Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we collaborate to put bold solutions into action - helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within, now and for the future. In Nigeria, Mercy Corps operates in over 13 states focusing on key thematic areas of humanitarian response, conflict mitigation and adolescent girls’ empowerment.
Consultancy: menstrual health management
- The Educating Nigerian Girls in New Enterprises (ENGINE) programme is an initiative funded by DFID under its Girls’ Education Challenge Window (GEC). The first phase of the project started in October 2013 and ended in March 2017. In its first phase, marginalised girls between the ages of 16- 19 were supported to improve their learning outcomes and economic status. ENGINE I recorded successful implementation that saw to the enrolment of 24,489 in-school girls (ISGs) and out-of-school girls (OSGs) and completion of nine- month learning sessions at the safe space learning centres by 21,162 girls.
- Building upon the successes of ENGINE I, the second phase of the project ENGINE II started in April 2017 and will end in March 2020. It works with both in-school and out-of-school girls across the four states of Nigeria (Kano, Kaduna, Federal Capital Territory-FCT and Lagos Metropolis).
- ENGINE II is implemented at the State level through its implementing partners: AHI (Action Health Incorporated) for Lagos Metropolis, TCF (Tabitha Cumi Foundation) at Federal Capital Territory, SWODEN (Society for Women Development and Economic Empowerment of Nigeria) in Kano, and KHAN (Kindling Hope across Nations) for Kaduna.
- In order to achieve the overarching project goal, ENGINE II works in partnership with different public and private sectors such as, the Ministry of Education and its line agencies at the state level, National Youth Service Corps (NYSC), National Identity Management Commission (NIMC), Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Access Bank, Airtel, Twinings and Proctor and Gamble.
- In line with the project’s objective of improving the life chances of marginalised girls and transitioning them to better future, Mercy Corps and P&G under the ENGINE II programme is currently implementing a project called Let Girls Learn(LGL). The LGL project is implemented in ENGINE II project communities at 29 targeted communities in the FCT. The main objective of the project are:
- To enhance beneficiaries’ knowledge and practices on menstruation and menstrual hygiene.
- To create access to hygienic emergency sanitary products.
- To strengthen support structures within the school and communities to advance the reproductive health and rights of adolescent girls.
- To advocate for the provision of adequate water, sanitation and hygienic facilities including disposal options.
Rationale for the LGL intervention:
- The rationale for the Let Girls Learn program is based on several studies, which have articulated the challenges girls face, including poor access to comprehensive information on menstruation, lack of appropriate materials to manage menstrual bleeding, and inadequate WASH facilities.
- These have negative consequences in the life of a girl leading to loss of dignity, behavioural restrictions, and absenteeism from the school and potential reproductive health risks for the girls.
- In the first phase of implementing the ENGINE project, beneficiaries attended a nine months learning session were they were trained on various academic and non-academic modules.
- On ENGINE II, the focus is to support beneficiaries to attain functional literacy and numeracy and enhanced life skills.
- Therefore, the ENGINE II P&G Let Girls Learn project IEC materials to be deployed for training will be inclusive of Sexual and Reproductive Health information focusing on menstrual health management (MHM).
Objectives of the consultancy In order to obtain excellent results on output three, the ENGINE 2 project seeks the services of a consultant who is expected to achieve the following objectives utilizing a coherent robust and methodological approach which best fits the context of:
- Conduct a scooping study of the state of public schools’ menstrual health management systems in FCT and related policies then submit a detailed report – Here in, the consultant will conduct a desk review of existing Nigerian education health policies in relation to the menstrual health management systems obtainable in (29) public schools in FCT. Report/findings from this review will serve as a pathfinder for the ENGINE II Let Girls Learn project and development of the training and sensitization materials below.
- Review related hand books then develop content for Menstrual Health Management handbook for adolescent In-school girls – based on the above assignment, the consultant will then develop a handbook which contains practical and pictorial presentations on essential menstrual health management skills in a girl-sensitive manner. This is essential to ensure that beneficiaries understand the content and can be effectively used by the Girl Ambassadors/advocates for peer to peer education. It should focus on the following areas:
- Growth mind set
- Dynamics of the Menstruation period, Biological Factors: Age, Intensity of Menstruation, Cycle
- How do girls understand their personal cycle and how does this impact their experience
- How to manage menstruation at school
- How does cramping or headaches impact girls during menstruation? Does it affect school attendance?
