If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
University Research Company (URC) is an international organization dedicated to improving the quality of health care, social services and health education with headquarters in Bethesda Maryland USA. URC is currently implementing a project called Applying Science to Strengthen and Improve Systems (ASSIST) funded by United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Nigeria mission. The program is designed to improve the well-being of vulnerable children and caregivers using quality improvement science methodology in Nigeria.
URC ASSIST Nigeria is currently soliciting for a talented and experienced Editor on a short-term basis to do substantive editing on success stories and case studies on vulnerable children in Nigeria
- To proofread case studies and success stories from URC sites in Nigeria by simply going over the text for basic grammatical and spelling errors and going over each word, sentence or phrase for errors
- To conduct line editing of case studies and success stories in order to plot holes, limited characterization, factual errors or syntactical. URC would like the editor to edit structural errors, tie together loose ends in the manuscript and to make sure that stories flow properly; we are particular about catching factual errors and verification of information. The editor will help to separate chapters and paragraphs so that they make more sense
- To conduct substantive editing which involves the rearranging, deleting, adding and rewording of entire pages and chapters where necessary
- Allocate print space for story text, photos, and illustrations according to space parameters and copy significance, using knowledge of layout principles.
- Plan the content of publications according to the publication's style, editorial policy, and publishing requirements and USAID branding requirement
- Verify facts, dates, and statistics, using standard reference sources
- To ensure that case studies and success stories have an interesting and catchy title.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Minimum of University degree in English, Social science or journalism or any other related discipline.
- Advance degree related to publishing and editorial work will bean added advantage
- At least a minimum often (10) years' professional experience in editorial work
- Good communications skills
- Strong computer skills with good working knowledge of Microsoft office and internet and other software for editing
- Fluency in both written and oral English required
- Willingness to travel within Nigeria.
Method of Application
Interested candidates should send a copy of their Curriculum Vitae (CV) and suitability letter to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org Please indicate the position you are applying for on the subject line of the emall Please provide a list of related assignment done and references to the client.
Note that URC will not provide travel allowance to attend an interview; candidates are expected to cover the cost of attending an interview in Abuja if short listed. CV should include daytime telephone number, email address, names and addresses of three referees with full contact details and daily consultancy expectations. Closing date is September 15, 2013. Due to the large number of applications we receive, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.