Oxfam is an international confederation of 17 organizations (affiliates) committed to creating a just world without poverty. In Nigeria Oxfam works in the areas of Economic Justice/Sustainable Livelihoods, Humanitarian Programming to save lives, Advancing Gender Justice and Good Governance, adopting a right based approach.
Annual Budget: Approx £280,000
Location: Flexible (subject to being able to establish a contract of employment and where the right to work can be obtained and/or maintained), This post will move to Nairobi by 2019 at the latest.
- Oxfam has launched a major new initiative to change the way we use digital technology to influence and leverage the power of people to end poverty. Over the next three years we aim to become one of the world’s leading digital influencing organizations using mobile, web and social media to drive, support and connect the actions, donations and offline participation of millions of people globally and nationally, south and north.
- We will do this by building on a base of digital excellence in our existing markets to create a more unified global voice and by empowering teams, especially in the global south, to use digital tools at a local level to create positive change. At the heart of this strategy is our new digital platform https://act.oxfam.org/international
- The successful applicant will be an exciting digital leader with experience of using mobile, web and social media to engage the public at a global level. They will be enthusiastic about the power of digital to connect people and amplify our voices to influence decision makers. They will be a creative problem-solver with the technical knowledge to lead by example and inspire a team to deliver transformational digital change in one of the world’s largest NGOs.
- Deputy Advocacy and Campaigns Director: Global Campaigns until April 2017
- Reporting to Oxfam International Head of Digital and matrix managed by Deputy Director Advocacy and Campaigns: Global Campaigns from April 2017
- Staff reporting to this post: Senior Digital Campaigner, Innovation and Technical Lead
Job Purpose - Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- This post is responsible for providing leadership and strategic direction to Oxfam’s digital campaigns teams and for the management and implementation of Oxfam’s global digital
- campaigns to achieve agreed objectives for mobilization, fundraising and impact at global and national level.
- The post holder will achieve this through close working relationships with OI global campaigns and public engagement staff, senior staff from Oxfam affiliates and at national level in priority countries.
Campaign leadership and coordination:
- Provide overall leadership, vision and strategic guidance to Oxfam’s digital WIN (Worldwide Influencing Network) project, implementing and regularly reviewing Oxfam’s global digital influencing strategy as well as internal tactics to ensure the successful implementation of this strategy.
- Ensure the definition and development of strategic and achievable priorities and objectives within a coherent and achievable digital influencing work-plan.
- Lead processes with internal and external stakeholders at a senior level to plan and deliver outstanding digital engagement combining advocacy, campaigns and fundraising focused on audiences across a range of digital channels.
- Ensure women’s rights are at the heart of our digital campaigns.
- Participate in key OI processes (campaign planning, OI strategic planning, annual campaigns budgets, etc.) as required.
- Lead implementation of some global calls to action, most likely those that need flexible resources.
- Ensure effective coordination, communication and consultation within Oxfam on campaign decisions, to maximize alignment to agreed priorities.
- Lead on institutional fundraising, to support global and national use of the platform.
- Ensure effective monitoring and evaluation processes of global calls to action and overall use of the digital platform to deliver objectives
One program approach and WIN implementation:
- Work with fundraising colleagues to ensure that Oxfam achieves agreed goals for recruiting donors and fundraising linked to the platform.
- Work closely with Public Engagement and program colleagues to ensure digital influencing is integrated into all Oxfam’s work and there is a holistic approach to engaging supporters and the public.
- Work closely with Public Engagement colleagues to ensure that digital WIN actions are integrated and aligned across audiences and digital platforms
- Work with heads of campaigns and a decision-making group to define 10 – 15 global calls to action annually and ensure their effective implementation.
- Collaborate with all Oxfam’s worldwide campaigns, and participate in other key OI processes (such as strategic planning) as required by the OI Advocacy and Campaigns Director and Deputy Advocacy and Campaigns Director.