- How does menstrual hygiene contribute to the mental wellbeing of teenage girls, e.g. self-esteem, inferiority complex, Reactions to how others treat them when menstruating, etc
- Understanding your cycle
- How to use an always pad
- Review existing/develop content for Menstrual Health Management pamphlets for adolescent In-school girls: This component is to enhance girls’ MHM skills and provide apt personal MHM information.
- Review existing Menstrual Health Management flash cards for teaching MHM to adolescent In-school girls: Instructional Aids to facilitate teenage/child friendly class lessons and School Club sessions e.g. the flashcards will be deployed to facilitate interactive Q&A sessions
- Review existing/develop content for Menstrual Health Management pamphlets for gatekeepers of adolescent In-school girls: This component is to be deployed to advocate for support from gatekeepers to enhance girls’ MHM skills and create a supportive environment for MHM. It is expected to give apt MHM information. Societal and cultural norms, environmental and social influences, personal perceptions, and personal biology may all determine how girls experience and manage menstruation, and those perceptions affect their education. Each of these levels of influence should be addressed, advocating for support. Also, environmental Factors: Water, Sanitation, & Resource Availability and its influence
Scope of work
- The consultancy will be carried out in FCT and the Consultant will liaise with the ENGINE II communication and programmes units for a desk review of the policies review report.
- Comprehensive report of the review of the state of public schools’ menstrual health management systems in FCT and related policies.
- Menstrual Health Management handbook, pamphlets and flash cards for adolescent In-school girls and gatekeepers keeping the assignment objectives in mind.
- Desk review and weekly progress updates during the course of the consultancy.
- Develop a layout for printing the final copies of the objectives above.
Required/ Preferred Skills and Experience
- Master's Degree in Public Health, Sociology, Communications, Gender, Social Sciences, or other related areas; Demonstration of 5 years’ experience of carrying out similar tasks especially on adolescent girls’ programmes.
- Working experience with international non-governmental and civil society organisations is desirable.
- Expert knowledge and practical experience in behaviour change communication in developing countries, preferably in Nigeria
- Experience designing educational, training of trainers, and behaviour change materials for audiences with low levels of literacy.
- Experience working in rural communities preferably in Nigeria in MHM related issues; an understanding of the deeply sensitive issues MHM brings up within communities and the tact and diplomacy to navigate contextual norms.
- Demonstrate ability to work autonomously and pay attention to detail.
Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- The Consultant(s) shall report directly to the Communication Advisor and FCT State Team Lead of the ENGINE II project. For coordination purposes, the FCT State Team Lead shall work in close contact with the ENGINE II project manager and deputy project manager based in Abuja.
The consultant will be responsible for:
- Submitting a detailed proposal in conformity with the specified ToR.
- Submission of all the required statutory documentation.
- Production of deliverables in accordance with contractual requirements
Terms of Reference for Consultancy
- To do a scooping study of the state of public schools’ menstrual health management, review related policies and handbooks, pamphlets and flash cards for ENGINE II Procter and Gamble Let Girls Learn programme.
Method of Application
Applicants should forward their CV's to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “ENGINE II P&G Let Girls Learn IEC Consultancy”.
For hard copy submission, please submit your proposals in a sealed envelope to:
Mercy Corps Nigeria,
#3, Adeleye Close,
Off Usman Sarki Crescent, Utako,
The following are the steps in the application process:
- Interested individuals/firms will send in a detailed proposal which will highlight the following:
- Profile of applicant(s) with details and qualifications of all that will be working on the team
- Detailed work plan outlining activities to be carried out with clear timelines.
- Budget including daily rate and samples of past work done
- Sequel to the close of application, an internal shortlist of candidates will be done based on experience, skills and qualification.
- ONLY shortlisted applicants will be invited for a defence of their proposals consequent upon which a final candidate will be selected.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale