or any form of favour for submission of application or employment.
- The Norwegian Refugee Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Women are particularly encouraged to apply to this position.