INTERSOS, is an independent non-profit humanitarian organization committed to assist the victims of natural disasters and armed conflicts. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, and respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable and unprotected people.
Location: Maiduguri, with frequent field mission (Ngala LGA), Banki, Monguno and Damasak Borno State
Starting Date: ASAP
Reporting to: Head of Mission
Supervision of: 1 Protection Expert, 1 CCCM Coordinator; overall 61 national staff (programme and support staff)
Duration of Contract: 5 Months
Dependents: Non-family Duty station
General Context of the Project
- The internally displaced persons (IDPs) are taking shelter in some relatively safe Local Government Areas (LGAs). The population of Greater Maiduguri, the capital of Borno state, has more than doubled; it has gone from 1 million to 2 million.
- The influx of people displaced from other areas of the state has worsened the situation of overcrowding in already inadequate living conditions.
- This places a huge strain on infrastructure, resources and basic services, as well as on the host communities.
- There are also great concerns for the LGAs, even though these areas are relatively safe compared to the deplorable shelter conditions faced by IDPs and host communities alike.
- In consideration of this context, INTERSOS is currently implementing programs to provide temporary and emergency shelters for internally displaced populations, Camp Coordination and Management.
- By doing so, the organization is improving protection and living conditions for IDPs living in host communities in the Ngala, Monguno, Banki and Damasak areas.
- Additionally, since 2015, INTERSOS has been conducting protection monitoring activities in Mayo-Tsanga, Mayo-Sava and Logone Et-Chary in Cameroun, in partnership with UNHCR, and community service interventions in favor of Nigerian refugees and asylum-seekers in the Minawao refugee camp, which hosts 62,328 refugees.
- Through this activity, the INTERSOS Cameroun mission is able to monitor a vast area along the border of the two countries including Waza, Fotokol and Kolofata.
- In this area, multiple incidents related to the forced return of Nigerian asylum-seekers to Nigeria have been detected and reported.
- The presence of INTERSOS personnel on both sides of the border has allowed the organization to develop an excellent understanding of the local dynamics.
- Supporting the same PoC both in Nigeria and in Cameroun is an added value that helps enhancing the programmatic synergies and the efficiency of communication between the staff from the two missions working at the border.
General Purpose of the Position:
- Under overall supervision of the Head of Mission, the Project Manager will be in charge of managing and monitoring the project activities, representing the organization, in Ngala, Banki, Monguno e Damasak, Borno State, Nigeria.
- S/he is responsible for the management, implementation, monitoring and follow up of all project components (shelter, CCCM, protection), funded by UNHCR.
- In addition, the PM monitors and supervises project staff to ensure timely and quality implementation of the project outputs as per agreement signed with the donor.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Supervise and evaluate the implementation of all the project activities (shelter, CCCM, protection);
- Plan, coordinate, monitor and evaluate the implementation of the shelter activities;
- Monitor and follow up the financial aspect of the project;
- Produce monthly internal report and mid-term and final report according with the Donor rules and regulation;
- Update INTERSOS internal Project Appraisal Tool (PAT) in order to insure the monthly update of the database;
- Manage and maintain the official relation with Local Authority, UN Agencies, NGO, Donors and other stakeholders related to the project activities at the field level;
- Manage and follow up of the procurement component in close coordination with the admin and log department;
- Actively participate to the cluster meeting related to the project sectorial priorities and share report and data collection with the HoM and the experts involved in the program;
- Support the HoM in the management of specific activities such as development of new project proposal and rapid assessments related to INTERSOS strategy in the country.
- University Degree in International Cooperation and/or other relevant sector related to the project component;
- At least 5 year international experience in similar role, international cooperation and emergency interventions;
- Previous experience in management of projects funded by UNHCR and knowledge of its procedures;
- Previous experience in CCCM and in protection activities is highly desirable;
- Previous working experience in Nigeria, for more than 6 months, is desirable;
- Strong experience in working with NGOs at coordination and management level;
- Good level of understanding of protection and CCCM principles and standards, humanitarian principles (including neutrality, impartiality and Do No Harm), SPHERE standard, International Human Rights Law and International Humanitarian Law;
- Capacity in managing funds, logistic and human resources;
- Good knowledge of MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook, and Skype;
- Good level of English (conversation, reading and writing) is required;
- Flexibility in responding to the continuous change of the humanitarian context and challenges at field level;
- Capacity in understanding and implementing a quality work system;
- Willingness to accept basic living standard and frequent field missions;
- Capacity to work and live in a multi-ethnic and multicultural context;
- Capacity to cope with stress.
Method of Application
Applicants should submit their CV's, Motivation letters and 2 references to: email@example.com with subject line: "Project Manager UNHCR - Nigeria”.
Note: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale