Since 1993, ACTED has been committed to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential. ACTED, headquartered in Paris, France is present in four continents and our teams intervene in 34 countries towards 8 million people, responding to emergency situations, supporting rehabilitation projects and accompanying the dynamics of development. Over 5,000 staff are dedicated to implementing and developing our projects.
In light of the displacement in the north-eastern part of Nigeria, ACTED has set up an office in Maiduguri to respond to the humanitarian needs. ACTED is therefore looking for a Shelter NFI Team Lead to support its mission in [Maiduguri].
About the job
The Shelter NFI Team Lead (SNFI team lead)’s primary function is to ensure the quality of the planning, implementation and follow up of all aspects of the Shelter and NFI activities being implemented by ACTED. Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
General Programming & Operations
- Ensure efficient and Effective program implementation while following the budget and work plan.
- To formulate and implement capacity building plans for field teams and individuals. Provide training to ensure field teams are able to carry out their duties.
- Manage field teams.
- Participate in preparing monthly/quarterly/annual highlights/ reports and proposals and budgets for donors.
- Mobilization of beneficiary communities to maintain the established/rehabilitated/protected Shelter Locations.
- Lead the SHELTER NFI team in carrying out monitoring and evaluation exercises.
Coordination and representation
- Collaborate with relevant Internal and External technical experts on SHELTER NFI issues.
- Support the Shelter Program Manager and Shelter Specialist by attending SHELTER NFI meetings and other relevant technical coordination meetings as needed
- Ensure integration of SHELTER NFI activities with other ACTED sectors.
- Coordinate with SHELTER NFI and Shelter counterparts in other locations in the implementation of common funded projects.
- Actively participate in internal coordination meeting
- Develop project plans and budgets for funding
- Develop the projects’ M&E tools
- Project implementation and reporting
- Ensure management of SHELTER NFI project grants through budget control.
- Monitor and Evaluate SHELTER NFI Projects.
- Ensure quality control during implementation of SHELTER NFI activities in accordance to Sphere and National standards.
- Prepare SHELTER NFI weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reports to relevant authorities as per need.
- Supervise SHELTER NFI Assistants.
- Provide technical and programmatic leadership for the SHELTER NFI staff members and community based mechanisms in operational areas as needed.
- Develop staff performance measurement and targets for the SHELTER NFI assistants and appraise them based on the set targets.
- Conduct daily field visits or as required to ensure SHELTER NFI tasks are going on as planned and mentoring - through technical back stopping and training of duty bearers.
Logistics / Finance
- Support the Senior SHELTER NFI Officer and Manager to monitor financial commitments and expenditures against budgets and provide timely feedback on budget follow-ups.
- Plan and coordinate proactively logistics and movements of staff from and to different operational areas.
- Initiate procurements and ensure their execution.
- Ensure distribution plans are prepared and shared with logistics in a timely manner.
- Contribute to grants management of all SHELTER NFI projects through management of day to day project expenditures.
All employees should master ACTED's core Principles: Independence, Neutrality, Non-discrimination, free and direct access to victims, Ethics, Professionalism, anti-Corruption, Transparency and Accountability
Moreover, we also expect the following:
- Minimum of one year working in humanitarian responses
- University degree in Urban Planning / Architecture, preferably with additional training on physical site planning and GIS;
- At least 2 years of experience in a similar role
- Previous working experience in humanitarian assistance program and urban planning an advantage
- Previous working experience in North East Nigeria an advantage
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility
- Prior experience working in IDP displacement locations
- Fluency written and spoken fluency in English and Hausa a must; additional fluency in Kanuri preferred
- Ability to work independently
- Contract length: 7 Months
- Level: D1-1 (national contract)
- Salary Range: 250,000 to 290,000-naira monthly
- Start date: As soon as possible Desirable
Method of Application
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English.
CV and Cover Letter indicating and explaining the suitability to the position applied.
Provide contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
Applications should be addressed to: The Recruitment Manager.
Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered. Please note: The position title and location must be written in the subject line of the e-mail otherwise not considered.
ACTED considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, colour, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability.
Due to the large numbers of expected applicants ACTED will only inform shortlisted candidates. We apologise for the inconvenience. Only short-listed applicants will be invited for written test and oral interview.
For general information about ACTED, please consult: www.acted.org