Key Working Relationships:
- Digital campaign staff reporting to head of digital campaigns
- Campaign management teams and heads of the four worldwide campaigns
- OI Deputy Advocacy and Campaigns Director
- OI Head of Digital (expected to be appointed in April 2017)
- OI Public Engagement Director
- OI Advocacy and Campaigns Director
- OI Associate Director of Income and Supporter Development
- OI Senior Digital Engagement Manager and Digital Engagement Group
- OI Social Media Manager
- Public engagement and campaigns staff and decision makers in affiliates, regions and countries
Technical Skills, Experience & Knowledge
- Excellent global and national campaign leadership skills and experience.
- Strong team building and relationship management skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including high level presentation, lobby and media experience.
- Proven knowledge of digital technologies and techniques and their potential application for Oxfam’s online work.
- Outstanding knowledge of social media and understanding of its potential for engaging publics to directly influence decision makers.
- Understanding of gender analysis and commitment to promoting gender justice.
- Effective negotiation abilities and informal leadership skills in a multi-stakeholder, network environment
- Strong organizational and project management skills, ability to manage multiple projects to deadlines.
- Ability to think and operate strategically and creatively
- Ability to communicate clearly and work cooperatively in a cross-cultural setting
- Developing organizational strategies and plans for campaigns communication and measuring effectiveness
- Ability to provide clear recommendations and communicate complex digital issues in order to influence stakeholders, including senior managers, with varying degrees of technical understanding.
- Experience of using digital strategies to achieve fundraising goals.
- Fluent spoken and written English
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 12 weeks a year.
- Other languages, particularly French, Spanish, an advantage.
Key Behavioral Competencies (based on Oxfam’s Leadership Model)
- We are comfortable to make transparent decisions and to adapt decision making modes to the context and needs.
- We have the ability to engage with diverse stakeholders in a way that leads to increased impact for the organization We spot opportunities to influence effectively and where there are no opportunities we have the ability to create them in a respectful and impactful manner.
- We put ‘we’ before ‘me’ and place an emphasis on the power of the collective, nurture the team and play to the strengths of each individual.
- We are not concerned with hierarchical power, and we engage with, trust and value the knowledge and expertise of others across all levels of the organization.
- We understand the importance of building relationship, within and outside the organization. We have the ability to engage with traditional and non-traditional stakeholders in ways that lead to increased impact for the organization.
- We are good listeners who can see where deeper levels of thoughts and tacit assumptions differ. Our messages to others are clear, and consider different preferences.
- We can explain our decisions and how we have taken them based on our organizational values. We are ready to be held to account for what we do and how we behave, as we are also holding others to account in a consistent manner.
Agility, Complexity, and Ambiguity:
- We scan the environment, anticipate changes, are comfortable with lack of clarity and deal with a large number of elements interacting in diverse and unpredictable ways.
- We view problems as parts of an overall system and in their relation to the whole system, rather than reacting to a specific part, outcome or event in isolation.
- We focus on cyclical rather than linear cause and effect. By consistently practicing systems thinking we are aware of and manage well unintended consequences of organizational decisions and actions.
Strategic Thinking and Judgment:
- We use judgment, weighing risk against the imperative to act. We make decisions consistent with organizational strategies and values.
- We have the ability to identify and lead visionary initiatives that are beneficial for our organization and we set high-level direction through a visioning process that engages the organization and diverse external stakeholders.
- We are able to develop a high degree of self-awareness around our own strengths and weaknesses and our impact on others. Our self-awareness enables us to moderate and self-regulate our behaviors to control and channel our impulses for good purposes.
- We all work to effectively empower and enable others to deliver the organizations goals through creating conditions of success. We passionately invest in others by developing their careers, not only their skills for the job.
- We provide freedom; demonstrate belief and trust provide appropriate support.
- We give more freedom and demonstrate belief and trust, underpinned with appropriate support.
- Annual Salary and Benefits: In line with Oxfam values and subject to location
- Internal Job Grade: In line with Oxfam values and subject to location
- Contract type: Open-ended (subject to being able to establish an open-ended contract of employment)
w/c 4th September, 2017.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Oxfam career website on recruitment.oxfam.org to apply